D&D 4th Edition [Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB) - Page 49




+ Log in or register to post
Page 49 of 145 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 99 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1450
  1. #481
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,898

    ø Ignore Mewness
    GM: Zombie automatically dies from fire damage at the start of its turn. I'll try to update by tonight.
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

 

  • #482
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    GROMkill's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    354

    ø Ignore GROMkill
    OOC: An anti-climactic finish to an epic battle :P Looking forward to the update
    L4W: Takahaan Thanazashi, Nave Redorb LEB: Belanaar Zalyth

  • #483
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,898

    ø Ignore Mewness
    The last of the plant-creatures--at least, the last one with any obvious capacity for independent movement--shrivels to a blackened husk in the magical fire. Looking around, it is difficult not to suspect that this tree or that vine will suddenly spring into animated fury: every little rustle now seems suspicious.

    As Kane is walking past the plant with the large, nasty-smelling flowers, it shudders, and one of its tendrils inches purposefully toward him. Kane instantly whips out his sword and drives it straight down the middle of the plant. The plant quivers briefly before becoming still, and Kane has a fleeting sensation of warmth, as though some grateful spirit has been released. A small amount of glowing liquid creeps up onto his sword while it is embedded in the plant. The liquid winds around and branches, spreading spidery veins over the surface of the blade. When Kane removes the weapon, the liquid seems to have dried and formed an indelible pattern.

    The sword that one of the zombies was carrying is a large, Kingdom of Jade-style weapon, finely made.

    After taking a well-earned rest--Dartmoor in particular seems to have only narrowly escaped death--the adventurers continue their search for viper nettles. Heading further north, into wetter ground that seems favored by these plants, they find an enormous patch of them, with many ripe berries. These are slowly but safely harvested by Kane, who uses his telekinetic hand to avoid touching the leaves directly.

    Not far from this spot, two streams come together to make the one that the adventurers have been following. One branch flows from the north; this is the same stream that flows past the party’s camp, and they can plainly see the hill at the top of which they built their shelters rising before them. The other branch flows from the southwest.

    Treasure!
    Sorry about taking control of Kane there, but he seems to like his existing sword so I wanted to upgrade it rather than replace it =)

    Kane’s longsword becomes a dislocation longsword +1 (L4 item)
    The zombie’s sword is a frost bastard sword (no-dachi) +1 (L3 item; for Takahaan)

    jbear--If you use the compendium, note that the entry for the dislocation weapon is a bit borked (the printed PHB3 version is the right one, I think). The target doesn’t grant CA unless you augment the power (which you can’t, of course). Hope you don’t mind the psionic item--I thought the unaugmented power was really nice. It just screamed “swordmage” to me.

    The viper nettle berries fulfill Aerys’s quest, of course. They also constitute an excuse to “buy” healing potions with virtual gold, if anyone wants to do that.

    time and ooc stuff
    Status at the end of the fight:
    Castile HP 20/39; surges 11/13, AP used
    Dartmoor HP -2/33; surges 8/10
    Hú Lí HP 11/29; surges 8/8, AP used
    Kane HP 10/28; surges 9/10, AP used
    Noriaki HP 21/33; surges 7/9, AP used
    Takahaan HP 6/29; surges 6/8
    Ishirou HP 17/24; surges 6/7

    I calculate the current time to be about 12:20 pm. Lunchtime!

    The first page has been updated with a new map, additions to the plot summary, etc.

    The intention is still to keep following Ieana and Kovack, correct?
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • #484
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    GROMkill's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    354

    ø Ignore GROMkill
    OOC: Could you refresh my memory or give me a link to read about how purchasing the health pots with virtual gold works? Having only two heals a battle, a potion or two would certainly be helpful.

    Also, I'd assume that the party consensus would be to continue following the lovers, as that is our main objective. I would be okay with that, what do you guys think? We could keep an eye out for the minor quest things, as well.

    Also, is Takahaan supposed to leave his old sword there, or bring it with him? As a new d&d player but a long-time player of RPG videogames, I have picked up pack-rat tendencies and feel the need to carry everything I find with me, be it sellable or usable at a later time.


    Takahaan pulls his arms back and stretches after the intense battle, wiping the blood and sweat off him afterwards. Looking to where one of the zombie-creatures had fallen, he notices the weapon again, and walks over to inspect it, carefully keeping an eye out for anymore plant-fiends.

    "Noriaki...Kane! Envious of my..." He picks up the Jadian sword off the ground, slashing it once in the air, feeling its weight. "Nodachi?!" He sports a devilish grin across his scaled face, and looks unusually elated.

    The sword seems to fit his grip much better than his old one, which was standard-issue Iron Legion gear. It seems to be made out of much stronger material, but is noticeably lighter and easier to handle. The hilt is wrapped in what seems to be leather fibers, and is worn, but not unpleasantly so. Carved into the blade just above the hilt are strange characters. Recognizing them as some sort of Tsugo characters, he brings the sword over to Noriaki.

    "Friend... look at these symbols on the blade. They are in Tsugo, but very unfamiliar to me. Perhaps you can understand them." He hands the sword to his ally, waiting for an answer.

    OOC: Edit: 100th post! Yay me
    Last edited by GROMkill; Sunday, 14th August, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
    L4W: Takahaan Thanazashi, Nave Redorb LEB: Belanaar Zalyth

  • #485
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,898

    ø Ignore Mewness
    GM: If you want to "buy" healing potions, just put in a post announcing that you're spending 50 time gold (I think most of you have 126) for each one and link to it in the tracking area of your character sheet. We'll assume that the Nature experts in the group know how to make healing concoctions out of the berries.

    As for replacing items, you don't automatically lose the old ones (Kane's old sword is a special case). You normally would be able to sell them at 20% of their value, but you can't actually sell things on the island, so if you like you can conveniently lose obsolete things and add 20% of their value to your virtual gold. Again, just make sure that all of the bookkeeping is in a post you can link to for tracking purposes.
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • #486
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    BenBrown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    That ol' Bay Area
    Posts
    1,395

    ø Ignore BenBrown
    "We should rest and refresh ourselves before moving on," Hú Lí says. "Since it is past noon, we should eat. I do not wish to dine on any of the plants from this area. Perhaps something we can hunt for small game. Rabbit would be nice." She seems oddly enthused by this thought.

    "But I will sing to pass the time while we prepare our meal," she says, and starts singing a traditional invocation before a feast.
    rest
    Song of rest: at the end of a short rest, Hú Lí and each ally may spend a healing surge and regain an additional 4 HP.

    Hú Lí spends two surges, which with this brings her to full HP.
    Hú Lí
    The Black Fox Fox Spirit (Changeling) Bard 2
    Initiative: +2, Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 19
    AC:18, Fort:12, Reflex:16, Will:17
    +3 vs. AC, 1d6-1 damage

    HP:29/29, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:6/8
    Action Points: 0, Second Wind: unused
    Powers: Fox Spirit Disguise, Wild Shape, Staggering Note, Vicious Mockery
    Blunder, Fox Spirit Trick, Grasping Claws, Majestic Word x2, Words of Friendship
    Stirring Shout, Canon of Avoidance

    Virtue of Cunning: Once per round, when an enemy misses an ally within 9 squares of the Black Fox, the Fox may slide the ally 1 square as a free action.

    Conditions:
    none
    L4E characters: Fenwick Orc Barbarian 9, Kaeysari Shifter Fighter 7, The Black Fox Bard 4

  • #487
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    GROMkill's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    354

    ø Ignore GROMkill
    OOC: I am going to sell my old nodachi (bastard sword) which is worth 30gp, and so 20% of that is 6 gp. I will also buy one Potion of Healing for 50gp. I need to update my tracking for the gp for Takahaan, and I will do that after this post. Edit: I did, but very clumsily. I hate wiki-editing -_-

    Also, Takahaan spends one healing surge from Hu Li's Song of Rest, gaining 12 HP, and bringing him up to 18 HP, and 5/8 surges.


    The soothing melody put forth by Hu Li's beautiful voice brings Takahaan a much-needed calm. He closes his eyes and follows the words in his mind, the intensity of his wounds lessening and causing him not as much pain.

    He smiles at Hu Li, a silent thank-you. Looking to his companions, his friend still looking over the blade, he agrees with the bard's idea. "Fresh meat that hunting could provide would be a nice change from this stale bread, wine, and meat we have been partaking of. Dartmoor! I'd imagine you and your men to be the kings of hunting in the wild." Takahaan nods very respectfully to the Captain, and continues. "What say we see what small game we can capture on this forsaken island?"
    Last edited by GROMkill; Monday, 15th August, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
    L4W: Takahaan Thanazashi, Nave Redorb LEB: Belanaar Zalyth

  • #488
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Dekana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,070

    ø Ignore Dekana
    healing
    I'll spend 2 surges to get to full health, including the song of rest bonus. 9/13 surges remain.

    Castile rubs her temple in an effort to dispel the migraine lingering from the caller's attacks. It doesn't help, but Hú Lí's tune seems to drown out the pain. A light smile comes to Castile's face as she realizes the battle is really over.

    "I'd say a victory feast is in order after that fight! Who'd have thought a bunch of plants could be so strong? What is it about this place anyway? Vicious lobsters, giant spiders, and now moving plants..."
    close the world, .txEn eht nepo

  • #489
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pentius's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oh, I'm around, most days.
    Posts
    1,179

    ø Ignore Pentius
    As the final zombie falls, Noriaki leans one hand against a tree, panting with the effort of the too-powerful spell he had summoned. Thrusting his blade in the air with the other hand, he releases the rest of the storm energy straight up into the air, where it shreds some leaves above. Shakily, he resheathes his katana and stops to catch his breath.

    By the time Takahaan approaches him with the new sword, Noriaki has recovered somewhat. He takes the blade and runs a finger lightly along the characters, then holds it up for a whispering. His eyes closed, he hears the blade's story, then looks up to Takahaan to tell what he has discovered.

    "This sword is far from home, friend, just like us. He was made centuries ago, by the swordsmith Oyuki Hideo, of the House of Snow, but he has not been back to our homeland since the oni overran the lands of the House of Snow. Though the power has faded with disuse, he still bears a link to the Great Ice Dragon. Here." Noriaki holds the sword out to Takahaan. "His name is Otaruhi Nodachi. It is up to you to figure out how to draw out his power."
    L4W: Noriaki Matsumoto, Barbarian Samurai

  • #490
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    jbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    3,883

    ø Ignore jbear
    OOC: No worries about taking over Kane. i love that the sword was upgraded as opposed to replaced! The power is a very cool one as well, one I'm sure I'll be able to put to good use. The augment was really just icing on the cake. Btw, the hill we are camping on, could that be the hill from the drawing? Would we know that?


    Healing
    Kane spends 2 surges which brings him to full again


    Kane looks at the pattern that seems to be melding some kind of spirit to the heart of his sword, something he feels integraly due to the deep bond he has with it. But he resists the temptation of fading from the now and being part of that process as he has more pressing concerns. He walks towards the slain zombie and cuts the foliage the wraps its head, discovering the face beneath. He turns to the group and asks, "Y-your f-friend?"

    He repeats the process with the other zombie that bore the large sword to be certain. (Assuming the negative) Kane then stands and glumly stutters "S-so w-we lost the tr-trail..."

    At which point he sits down to catch his breath and allow the bards music to soothe his splitting headache. He sinks into his sword and begins to shape the new fabric that has become part of it to fit better with his style of fighting.

    Later once the berries have been collected he suggests, coin spinning in the air:

    "If w-we have l-lost the trail, maybe w-we could take a l-look at that sh-shipwreck back up the c-coast we saw?"
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 49 of 145 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 99 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 189
      Last Post: Saturday, 27th July, 2013, 04:16 AM
    2. PoPP: Souls For Smuggler's Shiv [01]
      By Mowgli in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 793
      Last Post: Monday, 10th December, 2012, 05:03 PM
    3. The Necromancer's Skull (Judge - covaithe)
      By garyh in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 446
      Last Post: Sunday, 1st February, 2009, 03:39 PM
    4. Adventure Ideas for Skull & Bones
      By Calico_Jack73 in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: Friday, 2nd January, 2004, 01:26 AM
    5. [Serpent Amphora] Has anyone run the 3-part adventure series?
      By Wraith Form in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: Monday, 10th November, 2003, 06:23 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •