[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

Mewness

First Post
A very careful examination proves that the trap is a sort of sprung snare. A tripline causes a noose to snare the target's leg and whips him up against a tree, onto a set of sharpened spikes. A nasty peace of work: whoever uses the trail regularly does not appear to be at all fond of visitors.

Avoiding this trap, the group follows the trail northwest and then west around another steep ridge, eventually coming to an intersection. One path branches off to the northeast and the other goes west and a little south. Right in the middle of the intersection, Castile spots another trap similar to the first.

The northeast branch of the trail appears to lead to some sort of campsite. It looks very run-down, perhaps deserted.

GM: The Perception DC to spot the trap is 20, as with the first. I'm giving Castile a +2 for spotting the first one, so she sees it automatically.

Game time is 12:30 pm. Map on the first page should be updated in a few minutes.

jbear

First Post
Kane bites at his lip as Castile points out the second trap. As indecision and tension seems to momentarily grow throughout the group, Kane points to the seemingly deserted campsite before sending his coin spinning into the air.

"M-maybe more c-clues there? Or m-more t-traps? G-good place to start I s-say. C-castile, maybe you should g-go f-first?"

Kane will follow after tense and ready scanning the ground for traps he is well aware he is very unlikely to ever see.

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki turns up his lip at the discovery of a second trap. "More traps? Clearly this place was inhabited by someone of unsound mind."

Dekana

Explorer
"M-maybe more c-clues there? Or m-more t-traps? G-good place to start I s-say. C-castile, maybe you should g-go f-first?"

"Leave it to me!" Castile announces confidently. She starts off toward the camp and begins looking for any more traps and, hopefully, any abandoned supplies.

Mewness

First Post
The camp is not far from the island's coast, and consist of about half a dozen small shelters, crudely constructed out of driftwood. Most of these shelters have collapsed, but some still appear functional.

As the adventurers approach, something comes into view which was at first obscured by one of the standing shelters: a humanoid figure, standing motionless in the middle of the camp. The adventurers' approach has not been especially quiet, but the figure nevertheless has not noticed them. It gazes steadily out to sea.

GROMkill

First Post
The dragonborn breaks into a slight jog and calls out to the figure, waving his hands in the air. The sight of another being on this island, save for the shipwrecked (and Kane) surprises him and gives his mind a tingle. "Hey! You there!" he shouts in Allarian, his voice booming. He tries Tsugo for good measure, as well: "Greetings!" he calls out in his native language.

Takahaan passes up the other members in the line they walk in, as he approaches the figure incautiously.

jbear

First Post
Kane begins jogging behind his reckless companion calling forth his arcane shield, sword in hand:

"C-c-care-c-c-ca..."

Mewness

First Post
As Takahaan gets closer to the standing figure, he realizes with a start that it is a plant-zombie, like the ones he and the others fought near the viper nettle patch on the previous day. From its body shape, it looks to have been a woman in life. It takes no notice of him, but continues to stand silently, staring out at the sea. There is something miserable and lost in its attitude, although its face is blank of expression.

The camp otherwise looks utterly abandoned and disused. The creature may very well have been standing in the same spot for several days; there are no signs that anyone has been moving about here recently.

[sblock=Perception 16 (active only)]Both of the standing shelters contain signs of violence: there are a couple of marks on the walls, as if someone swung an axe or similar weapon and nicked them. There are also patches of dried blood splattered on the walls and floor.

Concealed under a bit of debris in one of the shelters is small wooden drum with colorful decorations around its side, like a child's toy. When beaten, it produces a surprisingly loud sound.

[sblock=Treasure!]Vistani tambourine (L2 item--Hú Lí)[/sblock][/sblock]

GROMkill

First Post
The strange figure's details flesh out as Takahaan gets closer. At once, he realizes that the figure is like the jungle-monsters they encountered earlier. He holds his right hand slightly behind him, grasping for his nodachi should the situation arise that he need it. Edging forward toward, he notes the figure's woman-like features and docile manner, which relieves him a bit. Thoughts of Ieana being a threat keep him ready for action, however.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception Roll:1d20=1. Crap.[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
"It's w-w-one of them c-creatures ..." says Kane surprised as he walks up next to Takahaan. "I w-wonder w-where is its master?" Kane peers into the foliage around the campsite and then again at the plant woman... unable to see anyone or anything else Kane closes his eyes and tries to establish a connection between the spirit of the plant creature that imbued his sword and the zombie.

OOC: If allowed I'd like Kane to use Arcana to make some kind of psychic connection to the zombie through the psychic residue of the plant that powered up his sword. I know mechanically I have no leg to stand on so I'll just roll and let you decide what happens if anything at all, Mewness :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases