Playtest: Warlock Updates

Aegeri

First Post
Firstly, there is some solid stuff in here and most of it is buffs. That's right, I said BUFFS. There are a few powers that got damage downscaled, but the majority are up and sometimes by a fair amount. Biggest change if you can inflict curse damage more than 1/round, which means Warlocks can really get a substantial DPR boost from out of turn attacks. Eldritch Bolt and Eldritch Strike are RBAs and MBAs respectively: making the Warlock an attractive leader companion now.

I haven't digested this fully, but it's a huge change and I couldn't be happier to see they focused on BUFFING an underperforming class - not destroying it.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Yes, on the whole, they did a decent job of improving the class substantially. Nice damage boosts, cleaner language in the powers (some of them were confusing before), and 1/turn curse was long overdue.

One complaint so far: Fey Switch does not need to be a daily - it was just fine as an encounter power. This is one change I'll be ignoring.

Neverfate

First Post
Yes, on the whole, they did a decent job of improving the class substantially. Nice damage boosts, cleaner language in the powers (some of them were confusing before), and 1/turn curse was long overdue.

One complaint so far: Fey Switch does not need to be a daily - it was just fine as an encounter power. This is one change I'll be ignoring.

Coloring error. The power still reads as an Encounter power. It's the first thing I made sure to check. Fey Switch is awesome.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Biggest change if you can inflict curse damage more than 1/round, which means Warlocks can really get a substantial DPR boost from out of turn attacks.
So you're reading this:
You can deal this extra damage only once per turn.
(Changed from "You can deal this extra damage only once per round." in the PHB)

As meaning that Warlock's Curse Damage may be dealt each creature's turn within a round?

Or what? I ask because I'm not seeing the distinction.

ravenheart

Explorer
So you're reading this:

(Changed from "You can deal this extra damage only once per round." in the PHB)

As meaning that Warlock's Curse Damage may be dealt each creature's turn within a round?

Or what? I ask because I'm not seeing the distinction.
Exactly. So when you are given the opportunity of an out of turn attack (such as an OA or a granted attack), you can still deal extra damage even if you already dealt it on your previous turn.

EDIT: As it is worded "once per turn", it means each and every combatants turn in combat as opposed to only your turn, your allies turns or your enemies turns.

Last edited:

Aegeri

First Post
That is precisely how it works. Before you could only do it once per round, but now you can do it every turn. So if you hit an enemy on your turn, you can apply your curse damage. Then if you get granted an attack, an opportunity attack or something else happens that you can attack again outside of your turn, you could hit and apply your curse damage again. I don't think Warlocks have a lot of minor action attacks or similar, but this does help give them a boost regardless. It does mean that Eldritch Strike is even more attractive: Because the MBA option it gives can provide some strong OAs (much like how a Rogue/Thief gets a lot out of OAs if they can set them up).

Obryn

Hero
I think the Star Pact still needs some work... I'd like to see Dire Radiance get switched to a Con or Cha power, for example, or else get a second Star Pact option. Cut down on their MAD a bit.

-O

Looks good. They could have included Eldritch Strike under the Eldritch Blast class feature, but that's a minor complaint.

I think the Star Pact still needs some work... I'd like to see Dire Radiance get switched to a Con or Cha power, for example, or else get a second Star Pact option. Cut down on their MAD a bit.

I'm surprised they didn't do this. I mean, it's been a common and justified complaint since 2008, and I can't think of a reason to leave it as MAD as it is.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Eldritch Bolt and Eldritch Strike are RBAs and MBAs respectively: making the Warlock an attractive leader companion now.

I'm assuming by Eldritch Bolt you mean Eldritch Blast? If so, it always was a RBA. I don't see anything called Eldritch Strike, though. Where was that?

Remove ads