Summer Vacation

After playing at least weekly since the release of 3.5, DMing a 4E game at home in a completely homemade campaign (about as completely as those things can be, anyway) since August of '08, fiddling with my own "rules light" 4E system almost constantly, and organizing and running a table at Encounters since the first season (snagging one of the 900 "thanks for being a great DM" kits from WotC in the process) I'm taking the summer off.

This isn't one of those "I'M DONE WITH D&D FOREVER!!!1!!" posts.

I started with D&D in the late 80s. Played a friends Basic game and ran my own Advanced game. Took my first break after the TSR 2nd Edition revamp in the late 90s. Career, women, moving all over the country (US), the usual. But I came back. Of course I did.

I've been reflecting on why I'm taking a break this time but I can't explain it, exactly.

WotC has disappointed, for sure. But I'm a mature adult and played through the worst of TSR; I can deal with disappointment. And to paraphrase a great TV show theme song "Take my edition, take my minis, take me where I can't use your digital tools. I don't care, I'm still free: you can't take my home game and house rules away from me." (Hmmm... doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, does it?)

Some friends have moved away, but I've made more new friends at Encounters.

I still love the game and the idea and the rituals.

I don't know why. But I've felt for quite a while that it was time to pull back.

I've been weening myself away for quite a while. Stopped my home campaign last spring. Stopped playing last summer. Stopped fiddling with game design last fall. Stopped posting and reading here and on other forums/blogs for the most part last winter. I haven't spent money on D&D since I won a huge dungeon tiles auction in January (2 of every non-essentials set! Jiminy Cricket, I could't pass that up!) And now I've stopped with Encounters this spring.

Not going to Encounters last night felt right.

Has anyone else out there done this? I guess I'll only hear from the ones who did and came back.

I hope to see you all real soon.

Until then, may all your campaigns feature an immortal gnome sorcerer.

Last edited:

Colmarr

First Post
I gave D&D away in 2005 when I moved from Sydney to Coffs Harbour, leaving my gaming group behind. If it weren't for 4e, I probably never would have come back.

Enjoy the break. D&D loves you, so it will set you free, but if you don't come back...

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Since starting 4e, I haven't gone cold turkey like that...

That said, the 6 month breaks from DMing while we alternate campaigns have been a god send for my sanity, my plot, and my will to continue DMing.

jbear

First Post
Enjoy your summer!

(No, I haven't felt like that, but do what feels right! Because that's the right thing to do!)

Remove ads