[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

Mewness

First Post
OOC: I'm still going to have to remember them if triggers occur on the first turn, though.

I made a list of all of the party's triggered actions, just for my own reference:

Black Fox
Virtue of Cunning (no action; ally is missed by an attack)

Castile
Combat Challenge (interrupt; adjacent marked target shifts or makes an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Shield Edge Block (interrupt; adjacent enemy hits or misses Castile with a close or melee attack)

Kane
Aegis of Shielding (interrupt; marked enemy hits a target within 10 and the attack doesn’t include Kane)
Channeling Shield (interrupt; an attack hits Kane or an ally within 10)
Dimensional Vortex (interrupt; a teacher within 10 hits an ally with a melee attack)

Noriaki
Shrug it Off (reaction; Noriaki is subjected to a save ends effect)

Takahaan
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Takahaan)
Vengeance is Mine (reaction; an enemy hits Takahaan)

Did I miss anything?

EDIT: Happy 1000 posts, everyone! *Throws confetti*

jbear

First Post
OOC: Noriaki, Kane, and Castile get to make free action charge attacks on Pscreamosaur 1, who is now ground level and at N7. I set this up so we can cross-flank him, as long as Castile charges to M7, Kane to N6, and Noriaki to N8. Whoever posts second between Kane and Noriaki will get the CA, however!
OOC:

Kane, spurred on by Takahaan called, Kane charges at the flying lizard as well. A second later Kane's eyes roll into the back of his head and a primal screech issues forth from his neck imitating the nesting birds he heard when he first came onto the island. He charges the sonic call with waves of soothing psychic energy hopng to reach the chicks, keep them calm,and draw them nearer to him.

Suddenly Kane's vest shimmers and reflects a dazzling ray of light into the creature's eyes, blinding it long enough for Kane to unleash a spell right in the creatures face, sending an blade of psychic energy towards the pneckosaur near the nest. With a screech it resists his call, which only stiffens Kane's resolve. Alas the will of the beast is strong :( And the skulls of the chicks are thick ...

[sblock=Actions]
Free: Take Takahaans free charge: Hit! The weakes MBA of the 3 and it manages to hit for max dmg! Sweet!
Move: Swapped to make a sonic screech (with Arcana) to keep the chicks where they are. I think this should provoke an OAtk :p
Standard: Cast Phantasmal Assault at pneckosaur1; no OAtk: I love you Shimmering Armour! :D
Crap!
AP: Repeat ... double crap :( Boo!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
Though the creature's screech still rings in her ears, Hú Lí nonetheless counters with her own music, a lilting tune which distracts a soaring creature, directing its flight directly into the eager blade of Noriaki.

Hú Lí shakes her head, but still can not clear the ringing.[sblock=actions]Standard (and only): Blunder (Will) vs. Pscreamosaur 2: 14(1d20) +8 = 22; 3(1d6) +5 = 8
8 damage and Pscreamosaur 2 is slid to O9 (altitude +1), and Noriaki gets a crack at it.
Noriaki MBA vs. Pscreamosaur 2: 4(1d20) +10 +5 = 19; 11(1d12) +6 = 17
Save vs. Dazed: 9(1d20) = 9
[/sblock][sblock=Hú Lí]The Black Fox Fox Spirit (Changeling) Bard 4
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 20
AC:19, Fort:13, Reflex:17, Will:18
:bmelee: +4 vs. AC, 1d6-1 damage

HP:27/39, Bloodied:19, Surge Value:9, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Fox Spirit Disguise, Wild Shape, Staggering Note, Vicious Mockery
Blunder, Fox Spirit Trick, Grasping Claws, Majestic Word x2, Words of Friendship, Noble Presence, Painted Drum
Stirring Shout, Canon of Avoidance

Virtue of Cunning: Once per round, when an enemy misses an ally within 9 squares of the Black Fox, the Fox may slide the ally 1 square as a free action.

Conditions:
Dazed
[/sblock][sblock=ooc]FYI, at the next treasure distribution, I'd like to "buy" an Amulet of Seduction (1000 gp)[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
OOC: Amulet purchase noted. By the way, those of you with wishlists should update them. They should have items in the level 4-8 range.

Just [MENTION=6676736]Pentius[/MENTION] to go.

jbear

First Post
OOC: Nah, I couldn't have wished for better on both counts for my magic items. So my wish is to keep leaving that in your capable hands! :)

Pentius

First Post
Eager to show off in front of Sasha, Noriaki cuts into each of the pterosaurs in turn.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Standard: Howling Strike on Pscreamer 1
Attack Roll: 1d20+10=27
Damage roll: 1d12+1d6+6=22
[/sblock]

[sblock=Noriaki]Noriaki Matsumoto
Male Human Thaneborn Barbarian 1
Initiative: +5(+7 with Takahaan)
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Insight: 13
Senses: Normal

AC:20
Fort:20
Reflex:18
Will:16
HP:45/45
Bloodied:22
Surges left:9/9
Surge Value:11
Action Points: 1

MBA: +10 to hit, 1d12+6 damage
Howling Strike
Pressing Strike

Escalating Violence []
Howl of Triumph []
Shrug it off []
Heroic Effort []
Second Wind []

Swift Panther Rage []

Conditions:

Feral Might(Thaneborn Triumph): Whenever you bloody an enemy, the next attack by you or an ally against that enemy gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier(+2).[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
GM: I'm about halfway through doing the monsters' turn. Pneckosaur 1 missed Castile. Pneckosaur 2 has hit Noriaki for 17+prone.

[MENTION=75065]jbear[/MENTION] I assumed you'd want to vortex this one so I rolled it and it hit. Which enemy would you like Pneckosaur 2 to attack, and which square do you want it in? (Keep in mind that its basic attack is reach 2.) I'm putting up a little map for you.

Attachments

• WranglinMapTemp.jpg
    WranglinMapTemp.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 64

jbear

First Post
[sblock=ooc] [MENTION=14889]Mewness[/MENTION] Okay cool. Let's try M5 and attacks Pneckosaur 1. A bit close to Sasha, but she can move to flank from there and I can mark it on my turn so it goes after me. [/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
GM: I’ve fixed the elevation numbers on the map so that they’re all consistent with each other. The numbers are all in squares, not feet, and all relative to elevation 0 (so Pscreamer 2 is 6 squares above 0, which means that it’s 8 squares above the surface directly beneath it).

Castile is the only one who was missed, so she gets a slide 1 from Hú Lí before her turn starts if she wants.

Sasha makes some encouraging noises, trying to coax the chicks closer, but they do not respond and scatter in all directions. One almost falls off the edge of the cliff, but manages to catch itself at the last minute.

Pterosaur Wranglin’, Round 2

One of the long-necked creatures lifts off and flies in a quarter circle to dive down at Castile from behind, but she brings her shield up over her head and deflects the blow. The other flies around in the other direction to do the same to Noriaki. As it dives, Kane conjures a shimmering vortex which it falls into beak first, reappearing several yards away and spearing its counterpart.

The screamer that has been surrounded lifts off the ground, but a swift cut from Castile’s axe makes it think twice about trying to fly away. It slashes at her with its claws, knocking her back slightly. It emits a triumphant squawk that is almost as unpleasant as its earlier shrieking. The other screeches piercingly at Noriaki and Castile, completely disorienting the former.

[sblock=actions and rolls]Sasha tries to coax the chicks out of the nest. Sasha Nature check DC 20
6(1d20) +8 = 14
fails.

Sasha save (dazed)
19(1d20) = 19
succeeds. Sasha is no longer dazed.

Chicks move randomly. Number 4 runs toward the edge.
Chick saving throw
16(1d20) = 16
succeeds, so Number 4 is prone.

Pneck 1 recharge diving charge
4(1d6) = 4
succeeds. Pneck flies around and dive bombs Castile, flanking with its buddy. Pneck 1 diving charge vs AC (+2 flank), Castile; damage
9(1d20) +11 +2 = 22; 6(2d10) +10 = 16
misses because of Castile second wind bonus.

Pneck 2 recharge diving charge
6(1d6) = 6
succeeds. Pneck 2 diving charge vs AC (+2 flank), Noriaki; damage
19(1d20) +11 +2 = 32; 7(2d10) +10 = 17
hits for 17.

Kane interrupts: Kane dimensional vortex vs Will, Pneck 2
19(1d20) +6 = 25
hits. Pneck 2 is teleported to M5, preventing its attack on Noriaki, and it attacks Pneck 1. Pneck 2 basic vs AC, Pneck 1; damage
12(1d20) +11 = 23; 15(2d10) +5 = 20
ouch, hits for 20.

Pscreamosaur 1 shifts off the ground, triggering Castile combat challenge vs AC (+2 flank), Pscream 1; damage
19(1d20) +9 +2 = 30; 9(1d12) +7 = 16
hits for 16 and Castile gains 4 temps. It attacks: Swooping slash vs AC, Castile; damage
16(1d20) +11 = 27; 6(1d8) +6 = 12
. Hits for 12, which triggers hideous squawk, close burst 2. Castile, Noriaki, Takahaan, and Kane get -2 to attack rolls until EONT. Castile is slid 2 (make that 1, because she’s a dwarf) to L8.

Pscreamosaur 2: Curdling screech vs Will, Castile; Noriaki; damage
4(1d20) +8 = 12; 20(1d20) +8 = 28; 1(1d8) +6 = 7
Castile is missed for 2, Noriaki is crit for 14 and dazed (save ends). It moves to J14, climbing all the way.
[/sblock]

[sblock=SAVE THE CHICKS!]As a move action, you can make a DC 20 Nature check in an attempt to calm/coax the chicks. If you succeed, each chick immediately takes a move action as you direct, and does not take one on its usual turn. Chicks have a move of 4 (and see the section on terrain).

As a move action, you can make a DC 22 check with some other skill to attempt to influence the behavior of the chicks. I’ll allow anything that seems reasonable (Arcana to produce compelling lights or noises, interpersonal skills, etc.). If you succeed, pick one of the following effects:
-- one chick immediately takes a move action as you direct (and none on its usual turn) or
-- all the chicks give up their move actions for the round and do nothing.

Regardless of how many attempts you make to influence the chicks, no chick may take more than one move action each round.

As a standard action, you can make a DC 14 Acrobatics or Athletics check to grab an adjacent chick and hold onto it to keep it safe. You must fulfill the usual conditions for maintaining a grab (hand free, not dazed, etc.). While grabbed, a chick is considered to be in your square, but cannot be targeted by attacks. Each round that you hold the chick, you must repeat the Acrobatics or Athletics check on your turn as a free action. If you fail, the chick escapes into an adjacent square and moves on its turn as usual.

If you successfully influence a chick that you are holding using one of the methods above, it will stop trying to escape for as long as you hold it. You do not need to make any further Acrobatics or Athletics checks.

The chicks count as your allies, and can be targeted by things that affect allies. They do not have any attacks, cannot flank, and they do not provoke OAs when they move. If you use an effect on a chick that allows it to spend a healing surge and recover hit points, it is fully healed by that effect.[/sblock]

[sblock=Special Note about Falling] Because falling off the rightmost edge would probably be fatal (and at the very least would take a character completely out of the fight), it is impossible for a PC or Sasha to fall off into the blue area during this fight. If you would fall off under the normal rules (i.e. you are forced over the edge and fail your save), then you stay prone on the edge and in addition become dazed until the end of your next turn.[/sblock]

[sblock=Terrain and Elevation]All terrain is normal except for the nest, which is difficult terrain. The different shades of grey represent rock ledges at different elevations. The red numbers are elevations relative to the rough, light brown terrain at the top. (You can also tell where the drops are by the shadows: a thin shadow represents a 5-foot difference and a thick shadow represents a 10-foot difference.)

Moving to an adjacent square that is 5 feet higher or lower costs an extra square of movement. Moving to an adjacent square that is 10 feet higher or lower requires climbing (DC 15). Chicks can handle 5-foot changes without spending extra squares of movement, but they can’t handle 10-foot changes at all.[/sblock]

[sblock=Controlling Sasha]Companion NPCs in Combat

Any PC can take a standard, move, or minor action to have an NPC perform an action of the same (or a lesser) type. E.g., if you want Sasha to use Twin Strike, you spend a standard action. If you want her to move, you spend a move action. An NPC is limited to the usual number of actions each round (but those actions need not all be granted by the same PC). An NPC who has an immediate action can likewise only use it if a PC has an immediate action available to use on his/her behalf.

NPCs can take free actions and opportunity actions normally, without the direction of PCs. They are always considered to have their weapons in hand and don’t need to spend actions unsheathing them.

If all of the PCs act in a given round without giving any actions to a particular NPC, I will have that NPC take one non-offensive action. This will most likely be Second Wind if it is needed and available, and movement or Total Defense if it is not. (It won’t be necessary for PCs to spend their own standard actions to have NPCs use second wind.)[/sblock]

[sblock=Sasha]Sasha
HP 22/34, Bloodied 17, Surge value 8; Surges 7/7
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12
AC 18, Fort 16, Reflex 18, Will 14
Skills: Nature +8, Perception +8, Stealth +10
Striker: 1/round, Sasha can deal 1d6 extra damage when she hits an enemy she has CA against.
:branged: longbow +9 vs. AC, 1d10+5 damage (range 20/40)
Twin Strike (standard; martial, weapon; ranged weapon, one or two creatures)
Attack: +9 vs. AC, two attacks
Hit: 1d10+1 damage per attack
[o] Evasive Strike (standard; martial, weapon; ranged weapon, one creature)
Special: Sasha can shift 3 squares either before or after the attack
Attack: +9 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10+5 damage
[o] Crucial Advice (immediate reaction; ranged 5)
Trigger: An ally within range that Sasha can see or hear makes a Nature, Perception, or Stealth check
Effect: The ally can reroll the skill check with a +2 power bonus.
[o] Heroic Effort (no action; personal)
Trigger: Sasha misses with an attack or fails a save
Effect: Sasha gains a +4 racial bonus to the attack roll or saving throw.
[o] Second Wind

Conditions: none[/sblock]

[sblock=status]Good Guys
Castile (M7) HP 28/52; surges 12/13; -2 attack rolls
Hú Lí (N3) HP 27/39; surges 8/8; dazed (save ends)
Kane (L1) HP 38/38; surges 10/10; -2 attack rolls
Noriaki (N8) HP 31/45; surges 9/9; -2 attack rolls, dazed (save ends)
Takahaan (O7) HP 33/39; surges 8/8; -2 attack rolls
Sasha (M4) HP 22/34; surges 7/7

Chick 1 (J9)
Chick 2 (F14)
Chick 3 (O13)
Chick 4 (H17) prone

Bad Guys
Pneckosaur 1 (K7) 20 damage taken, diving charge used, marked by Castile
Pneckosaur 2 (M5) 9 damage taken, diving charge used
Pscreamosaur 1 (N7 +1) 48 damage taken, curdling screech used, bloodied, marked by Castile
Pscreamosaur 2 (J14 +6) 25 damage taken, curdling screech used
[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy Stats]Please read the appropriate block(s) only when necessary to resolve attacks or OAs.

[sblock=Pscreamosaur (with the open beak)]Pscreamosaur
AC 19, Fort 17, Ref 18, Will 17; HP 62, bloodied 31
:bmelee: Bite +10 vs. AC, 1d8+6 damage or 2d6+6 damage with CA.[/sblock]
[sblock=Pneckosaur (with the long neck)]Pneckosaur
AC 18, Fort 17, Ref 19, Will 18; HP 80, bloodied 40
:bmelee: Bite (reach 2) +11 vs. AC, 2d10+5 damage.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Possible triggers that the DM doesn’t want to forget]Black Fox
Virtue of Cunning (no action; ally is missed)

Castile
Combat Challenge (interrupt; adjacent marked target shifts or makes an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Shield Edge Block (interrupt; adjacent enemy hits or misses Castile with a close or melee attack)

Kane
Aegis of Shielding (interrupt; marked enemy hits a target within 10 and the attack doesn’t include Kane)
Channeling Shield (interrupt; an attack hits Kane or an ally within 10)
x Dimensional Vortex (interrupt; an enemy within 10 hits an ally with a melee attack)

Noriaki
Shrug it Off (reaction; Noriaki is subjected to a save ends effect)

Takahaan
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Takahaan)
Vengeance is Mine (reaction; an enemy hits Takahaan)[/sblock]

Attachments

• WranglinMap2.jpg
    WranglinMap2.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 65

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki's head spins with the sound of screams, but he grits his teeth and grabs his sword hilt for another attack. His sword sings as it clears the sheath and carves into the giant reptile.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Shrug it off: 1d20=2

Standard: Howling Strike on screamy 1
Attack Roll: 1d20+10=26
Damage Roll: 1d12+1d6+6=17

End of turn save: 1d20=5

T_T
[/sblock]

[sblock=Noriaki]Noriaki Matsumoto
Male Human Thaneborn Barbarian 1
Initiative: +5(+7 with Takahaan)
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Insight: 13
Senses: Normal

AC:20
Fort:20
Reflex:18
Will:16
HP:45/45
Bloodied:22
Surges left:9/9
Surge Value:11
Action Points: 1

MBA: +10 to hit, 1d12+6 damage
Howling Strike
Pressing Strike

Escalating Violence []
Howl of Triumph []
Shrug it off []
Heroic Effort []
Second Wind []

Swift Panther Rage []

Conditions:

Feral Might(Thaneborn Triumph): Whenever you bloody an enemy, the next attack by you or an ally against that enemy gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier(+2).[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases