D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Duelist Build

Sigwulf

First Post
Duelist Build Hi

I've got a friend who wanna play a duelist in our next campaign; he's not a mathcharacter builder but the duelist seems a bit weak, so if someone know a good build please post it.

We are using almost every source available except: Dragonlance Campaign Setting and features of psionic.

I know he wanna play like one of the three musketers kinda character, and if able maybe use an off hand kick or trip whilst using a rapier.

In advance - thank you.

Kind regards Chris

Rhun

First Post
Yep, you found the right forum! :)

I don't have any real suggestions for you on your build, but you'll have some soon I'm sure.

gorfnab

First Post
Here is one I came up with a while ago. If the Broadblade Shortsword doesn't work out just move the later feats earlier in the build and pick up Karmic Strike.
Human or Strongheart Halfling Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Thief Acrobat 5/ Duelist 10 (BAB 17 at 20th level)
Feats:
1. Carmendine Monk, Combat Expertise, Dodge (Cobra Strike Monk)
2. Mobility (Cobra Strike Monk)
3. EWP Broadblade Shortword (pre-errata version), Weapon Finesse (Swashbuckler)
6. Deadly Defense
9. Einhander
12. Combat Reflexes
15. Robilars Gambit
18. Karmic Strike (or maybe Spring Attack)
19. Deflect Arrows (Duelist)
Trait: Cautious

Assume Int 30 and Dex 30 (easy enough with decent starting scores of 16 in one stat and 18 in the other stat, tomes, leveling, and magic items)

At 20

Fighting Defensive Total = +2 (Broadblade Shortsword pre-errata version
wink2.gif
) + 4 (15 ranks in Tumble see Oriental Adventures and other sources) + 1 (Cautious Trait) + 2 (Einhander) + 3 (Thief Acrobat) +10 (Duelist) = 22

Total AC when Fighting Defensively without any other bonuses to armor from magic
10 Base + 10 Int (Carmendine) + 10 Dex + 10 Int (Duelist) + 22 (see above) = 66

Total AC when Fighting Defensively with other magic items
10 Base + 10 Int (Carmendine) + 10 Dex + 10 Int (Duelist) + 22 (see above) + 5 (Bracers of AC) + 5 (Ring of Protection) + 5
(Amulet of Natural Armor) + 5 (Defending Weapon Enhancement) + 2 (Vest of Defense) + 1 (Ioun Stone) + 5 (Combat Expertise) = AC 90, Touch AC of 80?

Dandu

First Post
The main problem with AC optimization, as may have been noticed in the other thread, is that being unhittable isn't much good if the enemy just ignores you and starts murdering your party.

Also, Magic Missile.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Have you seen the Blade Bravo from Races of Stone? It's my favorite "duelist" type prestige class, though gnome only (That's ok, though. Same book has Whisper Gnomes, which trade the casting benefits for stealth boons). Gets a decent capstone Lethal Riposte ability, and mobility options.

Of course, Swashbuckler/Rogue with the Daring Outlaw feat (Complete Scoundrel) works well, too. Lacking that feat, could enter Blade Bravo with Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 3. Or Rogue 4 / Fighter 2, whatever.

If you want to incorporate an "offhand kick or trip," look at the Defensive Throw feat in Complete Warrior or the Elusive Target tactical feat (also C.Warrior). Either can fit a duelist well. Obviously, you'd want to get Improved Trip, then.

Dandu

First Post
I like your build Dandu. The only problem is, that using a Kama really isn't very the 3 musketeers like. I think my mate wants to use the rapier - could your build somehow incorporate the rapier, or do you have another build in mind? :)

Thanks for all the response so far!
There's no reason you have to use a kama. I mean, it's not like you'll ever be hitting anything, after all! The weapon is just there to provide more AC to your character.

Remove ads