D&D 4E Is Paragon Tier the "sweet spot" of 4E? And other ruminations on the tiers

Mercurius

Legend
S'mon's thread got me thinking about tiers and I wanted to explore some ideas, including the question of a "sweet spot" in 4E. In 3.x it was generally considered to be levels 7-12, or thereabouts; previous editions were similar, with different groups preferring different spans, but the most common perspective being mid-levels, or anywhere in the 5-15 range. One of the design considerations for 4E was to widen the sweet spot so that, in theory at least, the entire 30-level range was equally sweet.

Now I personally have only experienced the first 12 levels, so I can't say much beyond early Paragon tier, but so far the verdict is that Paragon tier as a whole is the sweet spot of 4E, imo. Heroic tier was just fine, but Paragon tier is better and, from what I've heard, Epic tier has a whole slew of problems, mainly centered on the lack of support from WotC and, I would imagine, the bottle-necking of possibilities the higher level the party becomes.

I'm a teacher at a relatively unorthodox private high school. One of the benefits of working here is that I get to design my own courses (or at least have the opportunity to do so; most teachers don't stray too far from the typical fare). One of the things I quickly realized is that to know how to design and teach a course, I first need to at least one run through it, a "trial run" so to speak. For instance, my "baby" is a little class called World Building which I taught to a group of fifteen juniors and seniors in the winter. I taught it in a very loose, studio-like manner - I would talk for about 10 minutes and then let them work independently, with me roaming around helping them. A bit further than halfway through the ten-week course I realized that this didn't work all that well for most high school students - as a general rule, they need more form, more guidance. But it was kind of too late at that point, so I just went with it and decided to build in more structure for next time around (next school year).

I bring this up because it is similar to my experience with 4E's tiers and echoes the feeling I had after we completed Heroic tier: I thought, "Now that we've finished that I feel like I could actually DM Heroic tier." But then, of course, we were on to Paragon tier and we're all happy to be playing Paragon characters (I am now a player, with someone else DMing for the time being). It is, I would say, more fun than Heroic.

The three-tier system has immense potential; each is distinct, but they flow together nicely, not unlike a well-written trilogy in which each book could stand alone but should lead into the other. The tiers could even be expanded upon with an earlier "Apprentice" tier and a later "Immortal" tier. But regardless, the heart of the whole system - whether the current three tiers or an expanded five - is Paragon. In Paragon tier, PCs have more options, powers, and are able to do more dynamic actions than in Heroic tier, yet they are not yet super-complex. Monsters and other challenges also start becoming more interesting, and the array of potential adventures becomes more varied, from more involved Heroic-style campaigns to Underdark delving to planar exploration.

S'mon and I both agreed that we'd like to see more guidelines from WotC or 3PPs that exploit the three-tier system; S'mon wants more single-tier campaign guidelines, I would like to see more guidelines and examples of how the tiers can relate to each other, with campaign arcs spanning all three tiers.

There are many ways that you could respond to this thread, but I'd like to see what others say about whether Paragon is the sweet spot of 4E and, if it is not, what is, as well as discussion about the three tiers and how to make a campaign arc over the entire span.

Aegeri

First Post
Epic tier suffers for several reasons, but none are mechanical in nature anymore - though in saying this you don't want to start in epic tier off the bat or really suffer the consequences (as it is mechanically overwhelming if you don't build up to it).

There are two primary problems with epic tier, both of them are problems that Wizards could and should readily solve.

1) Not enough epic monsters. I've ranted about this before, but Wizards seem to have entirely abandoned the concept of supporting epic tier monsters (Monster Vault had 13 and Threats to the Nentir vale has an astounding zero monsters). Most importantly, we need monsters that aren't elementals and particularly that aren't demons. There are plenty of demons and plenty of very well designed demons. What we need are more monsters designed to fit into epic tier from the beginning, which cover different groups like fey, aberrations (they are oddly underrepresented), expanding devils/angels (though there are a good start on these compared to fey), magical beasts and such forth.

Ancient dragons would be nice as well.

2) Not enough epic adventures. This is the killer: There is nothing to go on except the handful of epic scales of war and H1-H3 adventures. Unfortunately both predate MM3 and so have numerous gaping mechanical design flaws. They also reflect where wizards didn't really seem to "get" epic tier at all. Essentially they are gigantic linear dungeon crawls, without the set up and dramatic stakes that epic tier SHOULD have - except for a few battles (Namely the capstone encounters of both campaigns).

There are other problems, but those two are the most insurmountable. Having run a lot of epic tier, I can tell you that work goes up exponentially from paragon to epic. You need to make most of your own monsters, traps and there is stuff all for adventures to choose from. I mean if Wizards wonder why everyone doesn't play epic tier, it's their own lack of support that entirely kills it.

Personally I would fix it in this order:

1) A DMG3 that covers the epic tier. How to write world threatening plots into the default world - don't force a DM to disconnect epic tier from the actual campaign world.

2) Actually SUPPORT epic tier. Monsters is the easiest and most effective way to do this.

3) Release adventures that actually take advantage of the strengths available in epic tier.

IMO there is no "Sweet spot" in 4E because all three tiers work fine - especially now damage was increased (paragon and epic were equally as bad to run when monsters damage was between cat scratch and slight laceration in terms of effect). The difference is the amount of work you need to put into epic is disproportionally higher to heroic and paragon.

aco175

Legend
the 2 campaigns we have going right now have parties if lev16 and lev10, 16 being the highest we have gotten so far. Half the players thik Paragon is cooler than Heroic, these being the power gamers. the other half like levels5-10 better. I think some of this is that the pc's can still be local heroes and the monsters are still the same ones you grew up with, orcs and goblins, ogres and such.

From the DM perspective, I like the transition between the two tiers. I have been trying to make something cool happen for each party story related. The first party rescued the Dukes son from the yuan-yi using the underground portal to sneak into the city. This led to them discovering the Duchy on the other side of the mountain was in revolt with the death knights ruling them. I'm trying to have a great battle with the final death knight or the general lich overlord be the transition to epic tier.

the other party is right on the verge to paragon and they are trying to get the missing king's sword reforged in time to make it to the great battle mentioned above. They are in the ruined temple of Ioun and need to find the pool of creation to mend it. Funny, nobody mentioned a Mend spell.

Mengu

First Post
The answer will change from person to person, and group to group.

I think level 6 is an excellent level. 2 encounter powers plus a racial encounter power, 2 daily powers, 2 utility powers, and 4 feats round out a fairly well defined character. The character sheet is a manageable size. Monster hit points haven't gone bonkers yet so we don't need to cheese out damage to keep up. The difference between optimized and non-optimized is not too great. Feat repertoire can be ruined by expertise feats, superior weapons/implements, and the like, but once you hand those out free, I just love level 6.

Level 3 is nice for one shots with pre-generated characters. 2 feats, 2 encounter powers, 1 daily, 1 utility, and a couple magic items make you interesting enough and simple enough.

Levels 12-16 are great for a veteran group that likes the tactical aspects of the game. But the character sheets begin to look like a novella. So if you don't have a hard-core gamer group who memorizes their characters well, the waiting between turns for the casual monk player (who really just wanted to play a simple ninja but didn't know what they were getting into) to flip through his 43 powers and items for each of his 3 actions (minor, move, standard) is yawn worthy. I feel high level D&D is not for the casual roleplayer.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think 6 to 16 is the sweet spot.

A lot of abilities, and the insane stuff has not really started yet.

I think epic needs a total rethink. The problem I se with epic is that there are too few creatures, and too many of those that are there are solely concerned with destruction, which begs the question, "Why han't they destroyed everything already?"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...increasing Epic Tier support could probably be aided by "going back to the future" a little- someone at WotC should dust off the Primal Order books and look at how that capsystem looked at divinity...just for a little inspiration, at least.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
For me, 4e started breaking down at around 12th level. The Paragon and Epic games I've played and DMed in were all slogs.

IMO, right now Paragon and Epic tiers are simply higher level versions of Heroic tier, with combats that take too long. I think more monsters and adventures might help, but I think the problems with Paragon and Epic more fundamental than that.

Last edited:

Abraxas

Explorer
In my experience paragon is the sweet spot.
The heroic tier is fun - but the paragon paths are much more flavorful and overall more entertaining.

Epic has just been a bore and a chore for two major reasons
1 - too many freaking things to keep track of
2 - too many creatures that just shut down character's abilities or have Eff You powers.

The second issue is the one I find particularly annoying. The new creature designs nullify certain "problem" conditions and/or have auras/free actions/minor actions that just screw the PCs, making going nova the only really good strategy and making interesting but less damaging powers not worth taking. This has affected my play experience so much that I am really thinking about quitting the game.

Mercurius

Legend
It sounds like the ideal 4E campaign would be from 1st to maybe a bit past 20th level, perhaps culminating with a final adventure in the 20-22nd range: enough of Epic tier so you get an Epic Destiny, but not enough so things get out of hand.

Ideal for me, of course ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases