Scales of War #1 Rescue at Rivenroar IC

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Freggo was starting to worry. Maybe he'd made a mistake leaving his apprentceship with that carpenter. And the archivist before that, he'd had such great books to read. He was just so sure that he was meant for bigger things. The wanderer said a talent with the blade of his caliber comes along once in a generation. There had been something about needing practice and dedication too, but who has time for that? Adventure calls!

Freggo sighed. At least, it was supposed to call. He couldn't find anyone in this bar that needs a hero. Maybe he could ask that nervous fellow wolfing down the fancy food. It seemed like he might have been holding back. Now where did he go? Oh, there he is by the door. Who's he talking to? Holy crap a fight, a real bar room brawl, this is more like it! Wait... Freggo peered down at the nervous guy's body in confusion. Blood? But... That's not how it's supposed to go...

[sblock=DM]
Please roll init for me, I'm on travel and it's hard to roll from the phone.
[/sblock]

OOC: Freggo's Init roll, with +2 Bonus is... well how about that- I am the DM after all- such are my powers.

OOC: Magnus you're first to dance, while Freggo is about to put himself to the test...

Caim

First Post
"You li..." Magnus watchs the torch hit the bottles of spirits and almost seems to cry. "That was good spirits gobers. Didn't filthy dog of a den mother ever teach ya not to play with fire?" He looks back to the sneaky goblin laughing on the bar. "Let's see how well ya laugh with a broken face."

OOC:
Move: Jump on top of bar, Athletics. R 32.
Standard: Charge Scorch. Move to R 28

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
"You li..." Magnus watchs the torch hit the bottles of spirits and almost seems to cry. "That was good spirits gobers. Didn't filthy dog of a den mother ever teach ya not to play with fire?" He looks back to the sneaky goblin laughing on the bar. "Let's see how well ya laugh with a broken face."

OOC:
Move: Jump on top of bar, Athletics. S 32.
Move: Move to R 29

OOC: Hop up top the bar (2 squares) and then move forward to R29 (3 squares)- that's one move- you move 5 squares, if you wanted to do it that way.

You could-

Move: with hop up on bar to R30
Standard: Charge Sneaky Gob #1

Sorry if I'm not seeing it... you could spend two movement points to get on the bar without even bothering with the Athletics check.

Caim

First Post
OOC:
Its my fault been a while since my last play and I was more than a little tired when I posted. Much like I am now. Let me know if you would like me to resolve the attack which would be a charge.

Goken100

First Post
[sblock=OOC Action Order]
I'm posting my turn now. This way the game isn't help up, as I won't be able to post until much later today.
By the way, I've been some PBP games where PCs can go at the same time if there aren't enemies between them in initiative order. I like that idea, could that work here as a general rule?
[/sblock]
Freggo's mind races, and he finds himself recalling a conversation with his old mentor...

"Yes, you have magic in you, Freggo, but you like swinging sticks around too much for me to think you would really take to following me on the path of the Magician," mused Schmendrick. "You remind me of an old friend, the way you dream of doing great deeds all the time..."
"Really? Then I'll be like him! What did he do?" young Freggo had asked excitedly.
"Do? Well... I suppose you could say he was a hero. But don't mistake me. He wasn't a hero because he swung a great piece of metal around. No, he was a hero because he did what others dared not. When everyone else is frozen, and all seems lost, the very few will step forward to do what needs to be done. That's... what... heroes are for..."

Freggo suddenly shouts out, "You're right, that's exactly what heroes are for!"
He leaps forward, whipping his sword from his back and advancing on the monsters crowding in through the doorway. "Stand back everyone! Froggo the Hero, Last of the Red-Hot Swammis, is here!"

Freggo advances on the goblin who had killed the hapless bar patron, and prepares his sword, mumbling, "magic do as you will...". His sword starts to glow faintly, and he darts forward, catching the hapless hobgoblin unawares. He sword strikes unerringly, dealing a devastating blow just below the creature's neck! Before the fiend has time to react, Freggo is suffused in the light from his blade, which draws him back and pulls the wounded creature with him. The hero prepares his blade for his next move, waiting to see if his enemy has survived his first strike...

[sblock=Mechanics]
Free Action: Investigate enemies with Nature
Move Action: Move to W:27 so as not to draw any OAs.
Standard Action: Luring Strike vs. AC of Doofus. First shift to W:26. The attack crits for 8 damage and Freggo shifts again to V:25 and pulls Doofus to W:26.
Action Point: Depends on if Doofus lives; if so, will action point to attack both adjacent enemies with Sword of Sigils.
Minor Action: Depends on who lives; will definitely use it to mark someone with Aegis of Ensnarement.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
OOC:
Its my fault been a while since my last play and I was more than a little tired when I posted. Much like I am now. Let me know if you would like me to resolve the attack which would be a charge.

OOC: I messaged TSS sometime ago, when I posted earlier asking him to carry on and resolve his attack- I realise we're not in the same time zone TSS, I hope you don't mind but I'm just going to roll for your charge attack, as I say apologies.

Magnus leaps on to the bar, scattering drinks and plates of food in his wake and then warhammer in hand charges at Scorch aiming to bring the pain.

OOC: Minor: Draw Warhammer
Move: Leap up on bar and to R30
Standard: Charge Scorch (to R28).

Scorch staggers a little, only a glancing blow- he eyes the fat Dwarf warily, spits and places his hand on the hilt of his short sword- 'yewl pay fur dat, dung breath!"

[sblock=Combat]

Encounter #1 Bar Fight

Turn: 1

Initiative (* = Next to play)

26 Sneaky Goblin #1
26 Sneaky Goblin #2
23 Magnus (TSS)
19 Hobgoblin #1*
19 Hobgoblin #2
19 Hobgoblin #3
19 Hobgoblin #4
19 Hobgoblin #5
19 Hobgoblin #6
15 Viator (Raven)
14 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
0 Patrons of the Inn

HP & Conditions

PCs
Ah-shahran 30/30 Surges 8/8
Freggo 27/27 Surges 9/9
Kalimaru 25/25 Surges 8/8
Kyalia 26/26 Surges 8/8
Magnus 38/38 Surges 13/13
Viator 26/25 Surges 8/8 Flaming Bitumen Torch at feet.

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #1- taken 4 damage & Marked by Magnus.
Sneaky Goblin #2
Hobgoblin #1
Hobgoblin #2
Hobgoblin #3
Hobgoblin #4
Hobgoblin #5
Hobgoblin #6

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Sneaky Goblin #1- Move on to bar (R27). Light 2nd Torch. Throw Torch behind bar (M29), it burns.

Sneaky Goblin #2- Burst in to Inn & Move (N42). Throw Bitumen Torch Viator- Hit 1 HO Fire damage and the Torch burns.

Magnus- Draw Warhammer. Leap on the bar and to R30. Charge Scorch- Hit 4 damage & Marked.

[/sblock]

Freggo gets to work...

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
OOC: My mistake Freggo gets into the action.

Freggo's mind races, and he finds himself recalling a conversation with his old mentor...

"Yes, you have magic in you, Freggo, but you like swinging sticks around too much for me to think you would really take to following me on the path of the Magician," mused Schmendrick. "You remind me of an old friend, the way you dream of doing great deeds all the time..."
"Really? Then I'll be like him! What did he do?" young Freggo had asked excitedly.
"Do? Well... I suppose you could say he was a hero. But don't mistake me. He wasn't a hero because he swung a great piece of metal around. No, he was a hero because he did what others dared not. When everyone else is frozen, and all seems lost, the very few will step forward to do what needs to be done. That's... what... heroes are for..."

Freggo suddenly shouts out, "You're right, that's exactly what heroes are for!"
He leaps forward, whipping his sword from his back and advancing on the monsters crowding in through the doorway. "Stand back everyone! Froggo the Hero, Last of the Red-Hot Swammis, is here!"

Freggo advances on the goblin who had killed the hapless bar patron, and prepares his sword, mumbling, "magic do as you will...". His sword starts to glow faintly, and he darts forward, catching the hapless hobgoblin unawares. He sword strikes unerringly, dealing a devastating blow just below the creature's neck! Before the fiend has time to react, Freggo is suffused in the light from his blade, which draws him back and pulls the wounded creature with him. The hero prepares his blade for his next move, waiting to see if his enemy has survived his first strike...

Free Action: Investigate enemies with Nature
Move Action: Move to W:27 so as not to draw any OAs.
Standard Action: Luring Strike vs. AC of Doofus. First shift to W:26. The attack crits for 8 damage and Freggo shifts again to V:25 and pulls Doofus to W:26.
Action Point: Depends on if Doofus lives; if so, will action point to attack both adjacent enemies with Sword of Sigils.
Minor Action: Depends on who lives; will definitely use it to mark someone with Aegis of Ensnarement.

OOC: Ignore the dice roll attached my bad, I forgot about Freggo getting 21 Init.

Freggo cuts down Doofus with one swing of his longsword, he looks at the blade, mesmerised by his own success- but for a moment, before shuffling forward to meet Smeg and draw his sting...

[sblock=Combat]

Encounter #1 Bar Fight

26 Sneaky Goblin #1
26 Sneaky Goblin #2
23 Magnus (TSS)
21 Freggo
19 Hobgoblin #1*
19 Hobgoblin #2
19 Hobgoblin #4
19 Hobgoblin #5
19 Hobgoblin #6
15 Viator (Raven)
14 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
0 Patrons of the Inn

HP & Conditions

PCs
Freggo 27/27 Surges 9/9
Kyalia 26/26 Surges 8/8
Viator 26/25 Surges 8/8 Flaming Bitumen Torch at feet.

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #2
Hobgoblin #1
Hobgoblin #2
Hobgoblin #3- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #4
Hobgoblin #5
Hobgoblin #6

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Sneaky Goblin #1- Move on to bar (R27). Light 2nd Torch. Throw Torch behind bar (M29), it burns.

Sneaky Goblin #2- Burst in to Inn & Move (N42). Throw Bitumen Torch Viator- Hit 1 HO Fire damage and the Torch burns.

Magnus- Draw Warhammer. Leap on the bar and to R30. Charge Scorch- Hit 4 damage & Marked.

Freggo- Move W27. Luring Strike Hob#3 Doofus- Hit & Killed, and Shift to V25. Aegis of Ensnarement Smeg.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
The bar errupts, a cacophany of screams and shouts as the Hobgoblins enter the fray.

Hob#1 Gronk.

Gronk shuffles forward making parrying blows with his longsword and attempts to skewer Freggo with his blade, and draws a line of blood along Freggo's left arm- it's all become very real for the neophyte Swordmage.

Hob#2 Smeg

Already in close, his sword dances- can Freggo keep both the brutes at bay, Smeg makes it harder for Freggo by shuffling a little to his rear, and when he least expects it slices- and cuts deep, scoring a line across Freggo's shoulder, and nipping him in the neck, the wound bleeds profusely.

OOC: Freggo has taken 10 damage in that short exchange.

Hob#4 Thug

Leaps up the stairs two at a time and rushes over to Berk, a fat merchant enjoying his repast- he decapitates the man and screams his delight.

Hob#5 Trev

Leaps up the stairs and takes a look around, he spots his foe- the one that looks like a pansy Elf (Viator), he charges- his aim is true, Viator is cut badly at his side, his clothes soon soaked through with blood.

OOC: Viator takes 5 damage.

Hob#6 Gut Spike

Follows his compatriots up the stairs and into the Inn, and spots instantly his opening- Viator, coming through, he charges figuring him and Trev can do the job and bring the feeble Elf down (I know he's an Eladrin). Gut Spike is on target also, and Viator feels his sting, he's almost bloodied- he winces, half in shock, a wall of Hobgoblins before him.

OOC: Viator takes another 5 damage.

Hob#7 Gah!

Out of sight Gah rushes forward to stand by Fiery Pete's side, his longsword drawn- menacing any that would get close to the Goblin with the flaming torch.

OOC: And so endeth the charge of the Hobgoblins, with a bag full of hits and no misses.

And remember Viator you have a burning torch at your feet, at the start of your round you take 1 more point of fire damage.

[sblock=Combat]

Encounter #1 Bar Fight

26 Sneaky Goblin #1
26 Sneaky Goblin #2
23 Magnus (TSS)
21 Freggo
19 Hobgoblin #1
19 Hobgoblin #2
19 Hobgoblin #4
19 Hobgoblin #5
19 Hobgoblin #6
19 Hobgoblin #7
15 Viator (Raven)*
14 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
0 Patrons of the Inn

HP & Conditions

PCs
Freggo 27/17 Surges 9/9
Kyalia 26/26 Surges 8/8
Viator 26/15 Surges 8/8 Flaming Bitumen Torch at feet- 1 HP damage.

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #2
Hobgoblin #1
Hobgoblin #2
Hobgoblin #3- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #4
Hobgoblin #5
Hobgoblin #6
Hobgoblin #7

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Freggo- Move W27. Luring Strike Hob#3 Doofus- Hit & Killed, and Shift to V25. Aegis of Ensnarement Smeg.

Hob#1- Move V24. Longsword Freggo- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#2- Shift U26. Longsword Freggo- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#4- Charge Berk- Hit & Killed.

Hob#5- Move N41. Charge Viator- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#6- Move N41. Charge Viator- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#7- Move N41. Ready Action.

Viator-

[/sblock]

OOC: Sorry about the confusion earlier, in general I've been having a bad day today, I've just been to sleep for the last several hours and now feel like a new man- a lack of sleep and anxiety are not good for the soul.

New Map-

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/goonalan/Scales+of+War+#1+Rescue+at+Rivenroar/

OOC: We'll stick to Initiative order for this fight, see how it goes, then discuss the options before the next combat- and hopefully change the rules a little.

Next up Viator...

Last edited:

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
The sting of the blades cuts sharply through his mind and his training kicks in. Focussing his pain into thought, Viator springs into action. No longer smiling, his left eye twitches as the torch at his feet flies across the room, landing by the wall behind the goblin. Before the hobgoblins can blink, he bares his teeth at them and disappears, appearing again by the stairs to the upper level. His right hand pressed to his temple was the only warning they got before his power ripped through them all trying to pull their body parts from each other in a fountain of blood.
Breathing heavily, Viator looks around to assess the situation.
[sblock=Combat Actions]Minor = Far Hand on the torch: move it to M42
Move = Fey Step: Teleport to W36
Standard = Dimensional Scramble: centered on O42, catching Gah!, Firey Pete, Thug, Gut Spike and Trev[/sblock]
[sblock=Viator Combat Stats]AC: 14 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 15
Init: 0 PI: 17 PP:17
HP: 14/26
Surges: 8/8
Power Points: 2/2
[sblock=Powers]Dimensional Scramble (+4 vs Fort, 1d6+4 dmg)
Force Punch (+4 vs Fort, 1d8+4 force dmg)
Fey Step
Far Hand
Forceful Push
Living Missile (+4 vs Fort, immobilized/slowed (save ends); +4 vs Ref, 2d6+4 dmg and prone - half for primary target and prone)
[/sblock][sblock=Rituals]Sending
Tenser’s Floating Disk
[/sblock][/sblock]
OOC: I am so new to this dice roller. That was obviously going in a clockwise direction starting top left so the first Trev should be Thug. I saved the rolls and they didn't all come out! I was hoping for a little better rolling!

OOC: Oh and they're all vs Fort. I'll do better next time, promise

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
The sting of the blades cuts sharply through his mind and his training kicks in. Focussing his pain into thought, Viator springs into action. No longer smiling, his left eye twitches as the torch at his feet flies across the room, landing by the wall behind the goblin. Before the hobgoblins can blink, he bares his teeth at them and disappears, appearing again by the stairs to the upper level. His right hand pressed to his temple was the only warning they got before two of them were ripped apart, their body parts pulled apart from each other in a fountain of blood.
Breathing heavily, Viator looks around to assess the situation.

[sblock=Combat Actions]Minor = Far Hand on the torch: move it to M42
Move = Fey Step: Teleport to W36
Standard = Dimensional Scramble: centered on O42, catching Gah!, Firey Pete, Thug, Gut Spike and Trev[/sblock]

OOC: I am so new to this dice roller. That was obviously going in a clockwise direction starting top left so the first Trev should be Thug. I saved the rolls and they didn't all come out! I was hoping for a little better rolling!

OOC: Oh and they're all vs Fort. I'll do better next time, promise

Noticeably it's Gut Spike and Trev who are mangled- ripped apart, they were the ones that stuck their blades in Viator, the remaining Hobgoblins blink and stare, trying to make sense of what just happened...

Fiery Pete, screams them back in to action- "Make 'em pay!"

And then smells something burning, the torch has singed his boots...

[sblock=Combat]

Encounter #1 Bar Fight

26 Sneaky Goblin #1
26 Sneaky Goblin #2
23 Magnus (TSS)
21 Freggo
19 Hobgoblin #1
19 Hobgoblin #2
19 Hobgoblin #4
19 Hobgoblin #7
15 Viator (Raven)
14 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)*
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
0 Patrons of the Inn

HP & Conditions

PCs
Freggo 27/17 Surges 9/9
Kyalia 26/26 Surges 8/8
Viator 26/15 Surges 8/8 Flaming Bitumen Torch at feet- 1 HP damage.

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #2
Hobgoblin #1
Hobgoblin #2
Hobgoblin #3- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #4
Hobgoblin #5- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #6- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #7

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Hob#1- Move V24. Longsword Freggo- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#2- Shift U26. Longsword Freggo- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#4- Charge Berk- Hit & Killed.

Hob#5- Move N41. Charge Viator- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#6- Move N41. Charge Viator- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#7- Move N41. Ready Action.

Viator- Move Torch M42. Fey Step W36. Dimensional Scramble Gah, Fiery Pete, Thug, Gut Spike & Trev- Gut Spike & Trev killed.
Ah-shahran-

[/sblock]

OOC: Ah-shahran is up...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases