Need help with balancing a race

DungeonDragon

First Post
Hey, I'm new here. Sorry if I'm not supposed to start a thread, but I didn't know where else to put this, so if the admins want to delete this thread, that's fine. I would just like to know where I could post this alternatively :)
I am creating a new campaign for myself and a few friends, and the theme is basically the d&d (3.5) world, but on a DIFFERENT continent. So there are a bunch of new races I have had to make, as well as new classes, cultures, legends, etc. The most difficult thing to do is to balance a race or a class, at least for me. Some people seem to think that a balanced race or class is a weak race or class, whereas I believe it can be balanced by great bonuses and equal penalties (as long as the scales meet, right?). But any kind of balance is good, I think. Anyway now that that is out of the way, let me get to the point of this thread. I have a race (two, technically) that I am trying to balance, and I was wondering what changes YOU would make to this race to make it balanced, while preserving the idea of the race. The two races are sort of 'cousins', because they evolved from the same primitive race. They just evolved differently, resulting in to similar, but different, races. They are called Ecklons, and they are a race of insect people.

Racial Traits:
(Pulo)
*-2 Dexterity, +4 Armor Class.
*As medium sized creatures, Ecklons do not recieve any penalties or bonuses due to their size.
*An Ecklon's base land speed is thirty feet.
*Compound Vision: Ecklons see the world in a different way, due to their compound eyes. In fact, Pulo Ecklons see the world a bit differently than Doronn Ecklons. Pulo Ecklons have smaller eyes, which don't appear to be compound eyes, even though they are. Pulo Ecklons have a black shell covering their millions of ommatidia. The vast amount of ommatidia alows them to see just as much detail as a human could. The shell processes sunlight so that the eye can percieve it. Pulo Ecklons, however, can not percieve color. They see in black and white, regardless of the amount of light shed upon the area of viewing. They can see up to the same distance as humans, however, with the same amount of clarity. Because of their inability to percieve color, Pulo Ecklons recieve a -2 penalty to spot and search.
*Exoskeleton: Ecklons muscles, organs, and other tissues are protected by a series of shells which make up the exoskeleton. This exoskeleton can resist harsh temperatures that could damage skin, and they allow Ecklons to ignore pain. Ecklons can survive comfortably in areas up to 200 degrees, and as low as 0 degrees without clothing. They are also immune to pain, the way we know it. Their nerves report damages to their brains, but instead of physically feeling the pain, they are stricken with panic that is appropriate for the level of damage. If an Ecklon comes to below ten percent of his or her hit points, he recieves a -4 penalty to each of his saves, as well as his or her base attack bonus. To avoid this, the Ecklon may make a Concentration check each turn of twenty. For each turn that they reach or surpass twenty, they are unaffected. However, although this causes panic, it also prevents it. Those who attempt to intimidate Ecklons must roll a number that is equal to or greater than 10+ the Ecklons Will Save+ The Ecklons Level. This is also in effect when dealing with creatures who have a fear aura or ability. The Ecklon uses his Will Save, and his level in his defense. However, the exoskeleton accounts for an Ecklon's dexterity penalty. Although they aren't very flexible or agile, Ecklons do gain a bonus to their armor class. Due to their exoskeletons, Ecklons gain a natural +4 bonus when defending against the grapple check of a creature who is attempting to constrict it.
*Weak Eardrums: Ecklons have eardrums that are less effective than human eardrums, or the eardrums of other races, resulting in a -2 to listen.
*Climbing: Ecklons have hooks and hairs on their palms and feet that allow them to stick to surfaces the same way a spider would. They may use spiderclimb at will (20 ft.), provided they use their hands and feet. While climbing, an Ecklon recieves a -4 penalty to his armor class, because his back would be turned to attackers.
*Aging: Ecklons reach physical maturity and adult height at five years old, however they are still mentally five years old. Hatchlings grow from larvae to pre-teen size in five months. Other than that, they age as humans.
*Languages: Ecklish, Common. Ecklons begin the game unable to read common, unless they have at least 15 intelligence.
*Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Pulo Ecklon suffers an experience point penalty, his highest-level class does not count.
(Doronn)
*+2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, +4 Armor Class.
*As medium sized creatures, Ecklons do not recieve any penalties or bonuses due to their size.
*An Ecklon's base land speed is thirty feet.
*Compound Vision: Ecklons see the world in a different way, due to their compound eyes. In fact, Pulo Ecklons see the world a bit differently than Doronn Ecklons. Doronn Ecklons have larger eyes, with fewer and more apparent ommatidia. This means that not only do they see in black and white, like the Ecklons of the Pulo hive, their vision is distorted. Through their eyes, the world around them seems pixelated, as if the world is wrapped up inside of a blurry grid. Because of their inability to percieve color, and their inability to distinguish details, Doronn Ecklons recieve a -6 penalty to spot and search.
*Exoskeleton: Ecklons muscles, organs, and other tissues are protected by a series of shells which make up the exoskeleton. This exoskeleton can resist harsh temperatures that could damage skin, and they allow Ecklons to ignore pain. Ecklons can survive comfortably in areas up to 200 degrees, and as low as 0 degrees without clothing. They are also immune to pain, the way we know it. Their nerves report damages to their brains, but instead of physically feeling the pain, they are stricken with panic that is appropriate for the level of damage. If an Ecklon comes to below ten percent of his or her hit points, he recieves a -4 penalty to each of his saves, as well as his or her base attack bonus. To avoid this, the Ecklon may make a Concentration check each turn of twenty. For each turn that they reach or surpass twenty, they are unaffected. However, although this causes panic, it also prevents it. Those who attempt to intimidate Ecklons must roll a number that is equal to or greater than 10+ the Ecklons Will Save+ The Ecklons Level. This is also in effect when dealing with creatures who have a fear aura or ability. The Ecklon uses his Will Save, and his level in his defense. However, the exoskeleton accounts for an Ecklon's dexterity penalty. Although they aren't very flexible or agile, Ecklons do gain a bonus to their armor class. Due to their exoskeletons, Ecklons gain a natural +4 bonus when defending against the grapple check of a creature who is attempting to constrict it. Unlike Pulo Ecklons, Ecklons of the Doronn hive have larger exoskeletons, especially in their arms, chests and legs. This extra amount of room allows the Doronn Ecklons to build muscle with ease and without discomfort, resulting in a breed of Ecklons physically stronger than that of the Pulo hive.
*Weak Eardrums: Ecklons have eardrums that are less effective than human eardrums, or the eardrums of other races, resulting in a -2 to listen.
*Climbing: Ecklons have hooks and hairs on their palms and feet that allow them to stick to surfaces the same way a spider would. They may use spiderclimb at will (20 ft.), provided they use their hands and feet. While climbing, an Ecklon recieves a -4 penalty to his armor class, because his back would be turned to attackers.
*Aging: Ecklons reach physical maturity and adult height at five years old, however they are still mentally five years old. Hatchlings grow from larvae to pre-teen size in five months. Other than that, they age as humans.
*Languages: Ecklish, Common. Ecklons begin the game unable to read common, unless they have at least 15 intelligence.
Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass Doronn Ecklon’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he suffers an experience point penalty

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You probably want to post this in the "D&D Legacy Forum" rather than this subforum. This area is really for conversions of old adventures.

Remove ads