chessex and you

Balgus

First Post
hey- I was just ordering some really cool lookin dice- and wondered "how many gamers out there have these dice? They are cool...Am i unique? or is this a common thing to own?" and then came the thpought 'how many figures do people have? do they carry them around in chessex cases? or homemade/ other boxes' (i have a tacklebox lined with cotton)

do you have anything special about minis you would like to share?

Balgus said:
hey- I was just ordering some really cool lookin dice- and wondered "how many gamers out there have these dice? They are cool...Am i unique? or is this a common thing to own?"
Hey, I just ordered some of these for Xmas presents. About a year ago, Chessex made one batch of these "old time" dice. They sold out fairly quickly, because I tried to order some but they were out. Apparenetly, they sold well enough to be put in the regular product line.

Balgus

First Post
do you have a picture of the "old time" dice? I only have like 12 sets of dice... far ways to go before i am happy- but am working my way to it.

dshai527

First Post
I had several of the "Crystal" dice sets that i loved and used all the time, until they were stolen. I jumped on the chance to get some new ones when chessex released these and I have to say that they are nice. They are not as heavy as the originals and they are VERY VERY sharp. They will damage your matts if rolled directly onto them. They even have a disclaimer on the box warning you not to step on them. I do like them but I really really miss my originals.

P.S.
I once got asked not to use them (the originals) at a Con when I rolled 8 20's in a row with them after rolling a charcater with 5 18's and a 16. to use in the game, my players also outlawed me from using them when I was DM. Man I miss those dice.:(

Last edited:

ced1106

Explorer
Duh... I always thought these sorta dice were standard, but I'm an old timer. What's the new standard?

Since I play MageKnight, I'm pretty much switching to their figures. Much easier to transport (and paint (; than metal figs. Can't wait for the 1.5" square / hex battlemats.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Balgus

First Post
dshai57:
I once got asked not to use them (the originals) at a Con when I rolled 8 20's in a row with them after rolling a charcater with 5 18's and a 16. to use in the game, my players also outlawed me from using them when I was DM. Man I miss those dice
We had a DM that loved his Palm pilot. He used it to roll dice- which i feel is not random at all.

It would either roll 1,2,3 or 18,19,20. For some reason, he would either crit or fumble... We banned that thing at the table too. Sure it was great when he would spent 3 hours on a BBEG and then have him swing a sword, lose the grip, and fling it 40 ft in a random direction, but it also sukked when he would hit you with crit after crit after crit- i died twice in a game once...

Balgus

First Post
ced1106:
Duh... I always thought these sorta dice were standard, but I'm an old timer. What's the new standard?
Since I play MageKnight, I'm pretty much switching to their figures. Much easier to transport (and paint (; than metal figs. Can't wait for the 1.5" square / hex battlemats.
Yeah- but the ones that i see people using are the polished ones. these are raw translucent. Sharp edges... hehe
And plus- no one just has plain translucent anymore- there is always speckled, or volcanoe, or marbled... nice clear (very clear ones) are , in my opinion, the most beautiful dice there is...

I tried Mage Knights. There is just not enough detail to justify painting them. Plus, you buy them blind (in a sealed box) and so it's not worth it cause i liek to know what i am geting- especially if I have a specific character in mind.

dshai:
I had several of the "Crystal" dice sets that i loved and used all the time, until they were stolen.
I am sorry man. I have a set of d6 crystal dice that are my prized ones. shhhh- don't tell my other dice... but yeah- i only use them for special occasions like character generation and life or other very important rolls. Otherthan that- they stay in their bag.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I guess those dice are nice if you like looking at dice, but I'll be damned if I'd allow them at my table. Anything where you can't see the numbers from across the table is bad news. Heck, I'd have trouble seeing those numbers if they were right in front of me.

King_Stannis

Explorer
MeepoTheMighty said:
I guess those dice are nice if you like looking at dice, but I'll be damned if I'd allow them at my table. Anything where you can't see the numbers from across the table is bad news. Heck, I'd have trouble seeing those numbers if they were right in front of me.

I agree 100%. I can't stand it when my players use their fancy black&gray swirled dice with red numbers, etc. I had one player with a dice similar to this and he would literally roll, pick it up, stare at it, think about the result, and then announce whether it was a hit or not. Each dice roll took a good 20 seconds, all said and done. Used to drive me nuts!

What the hell is wrong with pale blue and black numbers... or yellow and black numbers... or white and black numbers....you get the idea.

CCamfield

First Post
ced1106 said:

Inked numbers. :D

I once did a direct order of dice from Chessex, and it worked out pretty well. Good customer service.

Most recently I picked up a set of clear Borealis dice (from Chessex). Their website doesn't really do justice to the way the little particles inside the dice reflect light in a blue-green glow. Nifty...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases