Scales of War #1 Rescue at Rivenroar IC

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
OOC: Do we have time for a second short rest, or just the one? For the moment, I'll just post the healing I have for one short rest.

Ah-shahran cackles as the goblin falls to the barrage of arrows. Good shooting, girl! Turning to Viator, he says, Nice work with the flames, sonny. Now patch up that scratch! Meanwhile, Gorm ambles over to Freggo and Magnus, gives Freggo a lick, and then settles onto his haunches, panting happily.

[sblock=Mechanics]Inspiring Word on Viator (Viator adds the die roll to his surge value). Mending Spirit on Magnus, splashing HP to Freggo (Magnus spends a surge, Freggo regains 1d6 HP without spending a surge).[/sblock]

In short order Ah-shahran ensures that all of the group- who have not met each other yet of course, are a little less bruised and battered (see below).

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter

Turn:

Initiative (* = Next to play)

HP & Conditions

PCs
Ah-shahran 30/25 Surges 8/8
Freggo 27/22 Surges 9/9
Kalimaru 25/25 Surges 8/8
Kyalia 26/25 Surges 8/8
Magnus 38/36 Surges 13/12
Viator 26/25 Surges 8/7

Monsters

Actions To Date

Turn #1

[/sblock]

You're fine to take another 5 minute rest, outside the Inn (see map of Fallcrest 000 Fallcrest The Nentir Inn is the large building on the left, the only building this side of the river), every now and then, citizens of Fallcrest run by.

It's clear there are other events occuring, you can hear distant sounds from the other side of the river, but nothing certain.

The odd citizen pokes his head inside, mutters something about an 'attack', and 'Goblins!, and 'the Red Hand'- but nothing more than this...

The patrons of the Inn are looking to you for leadership, they're glad they have heroes in their midst, and are more than keen for you to stay here- just in case.

This would be an ideal time perhaps to introduce yourselves to each other, perhaps even to the patrons of the Inn who are keen to learn more about the people that saved their lives.

We're taking another five minute rest for now, so feel free to grab the floor for a short speech or two, and investigate or... well, whatever it is you want to do, there certainly are a lot of bodies lying around.

No new map.

Some general chatter from the crowd at the Inn-

Wumpus (Drunk)- "Come on, let's get aht there- kill us some Gobbo's- are you wi me?" Wumpus slumps on to the floor dead drunk.

Jimbo (bar lad- glasses collector)- to Freego- "Are you wun a them heroes mister? Show us yer sword den..."

Shadwick (bar dwarf)- to Ah-shahran- "Who are these bastards then?" He indicates a Goblin dead body.

Ayella (bar woman)- to Kali- "What the hell did they want? I don't get it- why would they attack here?"

Earl Pye (Fish Merchant)- "Brave fellow! You're very brave fellows- have you been adventuring together long? What a team... d'ya like prawns? I've a big bag of prawns, and other shellfish, with your name on it." The later to Kyalia.

Dick Dirk (bar lad- glasses collector)- to Magnus- "Cor mister, that was ace- d'ya reckon I could do that wen'un I grow up?"

Zorbad (Merchant)- to Viator- "I saw what you did, that's quite a talent you've got there..." Zorbad edges away from Viator.

Gurp the Killer (Bouncer)- "I could'a 'andled 'em easy like, bu' a new yew guys needed da work out."

Blind Pete (Blindman)- "What's all the noise- are they having a dance here?"

Feel free to answer any of the questions- particularly if they are aimed at you...

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
[sblock=Mechanics]One more Mending Spirit then, targeting me and splashing Freggo again. And a couple of knowledge checks to help inform my next post (will be a few hours on that).[/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
Kyalia

After a quick search and reassuring herself, that there are no more goblins inside for the time being, Kyalia heads back to the others.

“Thank you for your help!” she says to the Deva. “My name is Kyalia.”

When the fish merchant rushes over to offer her some prawn, Kyalia just smiles and takes one of them, nodding thankfully.

The elf then addresses everyone.

“We should consider the quite real possibility that these were not all of them. Goblins wouldn't dare such an open attack with just such few warriors. There must be more around. We should go hunting! What do you say?”

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
[sblock=Mechanics]One more Mending Spirit then, targeting me and splashing Freggo again. And a couple of knowledge checks to help inform my next post (will be a few hours on that).[/sblock]

Ah-shahran shares his thoughts and knowledge-

The Red Hand... over a century ago an army of mainly Orcs, but also Goblinoids, invaded the Nentir Vale- they destroyed most everything in their path. Fallcrest itself was reduced to a pile of rubble... it was the beginning of the points of light approach to the vale- very little survived.

The symbol of the Red Hand was a Bloody Right Hand/Claw.

The Hand held some areas within the Vale (Hammerfast) but for the most part was content to overrun and destroy most places.

The Hand was lead by... well, that depends on who you listen to, favourites have included-
Demons or Devils- they get the blame for most stuff.
A cruel Dragon- see above.
A Lich- again.

The Hand were defeated by a group of adventurers, with help from a small but dedicated resistance movement, the adventurers were a mixture of local heroes and those from outside the vale.

A lot of the events at the time of the Red Hand are unrecorded, the Vale- in the course of a year or two went from having a population approaching 150,000 to a population of 5,000-10,000. There were very few people around to witness the fall of the Hand, those that were around were generally hiding in order to stay alive.

The Markelhay (the family that rule Fallcrest) were part of the resistance movement, as were several other prominent Fallcrest families.

Fallcrest still has a little museum attached to the Temple of Erathis, run by a doddery old geezer, where the school kids are taken to learn about 'the past' and see some of the relics and remains of the time of Red Hand- mouldering old junk.

Sinruth... you've never heard of him/her, clearly not a deity, so probably the name of the Goblin Chief or Commander.

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
Zorbad (Merchant)- to Viator- "I saw what you did, that's quite a talent you've got there..." Zorbad edges away from Viator.
He turns to the merchant, wiping the blood away:

I'm glad I could have been of service. Is everyone...

His eyes drops as he watches yet another person disengage from him.

Turning to Viator, he says, Nice work with the flames, sonny. Now patch up that scratch!
Thank you, sir. My name is Viator. Yes, sir.

He smiles warmly and drops lightly to the floor, cross legged. Head bowed he concentrates on the unity of mind and body, restoring both as well as he can. Using the encouragement from the white-haired companion he finds his focus particularly sharp.

“We should consider the quite real possibility that these were not all of them. Goblins wouldn't dare such an open attack with just such few warriors. There must be more around. We should go hunting! What do you say?”

His head snaps up, his ice blue eyes shining in the light.

We hunt.

Goken100

First Post
Freggo Reacts to Everything

OOC: Lots to post so bear with me...
Oh and by the way, excellent work people.
Thanks! Great start to the game, kudos to the DM!
The Hand were defeated by a group of adventurers, with help from a small but dedicated resistance movement, the adventurers were a mixture of local heroes and those from outside the vale.
DM: It occurs to me that Freggo's backstory would be more interesting if it had something to do with the campaign. Can I say that Freggo's benefactor Schmendrick (along with friends Lir and Molly) were among the heroes and resistance that fought agains The Hand? I'll post here assuming that's okay, but I'm open to changing if that doesn't work.

Jimbo (bar lad- glasses collector)- to Freego- "Are you wun a them heroes mister? Show us yer sword den..."

Freggo is wide-eyed and breathing heavily, looking around as if expecting some new danger to present itself at any moment. "Errr, yes, a hero...

He gradually calms himself enough to clean and sheath his sword. He looks over as some of the other heroes of the bar begin discussing the situation, but mostly listens while he catches his breath. He smiles as the strange animal seems to offer him encouragement.
OOC: Freggo spends a healing surge, should be full now with the extra healing from Gorn.

Realizing he needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and get going, Freggo collects himself and addresses the bar lad. "A hero isn't someone who swings about a lump of metal. A hero is someone who does what needs to be done, even when he doesn't want to. And it looks like that job isn't done yet today. Help take care of the folks in this bar, will you?"

Freggo squares his shoulders walks toward manic-looking Deva and claps him on the shoulder warmly. "This animal here is your friend, I take it? Thank him for me, will you? His aid against those monsters was invaluable, and his gentle encouragement reminds me that heroes doesn't stop while trouble still threatens! My name is Freggo Meusins, a hero. Well fought all, we saved a lot of lives today!"

OOC: Freggo recalls his own knowledge of The Red Hand, particularly in light of Schmendrick's teachings.

"Yes, just as the folks here relied on us, innocents elsewhere may yet be in peril! We should forge together as one, united against the fiends that would rape and pillage the good folk of this land!" Freggo realizes he is getting a little overexcited, and blushes a little, clearing his throat.

"My mentor, the Great Schmendrick the Magician, was among those who helped defeat the original Red Hand. From what I understand, it was no simple affair. A whole mess of nasties were involved, and some of them might have survived the aftermath to threaten innocents once again. In Schmendrick's name, I am honor bound to see them defeated! Let us delay no more!"

Goken100

First Post
Kali is angry put protective

Ayella (bar woman)- to Kali- "What the hell did they want? I don't get it- why would they attack here?"
Kali grunts dismissively. "Gobs don't need reasons to kill. Never mind them, quit pestering me with dumb questions, and do something useful with yerself!"

Kali throws up his hands and marches toward the others who managed to do something useful in the fight.

As Ah-Shahran and Freggo discuss history and other useless drivel, Kali burst into the conversation. "Name's Kalimaru. You lot seem less useless than the rest of this riffraff, but you're wasting time flapping your mouths when you should be swinging steal. There's more of them buggers out there, let's go already!"

Kali marches angrily for the door, leaving it to the others to follow or not.

Last edited:

Caim

First Post
Magnus walks over to were everyone else seems to gathering. "Aye the elf is right. Goblins as stupid and ugly as they maybe-are still smart enough to watch their own hides."

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
OOC: Freggo recalls his own knowledge of The Red Hand, particularly in light of Schmendrick's teachings.

"Yes, just as the folks here relied on us, innocents elsewhere may yet be in peril! We should forge together as one, united against the fiends that would rape and pillage the good folk of this land!" Freggo realizes he is getting a little overexcited, and blushes a little, clearing his throat.

"My mentor, the Great Schmendrick the Magician, was among those who helped defeat the original Red Hand. From what I understand, it was no simple affair. A whole mess of nasties were involved, and some of them might have survived the aftermath to threaten innocents once again. In Schmendrick's name, I am honor bound to see them defeated! Let us delay no more!"

Alas Freggo can recall no more than Ah-shahran has already offered, the happenings- the Red Hand's rising, was afterall something that happened a century ago. In fact the only nugget that Freggo can add is that the Hand's attack and decimation of the Vale was actually over 110 years ago.

Which is increasinlgy strange- why were the Goblins shouting about the Hand, it's ancient history, fit only for the museum (see previous post).

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter

Turn:

Initiative (* = Next to play)

HP & Conditions

PCs
Ah-shahran 30/30 Surges 8/7
Freggo 27/23 Surges 9/9
Kalimaru 25/25 Surges 8/8
Kyalia 26/25 Surges 8/8
Magnus 38/36 Surges 13/12
Viator 26/25 Surges 8/7

Monsters

Actions To Date

Turn #1

[/sblock]

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
In reply to various offerings...

Kali opens the door of the Inn, about to head out on the hunt- standing in the doorway, smirking, is Sgt. Thurmina from the Fallcrest Guard, with her an out of breath squad of guards. Thurmina herself looks calmly cool- it's her way.

She pushes past Kali, the Guards do likewise- shutting the door behind them and posting a guard-

"No-one's going anywhere..." Thurmina starts, "until I find out what has occurred here, I take it the injured have been taken care of, the dead seen to and identified, and these Goblins", Thurmina points her blade at one of the bodies.

"They've been examined? Anything to report? Well... Okay let's start with an easy one- nobody leaves here understand- it's dangerous out there, you got lucky, maybe- I want the whole story, somebody start talking!"

Just a note, Thurmina is known to be all business, stern and impolite, but an excellent soldier through and through.

Start talking, or you're going no where... unless you want to fight the guard?

New Map-

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/goonalan/Scales+of+War+#1+Rescue+at+Rivenroar/?g2_page=3

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases