[Trailer] Torchwood: Miracle Day

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
He one problem I had with torchwood was that they seemed singularly ineffective at everything; in the first series their involvement normally lead to the death of the person they were trying to help, in Children of Men it seemed that Jacks big plan was to shout at the 457 which didn't work out that well.

I thought the premise had promise but the execution failed afaic all the way along the line.

Krug

Newshound
Latest episode was rather meh. A lot of it felt like filler, particularly
Harkness' reaction to arsenic
. This is going to be ten eps? Think they're over stretching the concept.

Mallus

Legend
After the 2nd episode... I'm loving it. I thought the whole "improvise antidote in midair!" scene, complete with cutting up potentially vital parts of the landing gear, was terrific. I even dug the scenes in the improvised emergency medical conferences in DC.

And even though an evil corporate marketing rep, with an enormous bag and shock-mop of red hair, is a tad... hmmm... obvious, I still rather liked her. Mainly because she looked and sounded exactly right to me (not that I would know from firsthand experience, though).

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I enjoyed the episode. My only issue (and I try to not think to hard about it when wathcing TV shows) is the amazing recovery Jack had from his arsenic poisoning. If he had injested enough to cause the severe symptoms he showed, the chelation they improvised would have stopped further cellular damage from the arsenic (not as fast as on the show), but it would not have reversed the damage already done. They made a point so far to show that he is getting injured ("I cut my arm") and not healing nearly instantaneously as he did when he was immortal, so his amazing recovery from the poison just seems out of place.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'm a little surprised there's not more discussion of "Miracle Day" here. I wonder if being exclusively on Starz in the U.S. is limiting access. I've been finding it online since I don't get Starz, but I wish that it were more widely available.

In any event, I need to debrief after last night's episode. It was in many ways an excellent forum for discussing this whole question of what does it mean to make this distinction between those who are "dead" and those who are "alive," and what do you do with all of those people who "ought" to be dead, but are still hanging around.

Of course, the ending left me traumatized, killing off one of my favorite characters so far this season. But then again, the whole point is what does it mean to say that individual is "killed" in this context. If you're reduced to a pile of ashes, is there any sense in which you can still be said to be alive since every nerve ending and organ system is reduced to a pile of dust?

This is in some sense a further development of a Season II idea when one of the characters found himself "dead" but still alive, and still suffering from all the problems of being a sentient being in a failing body.

The pace is very slow, unfortunately. I think they are stretching the story too long. IT would have been better as a 5-Parter.

The last episode had a good, shocking ending, assuming there are no last-second-rescues. Which I wouldn't hope on in Torchwood, in case you don't like yor favorite characters to move on to Category 1. (And a few living cells in a heap of ashes is Category 1. :p)

Remove ads