Tomb of Horrors - example of many, or one of a kind?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
There is no doubt at all that it is a hard module. However, it is also fair.
Except for: "...the boss fight (which is unfair..."?

For myself, I find ToH as an interesting adventure concept. It's the Paranoia adventure for D&D. I see it as intentionally, designed to be unfair. It's unfairness is the basis for it's reputation as a classic adventure module. It's unfairness is its whole claim to fame. To say it is perfectly fair is to completely undermine its whole purpose.

As a tournament module, I can see how its unfairness might be fun for some. But as a campaign module, it is unfair to the point of being mean spirited.

It's one of those things, like Global Thermonuclear War and Tic Tac Toe -- the only way to win is not to play. There's no real reason for the PCs to go into it -- there are other dungeons to explore.

But discussing it in this thread is weird because some hold it up as a great module because it is the toughest, most dangerous, most deadly dungeon of all time, and some others say it is great because actually an experienced party can navigate it with little harm. Aren't these views mutually exclusive?

Bullgrit

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But discussing it in this thread is weird because some hold it up as a great module because it is the toughest, most dangerous, most deadly dungeon of all time, and some others say it is great because actually an experienced party can navigate it with little harm. Aren't these views are mutually exclusive.

Only if the same person holds both views.

An individual's perspective and experiences have a huge effect on how he or she makes evaluations and assesses the truth, even remembers things. I recommend that everyone watch Rashomon and read up on the Rashomon Effect.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
But discussing it in this thread is weird because some hold it up as a great module because it is the toughest, most dangerous, most deadly dungeon of all time, and some others say it is great because actually an experienced party can navigate it with little harm. Aren't these views mutually exclusive?

Not at all, to be fair.

In fact those two views would have to be mutually supportive, surely? If something is the deadliest dungeon, than experienced players might be needed to traverse it without harm?

Cheers

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, and how ridiculous of me to post actual text from the subject we’re all talking about. Really? You’re upset that I’m posting actual text from the subject?

I find posting text from an adventure without spoiler tags to be in very poor form, yes. It doesn't matter how old the module is; how many D&D players have never been through it? It's enough of a classic that a 4e update to it was released as a dm reward.

Here's the thing: The effort required to throw a spoiler or sblock tag around that text is completely insignificant next to the effort required to type it up.

The problem is that *everything* is a feature.

Treasure was “devilishly” hidden in classic D&D. You had to search everything to find it.

Traps were everywhere in classic D&D. You had to leave stuff alone to avoid them.

Old-skool D&D was a game of calculated risks and devil's choices, yes. This was not a bug; it was a feature. There's a reason that you can make a new character in 15 minutes.

Every conversation around here about classic D&D becomes a daisy chain of “it’s your fault.” Didn’t search the random bags: you missed the treasure. Did search the random bags: you fell for the trap. Either way, it’s because you just weren’t a “skilled player.”

I think you're conflating "fair" and "it's your fault."

Is a combat encounter with a monster with a save or die attack fair in 1e? There are an awful lot of them, designed for pcs of level 1 and up. So I'd argue that save or die was an integral part of the game from the word go. I would say therefore that using a save or die monster is "fair" in 1e.

Does that mean it's your fault when your character gets killed by the giant centipede or spider or scorpion or assassin or whatever? Not at all.

Nothing was wonky back in classic D&D – “you” just don’t/didn’t understand the brilliance.

Is anyone actually arguing this? I thought the discussion was whether or not ToH was fair, not whether 1e was frequently lethal even when fair.

I just find it problematic for conversations and discussions to have *everything* presented as wonderful and brilliant. I also find it insulting to the truly great stuff of classic D&D.

Is anyone actually arguing this either? There were plenty of terrible old-skool things, from adventures to magic items to monsters to character classes to entire rule systems. To prove my bonafides on this I'll even call out one of each: Castle Greyhawk (the joke module), anything items, pseudo-undead, cavaliers, the DMG unarmed combat system.

I understand that not everyone agrees that ToH is good, much less brilliant; as with many adventures, it's a matter of taste and playstyle. But if any group run by a hard-ass dm can come through it intact (I'm looking at my campaign's experience), I can't buy that it's unfair.

Celebrim

Legend

Yes, which I already conceeded way back at the beginning of this. However, as I have said repeatedly, though I may as well be talking to a brick wall, the boss fight is avoidable. It is not at all necessary to defeat Acererak in order to loot the dungeon and take his stuff. Like I said before, the final fight is also a test, like most of the rest of the dungeon, of whether you blindly blunder into things. It is lethal primarily to the group that tries to solve every problem by achieving surprise and fighting to the death. It's unfair primarily because there are no clues to go on, and none of the means of successfully defeating the demi-lich are the sort of things that would be obvious to an experienced player or which are within the power of a character at this level. This is not true of the rest of the module.

For myself, I find ToH as an interesting adventure concept. It's the Paranoia adventure for D&D.

No it isn't. For example, the 'Through the Looking Glass' modules are Paranoia for D&D. They are hideously lethal, terribly unfair, and get this... somewhat humorous. They also have none of the reputation that ToH, and for good reason. Nothing in the presentation of Tomb of Horrors indicates this is to be a light hearted romp where death is arbitrary. It is clearly intended as a test of player skill.

I see it as intentionally, designed to be unfair.

No, it isn't. It's intentionally designed to be a blow to the pride of any player who on the basis of his character's power thinks himself a highly skilled player.

It's unfairness is the basis for it's reputation as a classic adventure module.

No, it isn't. This is the reason why almost no one has been able to replicate the success of Tomb of Horrors. They don't understand the module at all. If the basis of its reputation was simply its unfairness, not only would it not be the most classic module of the sort - as many older modules are far more unfair - but it would have been easily eclipsed. It's trivially easy to make a trap filled dungeon that is more unfair than Tomb of Horrors. Lots of people tried and lots of people succeeded, and then wondered why no one appreciated their efforts.

Making a hard dugeon is EASY. Making a hard dungeon that is also fair is VERY HARD. That's why Tomb of Horrors maintains its reputation with so many gamers. It's not just nostalgia. It's that there is to this day almost nothing else like it. But, there are tons of grossly unfair modules by lesser authors that didn't understand the magic Gygax had wrought.

It's unfairness is its whole claim to fame. To say it is perfectly fair is to completely undermine its whole purpose.

On the contrary, to call the module unfair is to undermine its whole purpose as a tournament module, as a serious test of player skill, and as a tool by which DM's teach players with big heads that they still have a thing or two to learn.

As a tournament module, I can see how its unfairness might be fun for some.

Does that make the slightest bit of sense? As a contest, you think its unfairness makes it fun? That's gibberish; people don't generally prize contests for their unfairness.

But as a campaign module, it is unfair to the point of being mean spirited.

As a campaign module, it might be reasonable to say that it hard to the point of being mean spirited. As I said right from the start, don't send your players beloved characters that are the result of years of roleplaying and character development into this meat grinder. But get this, being hard does not make something unfair. They are not the same thing, and you've repeatedly tried to conflate the two.

It's one of those things, like Thermonuclear War and Tic Tac Toe -- the only way to win is not to play. There's no real reason for the PCs to go into it -- there are other dungeons to explore.

Even to the extent that that is true, it no more makes ToH unfair than Tic Tac Toe is unfair.

But discussing it in this thread is weird because some hold it up as a great module because it is the toughest, most dangerous, most deadly dungeon of all time, and some others say it is great because actually an experienced party can navigate it with little harm. Aren't these views are mutually exclusive.

No. Why would they be? Are you saying that a fair module can't also be difficult? Because that seems to be the sum of your confusion.

And incidently, it is NOT the toughtest, most dangerous, most deadly dungeon of all time. It may have that reputation, but I'd argue that in most cases that reputation is undeserved and the product of ignorance on the part of those that say it. If you've played through S1, S2, C1, I6, and assorted other super dangerous modules by a DM with the gloves off, and you still think S1 is harder then I can only disagree. But if you think S1 is the toughest, most dangerous, most deadly dungeon of all time, then I'm willing to bet that in most cases ultimately you are just repeating what you've heard and have no real basis of comparison.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I see it as intentionally, designed to be unfair.

"Fair" is one of those words with many nuanced meanings.

"Fair" can mean "even handed, treating all the same". The module is largely mechanistic. If the PCs do X, then Y occurs. There's very little space for the GM to interpret behavior of the system, so in that sense, it is fair.

But, if you aren't extremely well versed in the style of Gygaxian traps and Gygaxian play, it would not be a fair challenge, in the same sense that it is unfair to expect you to pass a driver's test the first time behind the wheel of a car.

WizarDru

Adventurer

In context, he was pointing out that actually fighting Acererak was unfair...but that you didn't have to fight him...in fact, you could bypass him, get some treasure and escape. He's effectively a deadly trap, just like everything else.

Bullgrit said:

My take is this: Gary Gygax held this module up as an equalizer. He had heard and encountered plenty of players who bragged how they could handle any dungeon, as their characters had managed (likely by 'Monty Haul' methods) numerous magic items, spells and equipment. They felt they were invulnerable. Gary set out to prove them wrong and designed ToH, a module specifically intended to wipe the smirks off the faces of the arrogant. Said arrogant players had grown incautious or overconfident, certain that no task could defeat their characters. ToH was designed to humble such players.

But it is not unfair. Players aren't told that they are about to enter the Tomb of Soft Cuddly Bunnies. IIRC, Gary warned them upfront that the ToH would be a tough module full of death-traps and danger. The real question was how quickly it would take them to realize how vulnerable they actually were and adjust their tactics accordingly.

Celebrim's point isn't that it isn't HARD or UNCARING or LETHAL. His point is that it PLAYS FAIR. Unlike some modules, with traps that have no possible way of being decoded short of painful experience (iirc, Tsocjanth has several of these...there is no clue that one color is good and another bad, that one face on a pedestal is a boon and the other a curse, etc.), ToH presents players with a chance to figure things out.

ToH is fondly remembered for being both of these things. It was the Unholy Grail of modules, if you will. It gained a reputation in whispered circles as THE module to beat, THE module to marvel at. I'd wager far fewer DMs actually used the module than read it, but it got played plenty, even so. So it is justifiably remembered as this terrible thing, but it was also remembered that some folks DID beat it, fair and square. That's the key to its reputation, IMHO.

the Jester

Legend
As a tournament module, I can see how its unfairness might be fun for some. But as a campaign module, it is unfair to the point of being mean spirited.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Another is that it is the kind of challenge that is the topper of a group's career- if they win, they have bragging rights few others ever will.

I will agree that no dm should run it in a campaign unless their party understands up front that the dm plays hard and mean and isn't afraid of a tpk, though.

It's one of those things, like Global Thermonuclear War and Tic Tac Toe -- the only way to win is not to play.

Aargh! This is so not true. There are quite a few groups that have made it through- again, including my own. (If anyone wants to look at the story hour that detailed it, I can hunt down a link; also to the thread with many of my 3e conversions of the stuff in the RttToH boxed set.)

I'll compare it to playing chess with Kasparov again; you can win, it's just unholy hard.

Once more, "fair" and "really damn hard" are not mutually exclusive. Chess is fair, no matter who you play. Kasparov.

Celebrim

Legend
But, if you aren't extremely well versed in the style of Gygaxian traps and Gygaxian play, it would not be a fair challenge, in the same sense that it is unfair to expect you to pass a driver's test the first time behind the wheel of a car.

I never said I expected an inexperienced group of players to succeed. I'm not even sure I expect an experienced group of players to succeed, and if a party tells me that they defeated the demi-lich on the first time through I always expect one of the following:

a) The DM forgot about some of the module text.
b) The players had previously read either the module or the Demi-Lich entry in MM2.

However, just because only experts can pass the test, doesn't make the test unfair. Just horribly difficult.

Ulrick

First Post
The first AD&D module? are you sure? I could have sword I bought lots of them before I got tomb of horrors - G1-3 and D1-3 for sure?

Okay. After some digging...

I believe that you are correct, the Tomb of Horrors was not the first...

Both The Steadying of the Hill Giant Chief and The Tomb of Horrors was published in 1978 in monochrome, probably within months of each other. ToH was republished in 1981, after many of the other early modules had been printed.

Tomb of Horrors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(Dungeons_&_Dragons
Against the Giants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Yes, I know, I used wikipedia :-S, but moving on...)

The problem I've having is that many of these early modules lack ISBN numbers. And the Acaeum places the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief as the first D&D module, not AD&D.

However, looking at the product numbers are as follows.
Steading of the Hill Giant Chief 9016
The Tomb of Horrors 9022

Therefore, The Steadying of the Hill Giant Chief is clearly the first published AD&D module (unless somebody finds one with a earlier product number)

However, to make things a bit more confusing, and perhaps where some misinformation comes from, the 3.5e pdf update states:
"The original version of the his module was first used for the official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons tournament at Origins I in 1974. Next it was published as Dungeon Module S1 in 1981 using the 1st edition rules."

Adventures: Tomb of Horrors (Revised) This leads to the page to the download link for the pdf, not the pdf itself.

For some reason I thought the Tomb of Horrors was the first. But I was wrong. Perhaps I got mixed up with Gygax causing players to flee from the table before it was officially published.

Remove ads