D&D 4th Edition [Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB) - Page 8





+ Log in or register to post
Page 8 of 145 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 1450
  1. #71
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    twilsemail's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King of Prussia, PA
    Posts
    1,283

    Ý Ignore twilsemail
    Captain Dartmoor appears to really be enjoying his nap.

    Jeremy, however, wakes up and rushes over to the captain. "Captain! Captain! Er... Foes abound! We need your help!" That does it and the captain rises from his slumber.

    "What? Oh-ho! Beasts! Men to arms! Men?"
    Last edited by twilsemail; Monday, 6th June, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds"
    Doc Holliday as portrayed by Val Kilmer in Tombstone

    LEB: Playing Mal
    L4W: Playing Felix
    L4W: Playing The Dartmoor Irregulars

 

  • #72
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,904

    Ý Ignore Mewness
    ooc
    Combat's essentially over but I need to get the next update written up. By tonight I hope.
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • #73
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,904

    Ý Ignore Mewness
    Final round
    Didn't take long after all.

    Lobster fiend attacks unknown dwarf, hits for 9.

    I’ll assume that at least one of you can hit it on your turn, so the fight’s over. Castile has taken 2 damage, Gelik has taken 9, and the unknown dwarf has taken 18.

    If you didn’t attempt the insight check I mentioned just before the fight started, you can still try.


    The last of the lobster-things, too stupid to run away and save itself when food is right in its grasp, continues to munch on the unconscious dwarf and is quickly dispatched. With the immediate threat over, the adventurers have time to look about them and realize that they are very thirsty. They are on a small stretch of beach at the south end of a natural inlet. The coast curves to the north in both directions, then stretches out to the east and west, quickly becoming high and rocky. Thick jungle grows to the south.

    Not far to the northwest, another body lies in the sand. Perhaps half a mile beyond, the group can make out the shape of the Jenivere, which looks to have been dashed and broken against the rocky coast.

    Aerys, Gelik, Ishirou, and Sasha slowly come to. They are parched, ashen-faced, and ill, and look about them with only slightly varying expressions of bewildered despair.

    The unfamiliar dwarf also comes around and sits up. By his features and coloring, he looks to be Magari, though he is dressed in Daunton-style clothes. His hands are manacled and his legs are chained together as well--he must have been on the ship as a prisoner. Though bloody from the attacks of the lobster-things, he seems both less ill and less upset than the others, and stares up at the adventurers with a fearful but not hopeless expression.

    The adventurers’ gear seems to be intact. Their food rations were securely packed and are mostly usable, and their waterskins are full. The other passengers, unfortunately, don’t have any such supplies.
    Last edited by Mewness; Monday, 6th June, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • #74
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pentius's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oh, I'm around, most days.
    Posts
    1,179

    Ý Ignore Pentius
    As the last of the lobsters falls, Noriaki cleans his blade and sheaths it. "Hmph. Not even a warm-up." The battle over, he goes over to the other passengers and helps wake them up gently, starting with Sasha and Aerys. Spotting his water gourd in the sand, he picks it up and takes a drink before offering it to the girls.
    L4W: Noriaki Matsumoto, Barbarian Samurai

  • #75
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    twilsemail's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King of Prussia, PA
    Posts
    1,283

    Ý Ignore twilsemail
    Several of the Irregulars begin tearing off bits of the lobster things for use later. It appears several are planning on making new shields. One is fashioning the end of an eyestalk into a helmet.

    "Does anyone have a clue where we are? Does this stretch look familiar to anyone?" the Captain is calling out to the group at large. Those particularly far from him may not be able to hear him at all. Most of the Irregualrs are shaking their heads.

    The Pict calls out, "Captain, we should cook this meat and eat it or store it. It's more likely to go bad than what we've already got. Save the rations for as long as we can."

    OOC: Are there any telling landmarks or familiar looking flora or fauna? I'll roll Nature and Perception and we can see if it's at all relevant.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds"
    Doc Holliday as portrayed by Val Kilmer in Tombstone

    LEB: Playing Mal
    L4W: Playing Felix
    L4W: Playing The Dartmoor Irregulars

  • #76
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,904

    Ý Ignore Mewness
    Aerys gulps water from Noriakiís gourd, then bends forward, retching, and the water comes up again. She drinks more, carefully this time, before flopping back down with her cheek in the sand. She shakes her head slightly at Dartmoorís question. ďSomething tells me that this is Smugglerís Shiv,Ē she says dully. ďAny place else I think I could.... Those rocks.... I donít see how it couldíve happened. I donít remember.... If Iím right, weíre done for.Ē Sasha takes the proffered gourd and drinks; as Aerys is speaking, she starts to cry.

    The Irregulars spread out. A few of them approach the body that is lying further up the beach. It is Nelli, and the poor fellow is dead. It looks as though more of the lobster-creatures have been nibbling on him.

    History 12 (active or passive)
    Smugglerís Shiv is a notorious island in the Shifting Seas. Its rocky coast is famed for wrecking ships, it is rumored to be haunted, and people who are on ships that are lost in its waters never return. However it seems impossible that the Jenivere could have been wrecked on Smugglerís Shiv by accident, even though the island, like all else in the Seas, moves: it is a very easy journey from Daunton to the Isle of Opposition, and the weather was fine--if Aerys is right, the ship must have gone massively off course to get here.

    History 21 (same roll)
    There have been attempts in the past to establish an outpost on Smugglerís Shiv, starting before the collapse of the Allarian Empire. Even after the glory days of the Empire were over, the Allarians occasionally formed an expedition to the island, but these ventures were never successful.


    Dartmoor
    The vegetation seems typical for the islands in roughly the same region as the Isle of Opposition, which is in itself worrying, because the Isle itself has very unusual plant life owing to the influence of its magical henges.

    You can identify the eurypterids. These creatures are found in shallow waters around several islands in the region (although not the Isle of Opposition itself), and some are known to grow even larger than these. They should indeed be quite edible.

    Wherever you are, your piskie sense of the natural world tells you that all is not well on this island. It is unusual for eurypterids to be so aggressive, and there is a muted quality to the area, as though the spirits themselves are keeping silent, perhaps even hiding.
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • #77
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pentius's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oh, I'm around, most days.
    Posts
    1,179

    Ý Ignore Pentius
    Noriaki looks at Aerys with some distaste when she retches, but he conceals it well. He knows about Smuggler's Shiv, the tale has spread far, and the very song that Hu Li had begun to sing earlier showcases it as one of the sailor's adventures. When Aerys despairs, and Sasha begins to cry, he springs to life, putting his hands on his hips and letting out a long, loud musical laugh. "Oi, Taka, we've landed on Smuggler's Shiv! When we get back to civilization, telling this story will earn us much glory! Well, ladies, isn't this grand? Minstrels of the future will sing our tale, a grand epic adventure. Little children, generations from now, will argue over who gets to play each of us!"

    Even as he regales the others with promises of future glory, Noriaki sends out a silent call to the local spirits, hoping they aren't truly alone.



    mechanics

    History for stuff: 1d20-1=13 Hey, I know stuff!

    Nature, to try and sense the presence of local elemental spirits: 1d20=10

    Diplomancy, to help cheer up Sasha and Aerys:1d20+2=20 I am a rock of reassurance in a sea of doubt.
    L4W: Noriaki Matsumoto, Barbarian Samurai

  • #78
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    twilsemail's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King of Prussia, PA
    Posts
    1,283

    Ý Ignore twilsemail
    "This place... It doesn't feel right... There's just something... wrong in the air." The captain appears to be searching for words. Unlike the persona he's put forward so far, he's obviously a bit shaken.

    "Oi! Dead dwarf over here. I think this is the one they called Nelli. One of them that hired us." Jeremy and a few grigs begin searching the dwarf. "It looks like he's been et a bit. Should we save a finger or sumfin?"
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds"
    Doc Holliday as portrayed by Val Kilmer in Tombstone

    LEB: Playing Mal
    L4W: Playing Felix
    L4W: Playing The Dartmoor Irregulars

  • #79
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    GROMkill's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    354

    Ý Ignore GROMkill
    Takahaan grabs his shield and supplies among the sand and stretches his shoulders, wondering how long he had laid stiff as a board on the beach, unconscious. Taking the humor in his friend's arrogant yet inspiring optimism and perspective on the situation, he speaks. "Noriaki, I believe that our intentions to compete honorably in the Games have taken a twist. I hope that we shall find an equal amount of opportunity for glory in these strange lands. Smuggler's Shiv you say? Let our urge for honor carry-"

    Takahaan interrupts himself as he notices the shackled dwarf sitting upright, eyes darting between the adventurers. Out of curiosity, suspicion, and possibly kindness, Takahaan decides to approach. Venturing toward him, Takahaan maintains a strong posture, indicating his power to the prisoner, should the dwarf decide to try anything shady.

    As the dragonborn reaches the bloodied, seated dwarf, Takahaan holds his words for a moment, staring him in the eye. "Hold, prisoner. I am no threat to you, a helpless stranger. Tell me, friend, why is it that you are chained?"

    Mechanics
    1d20+4=6 History check. Smuggler's Shiv? What is that?
    1d20+9=26 Diplomacy check for the unknown dwarf prisoner.

  • #80
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mewness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Alameda
    Posts
    1,904

    Ý Ignore Mewness
    “Oh, please shut up,” groans Aerys in response to Noriaki’s relentlessly cheerful remarks, though she seems slightly cheered in spite of herself. Sasha can’t help but smile through her tears. Ishirou shakes his head gravely at the follies of the young, while Gelik sighs. “Unless you’re planning on obtaining your boundless fame as a shipbuilder, you’ll no more be the subject of songs than that poor fellow over there.” He gestures weakly at Nelli. “I’d like to know how you plan to get off an island that no sane captain ever dares approach.”

    The manacled dwarf, reassured by Takahaan’s manner, starts to speak in a gush. “Noble benefactors! My name is Jade. I--I live in Daunton. De ancestor, he capture me to take back to Cactizatziliztli--he t'ink I am a criminal, dat I do a terrible--but I am innocent! Merciful lords--please, please, can you help me?” He holds up his manacled hands.

    As the Irregulars examine poor Nelli, they startle a smaller lobster-thing that was concealed under one of his legs, and it flees into the water. Nelli’s hide armor is damaged and his macuahuitl lies nearby. Besides a few personal effects--a comb and some sort of pipe--he is carrying only a stoppered vial.

    Treasure
    Nelli’s vial is a healing potion.

    Your Quest Log Has Been Updated
    Major Quest: Get safely off the island.

    Minor Quests (one for each NPC): Keep Aerys, Gelik, Ishirou, Jade, and Sasha alive.
    Last edited by Mewness; Monday, 6th June, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Papolstaanas (babbling kobold); Pharodeys (living statue); Scarmiglione (singing kenku)

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 8 of 145 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 189
      Last Post: Saturday, 27th July, 2013, 04:16 AM
    2. PoPP: Souls For Smuggler's Shiv [01]
      By Mowgli in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 793
      Last Post: Monday, 10th December, 2012, 05:03 PM
    3. The Necromancer's Skull (Judge - covaithe)
      By garyh in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 446
      Last Post: Sunday, 1st February, 2009, 03:39 PM
    4. Adventure Ideas for Skull & Bones
      By Calico_Jack73 in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: Friday, 2nd January, 2004, 01:26 AM
    5. [Serpent Amphora] Has anyone run the 3-part adventure series?
      By Wraith Form in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: Monday, 10th November, 2003, 06:23 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •