The Forges of the Mountain King Chapter 1- Bottom's Up!

larryfinnjr

First Post
OOC: Just a note to say the southern trail at AH51 is about 50+ feet below where the Dwarves are at on the northern trail- the Dwarves will be impossible to see unless they are at the edge of the northern trail.

To reiterate the southern trail follows the river, at river level. The northern trail climbs upwards- hence the drop increasing to the river, and therefore the southern trail.

The outer edge of the mapped area are cliffs- it goes stright up.

See my half-arsed diagram- northern side rises, southern side same level, obviously I've drawn it as a straight, the actual layout is a, well... as you see- with curves.

Diagram here-

The Forges of the Mountain King

Cheers Goonalan

OOC: Bah, I should have paid more attention before MY half-arsed reply... Never even took the time to welcome Mardred back from the dead..... :)

Cinara, a few minutes earlier...

"Mardred. As you rose to the surface, I was overwhelmed by a feeling of rebirth. Maybe it's the spark of the Forge in me. Maybe it's simply because I be a lady. Either way, you've been given another chance to make your mark in the Dark. May the Soulforger cast you in his likeness and may you find the spark within you. Welcome back."

And later, in response to Len...

"Aye, I think we should check the other path before we force a dealing w/ our lost brothers over yonder by the falls. I'm not particularly light of step, though......"

Ressurectah

First Post
Krogan

OOC: On a chance that I look like a complete fool, I have to ask...
Did we remove the cloth from all the statues to hear the chanting?
If so, could someone write me what did they chant about..and if not, me and Threeways are more than happy to to do that, while Mardred is scouting ahead and the rest of the gang is formulating a plan...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
OOC: On a chance that I look like a complete fool, I have to ask...
Did we remove the cloth from all the statues to hear the chanting?
If so, could someone write me what did they chant about..and if not, me and Threeways are more than happy to to do that, while Mardred is scouting ahead and the rest of the gang is formulating a plan...

OOC: Look up serendipity in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of me grinning, actually that's not a grin, it's a little bit more mischevious than that. Thank you Krogan.

While five Dwarves hang around the exit of the chamber, watching the trails and in planning mode, Krogan... well.

The muffled chanting suddenly gets louder, and clearer, particularly when Krogan clears the third statue's blockages- he can't hear your shouts.

It's good to see that Krogan's weasel is helping, it is firmly affixed to his thumb- teeth sunk in to Krogan's flesh, the barbarian doesn't mind at all.

The Dwarven Statues sing heartily-

"Onward Moradin's soldiers, marching as to war
With the Hammer of Moradin, smiting all before."

Krogan turns around to grin at you.

And despite yourself you realise that you are tapping along to the beat- it's infectious, and uplifting.

Krogan goes one further, he sings-

"Kazz, the loyal Mouser, leans against the po;
Furry and she rattles see Miss Mineshaft go!"

Obviously Krogan didn't go to Sundag Skool, he doesn't know the words.

And still you tap away to the tune, genuinely moved, or else enthused.

OOC: You are +1 on all rolls, until you fail on a roll i.e. fall to hit, a save or a skill check.

Mardred suddenly gets your attention-

"Wun ov dem iz cumin'"

And sure enough, each of you takes it in turns to peer around the corner to the trail, a ragged-ass crossbow wielding Dwarf approaches along the path.

The creature seems to be shouting back every twenty feet or so to his companion, obviously you can't hear what he's saying- particularly now Krogan has cleared the fourth statue, as one you turn to stare at Krogan.

Krogan has his arms spread as if playing some invisible instrument of some sort, his head down- nodding backwards and forwards furiously- shaking his great mane of hair...

He surfaces a second to punch his fist in the air and mutter the phrase-

"Hard Rock!"

Meanwhile the ragged ass Dwarf approaches, he's about eighty feet away and closing quickly now...

OOC: Map later.

New Maps-

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/goonalan/Dwarf1/?g2_page=5

OOC: Again, thank you ressurectah- absolutely in character.

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
Cinara

Loud enough to be heard over the tune, Cinara rasps, "Mardred, come back inside the gate, quickly!"

Grabbing Mr. Rock Music by the arm, she points to the doorway. "Our grey brothers approach - on guard!"

I take a position on or about AI26 and wait for the team to pounch on the incoming guard.

hairychin

First Post
Len

"Me thinks an ambush is called for folks"

OOC: Len retreats to AN27 and flattens himself against the wall, awaiting the Dwarf's arrival

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Cinara

Loud enough to be heard over the tune, Cinara rasps, "Mardred, come back inside the gate, quickly!"

Grabbing Mr. Rock Music by the arm, she points to the doorway. "Our grey brothers approach - on guard!"

I take a position on or about AI26 and wait for the team to pounch on the incoming guard.

OOC: Mardred rushes back inside, and the DM apologises- on maptools set up as I have it if the players are hidden from the enemy then all you will be able to see is what's in the plyares vision i.e. no enemy. I had to hang Mardred out a bit so that the enemy were in his line of sight (and vice-versa) in order to make them visible.

Maptools is set in player vision mode becase in the DM vision then all the other elements of the map become visible, and all my tricks and traps etc. that are just off the map waiting to be dragged in.

Sorry about that- my bad.

Mardred wonders what the plan is- Cinara's ambush sounds good, he looks for somewhere to hide...

Is there any more to the plan?

Where are the others hiding, or if not hiding then what are they doing?

Mardred looks for answers.

Walking Dad

First Post
Thorgrim Wildaxe

Undaunted by his last mishaps, Thorgrim draws his axes and readies himself to charge, ones the enemies move in sight.

[sblock=OOC]

minor: draw waraxe
move: draw waraxe
standard: prepare charge using Marauder's Rush

[sblock=sheet]
Thorgrim Wildaxe
Played by Walking Dad
Dwarf Ranger Level 1

Perception: 17 Insight: 12 Low-light Vision

AC 14 Fortitude 15 Reflex 12 Will 12
Initiative: +1 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 13 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8

Hit Points: 33 / 33 Bloodied: 16
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Healing Surge Value: 8 Surges per day: 8 / 9
Milestones: 1

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Athletics +8, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +9, Heal +7, Perception +7.
Other Skills: Acrobatics 0, Arcana 0, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, History +0, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Religion +0, Stealth 0, Streetwise -1, Thievery 0.

Feats: Toughness, Dwarven Weapon Training.

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.
Prime Shot- +1 To Hit if closest to enemy with Ranged attack.

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
Melee Basic Attack (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (None):
Marauder's Rush (Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+8 damage (Wis bonus included in damage). Can use in place of Charge attack.
Twin Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe) +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage & +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Hunter's Quarry: You designate the nearest enemy as your Quarry and deal an extra 1d6 damage against the creature. The Quarry remains active until the creature is killed or you designate a different enemy as Quarry. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
Off-Hand Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+6 damage. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
Sudden Strike (Waraxe & Waraxe): +6 vs AC 1d12+2 damage. Regardless of hit or not Shift 1 square and make a secondary attack against the same target. +6 vs AC 2d12+6 damage, and the target is Weakened until the end of your next Round.

Conditions:

[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Pinotage

Explorer
Kazzagin's head flipped backward as the last of the clothes fell from the mouths of the status. "This be not good," he remarked to himself, but it was good to see everybody else jump into action so quickly. Lifting his shield into readiness and gripping his battleaxe tightly, he took an ambush position close to where the dwarf was going to approach. "I be thinking," he whispered quickly to his allies, "that we be catching the dwarf. That we be finding answers. This dwarf perhaps be the only friend in miles of tunnel."

[SBLOCK=Kazzagin]Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 99)

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 13 / 13

Resist:

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.

Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 2d10+5 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Paladin's Judgement (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 3d10+4 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

Gold: 39 gp 6 sp[/SBLOCK]

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And around the corner our guy comes, did I say ragged Dwarf- that's not the half of it, let's start from the top down.

The Dwarf is missing clumps of hair and beard, his skin is in places rubbed raw, with dried blood here and there. His eyes are milky white with pinprick irises, as he opens his mouth you can see stumps of teeth and gaps, and bloody gums- he slavers.

His clothes are matted with filth, about the only thing that seems to have been kept in good working order is the crossbow he clutches in his hands, cocked and ready to fire.

He opens his mouth to speak and in a slurred, almost drunken, voice states- Now! Dead are you." Then snorts and drools.

He sees you, and you see him; but you knew he was coming, he only heard the sounds.

You have a surprise round- that's one action each, and just to make it quicker I'm going to roll initiative for you all.

OOC: Whoops, we'll take Len's first roll

[sblock=Combat]

Encounter #1 The Ravine

Turn: 1

Initiative (* = Next to play)

20 Len*
15 Thorgrim
15 Kazzagin
14 Krogan
13 Mardred
13 Cinara

HP & Conditions

PCs
Cinara 29/29 Surges 10/8
Kazzagin 31/31 Surges 13/13
Krogan 34/29 Surges 10/8
Len 29/29 Surges 11/11
Mardred 25/25 Surges 7/7
Thorgrim 33/33 Surges 9/8

Monsters

Ragged Dwarf #1

Actions To Date

Turn #1

[/sblock]

OOC: Remember one action only, you have a surprise round on the guy, and you're +1 on all rolls until you miss....

New Map-

The Forges of the Mountain King

Last edited:

Pinotage

Explorer
The dwarf rounding the corner surprised Kazzagin likely as much as the dwarf was surprised by their presence. He'd not expected to see something is such a disheveled state, let alone a dwarf. The Gaffer had said he feared these dwarfs, and Kazzagin could see why. The wild look was certainly unsettling.

Raising his shield high, he called out the dwarf. "You be surrendering or you be facing me in battle." The power of his challenge rang through the room. He knew they had to finish this quickly before the dwarf could escape or call for aid. Pelor guide me!

OOC: Minor - Divine Challenge on ragged dwarf. Marked.

[SBLOCK=Kazzagin]Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 99)

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 13 / 13

Resist:

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:

Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 2d10+5 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.

Paladin's Judgement (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 3d10+4 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

Gold: 39 gp 6 sp[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases