The Forges of the Mountain King Chapter 1- Bottom's Up! - Page 17





+ Log in or register to post
Page 17 of 97 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 966
  1. #161
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Goonalan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grimsby, UK
    Posts
    3,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Goodman Games D&D

    ø Ignore Goonalan
    OOC: Gents, my sincere apologies for missing all the fun, but a family emergency came up that coincided with my parents' visit. I apologize for my sudden dissappearance, but as of today, I'm back on the grid. I've done my best to catch up on what I've missed...seems Cinara's been slacking as much as her owner. If there's a chance for a quick, succinct summary of what happened since getting to the front door, I'd reaaaly appreciate it.



    OOC:
    The Gaffer has this to say en route-

    "I'll tell you what I know about the Tannheim, for whatever good it will do. The rumour is the Tannheim were a 'specialist' clan, they were interested in dangerous things that were best kept secret, dangerous and powerful. They chose a life of isolation, even during their glory years, which were certainly more than a century ago. The Tannheim had as many friends on the topside, the humans and the like, as they had in the Halls, perhaps more."

    The Gaffer scratches his chin.

    "They were a strange bunch for other reasons, or so it was said, they worked for others- any creatures that had power and new knowledge, they constructed devices for specialist customers- the Lords of Nentir, and particularly Fallcrest made use of their skills. But they were not alone, they made deals with Tieflings and others."

    The Gaffer lets this new information sink in, before continuing on-

    "They created, it is said, great forges- forges that were possessed of intelligence, they crafted mighty magic items using strange metals that were said to come from beyond the stars. You asked what you should do here, I suggest find these forges... if they exist. If you could relight them, well... you and your kind would have the key to great power, should you be able to control them."

    The Gaffer shakes his head some more....

    "But it will not be easy, the story goes the Tannheim clan were wiped out in a single night... although how anyone would know this- whatever it was that destroyed them, well it may lurk still within the halls. There are a thousand stories about why, and how, and... But the one that I favour is a creature beyond death now stalks the Lost Forge- a Lich, a creature already death that commands powers to destroy- something happened, some internal problem, some corruption- that's what I believe, but... I've never been there, not inside- what do I know."

    One last thing...

    "There are Dwarves there, I have never seen them, but... I can smell them, they are not like me or you, they are not like the Tannheim, they are... I don't know, odd- I smell their jumbled minds- wild and uncontrolled, maddened. I don't know who they are... but I fear them."

    Three days later arrive at the remains of the tower you are in at the moment-

    Rising out of the Underdark lake, the once-mighty tower is now little more than a trio of crumbling walls. Built of massive blocks of rough-hewn stone, the tower must have once been several stories in height.

    Through the broken stone door, you can see the rotten remains of collapsed timbers (now no more than a muddy mess) and debris in a pile in the centre of the chamber some three or four feet high. A cold wind whistles through the stones, the low chanting seems to rise and fall with the wind.

    You move closer, allow your light to search out and illuminate all within.

    The interior of the tower is littered with debris: thick wooden beams, broken slate shingles, and fallen stone blocks. The half-collapsed roof leaves much of the tower cloaked in shadows. Statues — four in all — stand in the dark corners of the tower. Each depicts a dwarf arrayed in battle armour.

    At the far side of the tower a rusty metal gate hangs awkwardly there seems to be a passage beyond, through the ruined building.

    The chanting is definitely louder within the tower, though still muffled.

    It is readily apparent that the statues are the source of the muffled chanting.

    There are no creatures present, save perhaps for a lone rat (not monstrous in any way) which sits up to stare back at you.

    The PCs investigate

    The statues are chanting- Dwarven prayers, they are complex wind chimes (of a sort) all of them have been blocked up by rags and stone, Krogan clears one out- it is indeed some sort of religious chant but difficult to make out.

    Mardred discovers one of the statues is pointing in a slightly different direction to the others, he finds a button and presses it, the secret door opens.

    Inside a dead Dwarf- unarmed, skeletal- find a set of Thieves Tools and a piece of paper which states-
    Then he remembers the paper, carefully unfolds it and reads the following- written in Davek (the Dwarven tongue)-

    "At the gates of gilded blood,
    one click sinister, then shun both extremes.
    Keep to the centre, keep your life."

    Also within a chest/locked metal box, Mardred drags it out and gets to work-
    There's a satisfying click.

    "Simple as that fellas"

    Mardred kicks open the lid, within is a single wooden box, swathed in white silk. Mardred gingerly lifts the box out, "bugger, it's 'eavy!", and then begins to unwrap the silk. The silk is emblazoned with dwarven sigils warding against death and destruction, and ring a crude image depicting the destruction of a city (or perhaps of the world?) in a rain of fire.
    That’s not all-
    Mardred grins at Krogan, "dangerous", he chuckles.

    And then opens the wooden box.

    Inside the box are three small pouches, each marked with a stylized skull and weighing — amazingly — over 5 lbs each.

    Mardred lifts a pouch out and puts the box back down, he grins some more, and then opens the pouch-

    Marder's face is illuminated by a golden glow.

    The pouches contain what appear to be iron filings that sparkle with the light of a starry sky. However they're moving- the fillings are in constant motion, moving top to tail in seemingly random directions- millions of them at at once.

    The effect is a little hypnotic, Mardred opens his hand for all to see.
    OOC: Imagine a bunch of sparkly iron fillings behaving like mexican jumping beans- constantly moving top-to-tail, in random directions over and under each other.


    Then the floor collapses, a pair of Fire Beetles appear, and... from post #107 we’re in combat.

    Now you know everything.
    Check out my 4E Campaign- HARD CORE a final attempt to play through the WOTC core modules- obviously we've made a few changes along the way.

    Or else there's my Let's Play scenarios, a bunch of one-off games, mostly, you'd best go check out the list.

    Let's Play series also available, all in one place, at Obsidian Portal.

 

  • #162
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Goonalan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grimsby, UK
    Posts
    3,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Goodman Games D&D

    ø Ignore Goonalan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressurectah View Post
    Krogan will whip the yellow gunk from his many notched greataxe. Satisfied that he managed to pulverize that annoying bird, with a big smile he started to take out Threeways out of the sack, so that the little creature could share his enjoyment with battle over in their favor. While doing so, Krogan heard the screams of Mardred and quickly rushed to help Kazzagin with the rope and his balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryfinnjr View Post
    Cinara

    "Madred!"

    Fearful that not only the floor below might be collapsing on the thief, Cinara is worried that our own floor could fall in as well. <fast Dungeoneering check to determine if we may be at risk, too> [edit - obviously I know nothing of Tannheim construction efforts!]

    Knowing she doesn't have as much to add with physically aiding those rushing to the rope, Cinara kneels down, places her hand upon the ground, closes her eyes, and whispers a prayer to the Great Forge and calls upon the stone to speak, looking for Madred's exact location below. <Stone Speak, +5 to percep to detect hidden creatures, with a hope she can reach out to him for a likely much-needed Healing Word across the gap.>


    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dad View Post
    Thorgrim Wildaxe

    Thorgrim breaths heavily before saying:
    "'Gahd thin' I loosened for yah, right?"



    "I said that damned thin' isn't secure. Hold on, Kazz!"

    Thorgrim bellows as he moves as quickly as his can at the moment to hold the dwarf fast. But he stumbles and falls on the floor just before the hole...

    OOC


    He is cursed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinotage View Post
    Everything started to happen really quickly. "Mardred!" Kazzagin called as the squire started screaming down in the hole. It wasn't like Mardred to scream like some elf woman, so something must be amiss. Half a thought of jumping down into the hole crossed his mind before he remembered the rope and started to pull as hard as he could. "Come on! You be coming out!" He grunted and strained, while his feet slipped ever closer to the hole itself.

    OOC: Athletics Check to keep hold of Mardred and prevent himself from slipping into the hole. I've only included the Armor Check Penalty for his plate armor, as he is not currently using his shield.
    Lots of things happen at once, not all of them good- Kazzagin grimaces and strains keeps the rope in hand and slowly, too slowly- hand-over-hand, begins to haul the rope in, there's a lot of earth however it seems between Mardred and him. Perhaps as much as ten feet of rope have been played out when the collapse happened, Kazzagin has only reeled a foot of it in.

    Krogan is quick on the scene, and doubles the effort- Mardred comes quicker now- another foot is reeled in (eight left to go until he's out).

    Cirana is quickly on the scene, there's little she can do to help the physical effort, that said by looking at the movement of the sones and soil she can pinpoint fairly accurately Mardred's location beneath the surface- if she had something long and thin there's a chance she could punch through to the buried dwarf and create an air-hole effectively.

    Either way her efforts are having an effect, the rope comes quicker now, another two feet (six to go).

    Thorgrim alas is on the floor, he seems to be clutching at his groin area, certainly his eyes are watering profusely.

    OOC: Waiting on Len, I'll roll for Mardred after- you need to get the poor fool to the surface, if he's not out by the end of the next round then he starts losing Surges- this round he's holding his breath, trying to keep his mouth closed etc.
    Check out my 4E Campaign- HARD CORE a final attempt to play through the WOTC core modules- obviously we've made a few changes along the way.

    Or else there's my Let's Play scenarios, a bunch of one-off games, mostly, you'd best go check out the list.

    Let's Play series also available, all in one place, at Obsidian Portal.

  • #163
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    hairychin's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bicester, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    149

    ø Ignore hairychin

    Len

    Tucking the shiny blue axe in his belt Len rolls up his sleaves as he makes his way to the hole. He spits on his hands and takes a firm grasp of the rope 'Lets sees what we can do 'ere', he says, and puts his back into it.

  • #164
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Goonalan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grimsby, UK
    Posts
    3,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Goodman Games D&D

    ø Ignore Goonalan
    Quote Originally Posted by hairychin View Post
    Tucking the shiny blue axe in his belt Len rolls up his sleaves as he makes his way to the hole. He spits on his hands and takes a firm grasp of the rope 'Lets sees what we can do 'ere', he says, and puts his back into it.
    And the rope comes up from the dirt, another two feet of it- that's only four feet to go...

    Mardred.

    Down below Mardred is in a very dark world and panicking alightly (actually a lot), he has no idea which way is up and yet he seems to be being pulled in one direction- he figures that must be the way to go.

    Mardred however knows he's not the most Athletic Dwarf and so attempts instead to reach out with his hands along the rope and make himself as streamlined as he possibly can.

    OOC: Like superman, his arms before him.


    He begins to kick with his feet also- like a swimmer.

    OOC: That's good- all checks to pull Mardred free have now been reduced, almost there and we're effectively in a new round- anyone can try again.
    Check out my 4E Campaign- HARD CORE a final attempt to play through the WOTC core modules- obviously we've made a few changes along the way.

    Or else there's my Let's Play scenarios, a bunch of one-off games, mostly, you'd best go check out the list.

    Let's Play series also available, all in one place, at Obsidian Portal.

  • #165
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    larryfinnjr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    581

    ø Ignore larryfinnjr
    Cinara

    Knowing the rope must be making its way through loose earth and also have a fix on where Mardred is located, Cinara slides to the opposite side of her stronger kin. On all fours, she makes her hand an arrowhead, her arm the shaft, her shoulder the bow. She thrusts her into the loose soil as far as it will go along the rope line, waiting to hopefully come in contact with her trapped companion. The moment flesh meets flesh, she'll attempt to lock hands with him upon the rope in an effort to help secure him to the rope. She'll also prepare a Healing Word for the same moment, expecting him to already be injured from the initial cave in.

  • #166
    Sweat started to form in his hair and his beard as Kazzagin strained against the weight of the dirt. "You be coming, Mardred," he called, trying to encourage the drowning dwarf to hold tight. His mind turned to the rope. How much had he drawn back? How much was still to come? He strained harder, thinking there was even more rope, or imagining it. Grunting he leaned back, putting his body weight behind the pull as well.

    OOC: Athletics Check to keep hold of Mardred and pull him from the hole.

    Kazzagin
    Kazzagin
    Played by Pinotage
    Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 83)

    Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

    AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
    Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
    Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

    Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
    Temporary Hit Points: 0
    Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 13 / 13

    Resist:
    Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

    Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

    Languages: Common, Dwarven.

    Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
    Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

    Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

    Traits:
    Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.

    At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
    Melee Basic Attack (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage.
    Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
    Holy Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
    Valiant Strike (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 1d10+4 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

    At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
    Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
    Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

    Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
    Radiant Smite (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 2d10+5 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

    Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
    Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
    Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
    Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

    Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
    Paladin's Judgement (Battleaxe): +7 vs AC 3d10+4 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

    Conditions:

    Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

    Gold: 39 gp 6 sp

  • #167
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Goonalan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grimsby, UK
    Posts
    3,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Goodman Games D&D

    ø Ignore Goonalan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinotage View Post
    Sweat started to form in his hair and his beard as Kazzagin strained against the weight of the dirt. "You be coming, Mardred," he called, trying to encourage the drowning dwarf to hold tight. His mind turned to the rope. How much had he drawn back? How much was still to come? He strained harder, thinking there was even more rope, or imagining it. Grunting he leaned back, putting his body weight behind the pull as well.

    OOC: Athletics Check to keep hold of Mardred and pull him from the hole.
    The rope comes up much easier now, and so does Mardred, in to the reach of Cinara who grabs at Madred's hands- and grips tight, she pulls- the tips of Mardred's fingers break the surface... one more pull, who's going to be the hero?
    Check out my 4E Campaign- HARD CORE a final attempt to play through the WOTC core modules- obviously we've made a few changes along the way.

    Or else there's my Let's Play scenarios, a bunch of one-off games, mostly, you'd best go check out the list.

    Let's Play series also available, all in one place, at Obsidian Portal.

  • #168
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    larryfinnjr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    581

    ø Ignore larryfinnjr
    Cinara

    Mardred will not die. Not here, not today. Her head thrown back to the sky, a near primordial voice erupts from Cinara's mouth:

    "Lord of the Soulforge, hear my prayer! Burn the dross from our hands and legs; leave nothing but iron behind, that we may have the strength to tear Mardred's flesh from stone and soil!"

    Cinara's strength comes not from within, but from without.

    <not sure if it's needed, but throwing in a Religion check to maybe see how well my prayer is received>

    WOOT! If there were ever time for a crit roll, I think it's here!

    OOC: Goonalan - thank you so much for the summary post - was exactly what I needed!

  • #169
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Ressurectah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    90

    ø Ignore Ressurectah

    Krogan

    While pulling the rope with Kazz, Krogan was confident that Mardred will be fine. Not so much as to which state he was expecting to find Mardred when we pull him up, but as for the words of Cinara. He could swear that there was a warm and tingly sensation on the back of his neck when she spoke that prayer... The Big one is close to this girl..Krogan will remember that.
    Giving one last pull, Krogan realized he was glad that this group shows promise... maybe, just maybe we could actually pull this adventure off.


    OOC: Together with Kazz, I make one last pull so that M could take his breath once again...

  • #170
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Goonalan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grimsby, UK
    Posts
    3,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Goodman Games D&D

    ø Ignore Goonalan
    Quote Originally Posted by larryfinnjr View Post
    Cinara

    Mardred will not die. Not here, not today. Her head thrown back to the sky, a near primordial voice erupts from Cinara's mouth:

    "Lord of the Soulforge, hear my prayer! Burn the dross from our hands and legs; leave nothing but iron behind, that we may have the strength to tear Mardred's flesh from stone and soil!"

    Cinara's strength comes not from within, but from without.

    <not sure if it's needed, but throwing in a Religion check to maybe see how well my prayer is received>

    WOOT! If there were ever time for a crit roll, I think it's here!

    OOC: Goonalan - thank you so much for the summary post - was exactly what I needed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressurectah View Post
    While pulling the rope with Kazz, Krogan was confident that Mardred will be fine. Not so much as to which state he was expecting to find Mardred when we pull him up, but as for the words of Cinara. He could swear that there was a warm and tingly sensation on the back of his neck when she spoke that prayer... The Big one is close to this girl..Krogan will remember that.
    Giving one last pull, Krogan realized he was glad that this group shows promise... maybe, just maybe we could actually pull this adventure off.


    OOC: Together with Kazz, I make one last pull so that M could take his breath once again...
    And bursting from the ground comes Mardred, spitting dirt and now he's in the clear struggling- fighting off invisibile enemies (and shrugging off loose dirt which has got everywhere), like some frenzied weasel hanging off a barbarian's finger.

    Till...

    <FLOP>

    Mardred lets go the rope and collapses back to the floor (clear of the hole)... the Dwarf lies there testing limbs, he has still not opened his eyes.

    And when he does it's slowly at first, with one arm to shield his vision- standing around him staring down are the five of you, expectant...

    "Am I dead... is this the 'all of Moradin, will I be foetid by dusky Dwarven maidens with tickly beards?"

    Mardred doesn't wait long for your answer- he has one of his own.

    "Who's bluddy stupid idea was that? You...", Mardred points at Kazzagin, "You can shove it up yer wotnot Mr. 'igh-almighty- I'm me own Dwarf me. I dun some bad fings, of which I ain't proud, but we all din grow up wid a silver spatula in our gob-hole." Mardred is building up a head of steam.

    "So I say- I ain't your squire... I be born again, an you don't get to shove me down 'oles- not when I don wanna go, you need me as much as I need you... square-deal, we're in dis togevver. Right!"

    Madred doesn't wait for an answer, he's back on his feet, and clearly fine.

    OOC: He was underground for just over ten seconds- not quite 2 turns.


    "Right, what's the plan? We done here? We moving on? Do you want me to look afta that bag o'money?"

    OOC: In your next posts then please provide answers to the above questions- if you want Mardred to do something then suggest it to him, in whatever style you wish.


    OOC: Until ripjames reappears then I'm (obviously) playing Mardred.


    OOC: 16 XP each, that was a Skill Challenge- obviously.
    Check out my 4E Campaign- HARD CORE a final attempt to play through the WOTC core modules- obviously we've made a few changes along the way.

    Or else there's my Let's Play scenarios, a bunch of one-off games, mostly, you'd best go check out the list.

    Let's Play series also available, all in one place, at Obsidian Portal.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 17 of 97 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 32
      Last Post: Friday, 6th September, 2013, 06:12 PM
    2. Replies: 267
      Last Post: Friday, 23rd September, 2011, 01:09 PM
    3. Goonalan's- Forges of the Mountain King PC- Dwarves Only
      By Goonalan in forum Character Builds & Optimization
      Replies: 68
      Last Post: Wednesday, 21st September, 2011, 04:38 PM
    4. Forges of the Mountain King PBP- Closed
      By Goonalan in forum Gamers Seeking Gamers
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: Monday, 13th June, 2011, 12:36 PM
    5. Dungeon Crawl Classics 54: Forges of the Mountain King
      By JoeGKushner in forum Fan Reviews
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Wednesday, 4th February, 2009, 06:38 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •