[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

jbear

First Post
Kane is amongst the first to rise having slept the entire night undisturbed. He begins the morning with some stretching and chin ups in a nearby tree. Once warm he begins following members of the group around at a distance, sword in hand. At the first sign they sense his presence and turn to face him he throws up an arcane shield which causes his blade to hum for a few moments afterwards. When he senses his activity is becoming annoying (after Aerys bark at him in very colourful language about the low origins of his family) he settles down into a quiet sitting position waiting for the group to set off.

OOC: I'm neutral on which NPC to take. The gnome seems like a good option if he is interested for a change.

Mewness

First Post
Once he gets Gelik alone, Noriaki speaks in a low tone, without the normal playful insults he usually uses with the gnome. "Hey, I know you know something of magic, so I wanted to see what you make of this. As you know, I was the one that read the logbook, with all the stuff about Ieana being some kind of thing. Well, since then, I've been having nightmares. They always involve the Jenivere, and me arguing with my old-with this old man I knew. And I always know, in the dream, the ship is doomed, somehow. Is this, is this anything to do with whatever that woman is?"

Gelik raises his eyebrows sardonically. “This ‘old man’ you knew?” he asks sharply. “Father? Moneylender? Schoolmaster? Butler?” Softening a little as he realizes that Noriaki is uncomfortable discussing this person, Gelik gropes for some sort of useful response. “Actually, I’ve been having some bad dreams myself,” he says. “Which is nothing terribly remarkable, truth be told. It’s distressingly common for people who study the Art to have bad dreams. Mysteries better left uninvestigated and all that. And after the poison we ate, I’m not sure it isn’t just some sort of lingering effect.” He falls silent, trying to give the matter some serious thought.

“I don’t think it’s the book,” he says at last. “I looked at it myself and there’s not a whiff of magic on it. It may contain the rantings of a sick mind, but that’s all they are; and if they got under your skin, there’s nothing magical in that. It’s possible that this woman, Ieana, could be affecting our dreams somehow.... Although I don’t see why she would. She poisoned us, or had Kovack poison us, and as far as she’s concerned we’re as good as dead, aren’t we? And even if she had some reason, I don’t think ... no ... no.” Suddenly an idea occurs to Gelik and he begins speaking with greater animation.

“This old man you mentioned--it’s funny, but last night I dreamt that the first wizard I was ever apprenticed to was on the Jenivere with us. And I honestly never think about him, asleep or awake. It was years and years ago. We had many disagreements. I decided I no longer wanted to be his apprentice, he decided he would be well rid of me, and to the best of my knowledge, neither of us ever had a moment's regret. And yet, here he is, showing up in a dream.

“But here’s what I think: these dreams aren’t Ieana’s style. Look at Kovack’s book--the man is completely self-absorbed, utterly divorced from reality by the end. He’s obsessed with this woman but can't even describe her. He can’t attend to his business, to his crew, to anything but himself and his own lust. That’s what she does. She makes people turn completely inward. I don't think that's happening to us. I could be wrong--but if I had to hazard a guess, I’d say it’s not her. But as to what is causing it...” he trails off.

Last edited:

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki nods along as Gelik speaks. "I don't know much about the Arcane arts, I was supposed to learn, but I was never even able to grasp a shred of arcane power. So it's probably not that. Maybe we should see if anyone else has been having these dreams? It's an oddly specific formula."

Mewness

First Post
Gelik laughs. “Dreams about strange old men shipwrecked with us? That would be oddly specific.”

The group sets off again after breakfast, heading down the hill, across the river, and along the ridge to where Ieana and Kovack entered the jungle. Ishirou stays behind to guard the camp, but Gelik and Sasha both accompany the adventurers, Sasha turning back after seeing the location of the viper nettle patch, which she was curious about.

The X carved by Kane on the previous day is plain to see, and the adventurers enter the jungle, following Kovack’s trail. The going is not too hard, Kovack having already cut a path through the vegetation, but Gelik fairly constantly finds things to complain about.

After about half a mile of jungle, the adventurers emerge to find an actual path--one that shows some signs of being maintained. It heads to the northwest and to the southeast, and one direction looks as good as another: any remaining traces of Ieana and Kovack have been obliterated by time, weather, and perhaps even other users of the trail, whoever they might be. The Pict, after a thorough examination, concludes that the couple did not simply cross over and enter the jungle on the other side. They therefore must have followed the trail, but in which direction?

[sblock=Perception 20 (active or passive; no aiding another here)]You notice a patch of bark and twigs on the trail, not far northwest of where you came out of the jungle, that seems a little too artfully arranged. Possibly it conceals some sort of trap, such as a deadfall.[/sblock]
[sblock=Gelik's stats]Gelik
HP 22/22, Bloodied 11, Surge value 5; Surges 6/6
AC 14, Fort 12, Reflex 14, Will 16
Speed 5, gnome traits
Skills: Bluff +7, Arcana +11
Hypnotism (standard; arcane, charm, enchantment, implement; ranged 10, one enemy)
Attack: +5 vs. Will
Hit: Choose one: the target uses a free action to make a melee basic attack against a creature of Gelik’s choice, with a +4 power bonus to the attack roll; or, Gelik slides the target up to 3 squares.
[o] Charm of Misplaced Wrath (standard; arcane, charm, enchantment, implement; ranged 10, one enemy)
Attack: +5 vs. Will
Hit: Gelik slides the target up to 3 squares. The target is then dazed until the end of Gelik’s next turn. (1/encounter, as a free action, Gelik can extend the daze for another round.)
Effect: The target makes a basic attack against a creature of Gelik’s choice as a free action with a +2 power bonus to the damage roll.
[o] Fade Away (immediate reaction; personal)
Trigger: Gelik takes damage.
Effect: Gelik is invisible until he attacks or until the end of his next turn.
[o] Second Wind

Conditions: none[/sblock]

GM: I’m assuming you start walking 7-ish, and also that you informed the people back at camp that you may not be back tonight.

If you want to backtrack a little play out conversations about dreams etc. along the journey, that’s fine.

Game time is around 11:45 am. You’ve had a pretty solid walk already.

GROMkill

First Post
Noriaki nods along as Gelik speaks. "I don't know much about the Arcane arts, I was supposed to learn, but I was never even able to grasp a shred of arcane power. So it's probably not that. Maybe we should see if anyone else has been having these dreams? It's an oddly specific formula."

Takahaan rises from his slumber as Gelik and Noriaki conclude their conversation. Stretching his burly arms and pulling his chain armor back over his padded undergarments, he stays quiet a moment before he speaks. "I slept like a rock. If I did have any strange dreams, they're dead and gone... The last thing I remember was lying down to sleep last night." The dragonborn shrugs. He passes by the two men and greets the other members of the shipwreck crew.

As the adventurers easily make their way through familiar territory, Takahaan feels very well rested and vigorous after the night's rest. The long trek back to the turn-around spot seems to not even have dented Takahaan's energy. Sweat drips down his taut, scaly skin, and his legs show thick veins, with blood being constantly pumped to and fro throughout his well-conditioned body. He is quiet most of the journey, responding to most with simple grunts or nods. It is obvious that while his body is focused on the moderate trek through the jungle, his mind is distant, filled with thoughts about everything he has encountered on the Shiv.

He is troubled, however, by the situation at hand. Where were the Captain and Ieana? Why was the group poisoned? How does one leave the Shiv? His mind is teeming with questions beyond him, and he decides to speak, breaking the short silence. "If we do find this Ieana, and the captain... What shall we do? I can't decide between feeling like we are rescuing a lost friend or pursuing our attempted murderer. After all, we were poisoned by her, right?"

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Castile suggests to Takahaan, "I suppose if we were feeling vicious, we could leave her in the jungle by herself. That would be good as death here..."

[sblock=Perception 22]Perception 22. (1d20+8=22)[/sblock]

At the head of the group, Castile raises a hand. "Whoa, whoa, everyone be still for a moment." She points to a patch of twigs on the northwest trail, not far from the party. "Captain, what do you make of that? It looks like manmade - like a pit trap."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases