New York, New York!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sharon (she be wifey) and I are leaning towards New York for a week or so after Gen Con. I've been there a few times before and always enjoyed it, but Sharon hasn't and I know she'll like it.

It's not set in stone (I've been to various places on the East Coast, so did contemplate the West Coast as well, with a brief flitation with the idea of the South, but I think that'd be more a me and [MENTION=6584]Inconsequenti-AL[/MENTION] [who I usually end up in the US with] thing than a me and Sharon thing).

Anyway, any advice on hotels and stuff? I'm familiar enough with Manhattan to get around, and know where most of the cool stuff is, but feel like I've always done badly on my hotel choices because I know where the touristy stuff is - but don't necessarily know the area that the random hotel we (myself and [MENTION=6584]Inconsequenti-AL[/MENTION]) selected in previous trips.

Last couple of times, Al and I agreed that a hotel near Greenwich Village would have been more convenient given the stuff we ended up doing.

Also - I'll take Sharon to all the obvious sights (I've seen 'em, but they're cool) but I wouldn't mind a bit of advice on some not-so-obvious stuff I might not have seen or done there.

Finally - any EN Worlders in the area, we'd love to hook up!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm in! :)

So, like, August 8-14? You're going to be hitting peak fest season, if movies and music are up your alley. Outdoor everything, from Shakespeare to rap music.

I'll have to hit up my usual sources to see if there's anything absolutely fascinating going on that would be difficult to find anywhere else.

I live in Brooklyn, and if you've never been, there's some interesting places to hit, if you haven't, and you have the time. Can be a bit of a trip if you're pressed, though.

Afraid I can't directly help you with a good hotel in the Village, but if you'd like to do a little Sid & Nancy thing, the Hotel Chelsea is taking reservations. ;)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I lived in Manhattan for two years, but that was over ten years ago.

My only advice would be to research Shakespeare in the Park before you decide to go. We had to arrive 6+ hours early and sit in line to get passes. Don't expect to show up and get to see the show.

I don't actually know how they do it now, but if you are really interested, find out exactly what to do first.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Life long New Yorker, and I know squat about touristy stuff ;)

That being said, I have a friend that acts like a life long tourist. I'll see if he has hotel ideas.

Ranes

Adventurer
I would love to be able to recommend a good hotel in Greenwich Village but I've never stayed in one. Last time I went to New York, my girlfriend and I stayed here and it was fantastic. It's especially handy if you do want easy access to touristy stuff.

It looks like they've renovated recently, so I don't know if they still have lifts that give you floor-specific weather forecasts but the design of the place and the attitude of the staff was first rate.

As for a touristy tip, I had great helicopter tour of Manhattan with Liberty Helicopter Tours. Don't know if they're still going, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My wife and I recently took a trip to NYC to see "Sleep No More". We had quite a time finding an affordable hotel in Manhattan.

Then, we found the Chelsea Savoy Hotel - it's not at all fancy, but it was well-situated on the 1/2/3 subway line, impeccably clean, and affordable.

A note - the price I got when I called the hotel directly and asked for a reservation was about $100 per night *lower* than prices listed on travel sites like Expedia and Travelocity.

Remove ads