Themes

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Why do we need a default theme out of curiosity? It's really like anything else. If the player has access (book, .pdf, compendium, etc.) to the approved game element (power, feat, magic item, class, race, background, etc.), then the player can take it. If the player does not have access and wants something, then he has to figure out a way to get it (i.e. a friend, cut and paste out of another PC, etc.). We don't have a default background, or race, or class, or any other default game element.

Well, it's not quite the same. If I don't have a DDI subscription, it's not that I don't get as many feats as someone else; I just get a smaller selection to choose from. Anyway, I'm not convinced a default theme is necessary, but if we must have one, let's just have one.

Will the themes from Neverwinter get auto-approved next month? (the book releases on August 16 IIRC).

It probably depends on how FR-specific they actually are. The Dark Sun ones were strongly associated with Dark Sun, but FR is pretty generic to start with. So if they're like "Thayan Renegade" then they'll probably end up being banned, but if they're more like "Dwarf Mountain-Lover" then that's probably fine.

I haven't seen or heard anything about them, though, so maybe it's common knowledge that they're on the level of Thayan Renegade.

twilsemail

First Post
Where does the Swordmage sit in the "FR specific classes" category? Where will the Bladesinger lie?

I think the only truly FR specific Class is the pseudo-class "Spellscarred."

renau1g

First Post
Swordmage is allowed, I believe Bladesinger will too but can't confirm until I see it. I believe Spellscarred is the only FR spefici class, and we tweaked Dark Pact

Luinnar

First Post
Here is the preview of the themes from one of the game days (scroll to the bottom). Wizards also announced at Gencon that in Setember and Octtober they were going to have Kara Tur Oriental themes in Dragon.

I understand some of them not fitting thematically in Eberron. I know there are not the Red Wizards or Harpers, but as a player I like to have as many options on the table as possible. So it would be nice to re-flavor as many as possible.

By the way, here is the Gencon Bladesinger preview. I have not read the fluff yet but there is nothing setting specific crunch-wise. (I don't have Neverwinter yet by the way)

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
I believe the themes are a bit more general (outside of maybe the Thay, Bregan D'earthe (spelling) and Harper Agent.

Here's the list.

Theme Description Class Prerequisite Race Prerequisite
Neverwinter noble A true heir to Neverwinter -- Human <- easily reflavored, but there already is a noble them right?
Oghma’s faithful Gifted with divine visions -- -- reflavor to appropriate Eberron diety
Harper agent A betrayed Harper trying to win the trust of the organization -- -- Probably best to remove, I don't think the harpers fit well in Eberron's shades of grey
Dead Rat deserter A former thieves’ guild member -- Human, half-elf, or halfling <- should be fine
Iliyanbruen guardian An eladrin returned from Faerie -- Eladrin <- no idea
Uthgardt barbarian A savage warrior seeking revenge -- Human <- this might fit well as Argonnessen or perhaps the halfings?
Pack outcast Cast out of a pack of werewolves -- Human or shifter <- I'm sure there is use for this considering shifters originated from Eberron right?
Heir of Delzoun Blood relative of ancient dwarf kings -- Dwarf <- I think easily changed
Renegade Red Wizard A Red Wizard no longer in service to Thay Wizard (mage) -- I think this should probably be disalloed, not really sure what other group would fit this one (actually I think this theme is pretty bad altogether, a Red Wizard used to be a PrC and you had to attain that, now you can say "oh, I used to totally be a Red wizard, but I gave it up" silly)
Scion of shadow A noble of Netheril who has abandoned that land -- Human, shadar-kai, or shade <- hmmm...not sure how shadar-kai are treated in Eberron, nor shades, didn't read the Shadowfell part of the ECS and don't have it with me.
Devil’s pawn Marked by infernal powers -- -- <- this should be fine
Spellscarred harbinger Scarred by the Spellplague -- -- pretty FR specific
Bregan D’aerthe spy A drow mercenary -- Drow <- Drow are a bit different here, this might actually be better for gnomes/Zilargo they're more the spies here IIRC

I guess that's it. Most seem like they could work, but I'd like to see all of them first.

Luinnar

First Post
I was wondering if the Neverwinter themes would be auto-approved, or if not since they are from a FR guide? I wanted to add the Pack Outcast to me Druid.

Thanks

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I kind of view it this way.

FR backgrounds and FR specific feats are not allowed.

DS themes are not allowed.

I kind of think that the FR themes should go the way of the DS themes, just because a few of us are on the fence for themes anyway.

I'm kind of for generic themes and Eberron specific themes if they ever show up, but not FR or DS ones, and having special exceptions and re-skinning them doesn't seem to make sense.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases