Sci-Fantasy, 'Crunchy Rules' System, Role-Playing and Story-Driven Game Soon on Kindl

Morterth the Role-Playing Game is coming soon to Kindle UK and Germany. Recycled from over thirty years of amateur game desiging, and under constant edit since March 2010, this game uses six-sided dice in a very innovative method and supplements many rolls and other things with card decks.

Morterth has twenty colorful species of sentients, including humanity, sharing a planet with a rich, unique, and drama and pathos strewn history. Magic has developed from the salvation of six species to the refugee world of Morterth raising psychic thresholds enormously. Four nearby sentient systems were also affected, and three of them are reachable by magical travel. Due to magical factions, many technologies have been supressed, but there are greatships, gliders, lightning rayguns, and robot companions to make your playing experience a little more than swords and sorcery or even the new steampunk genre.

It will be released in four stages, starting with character creation rules, as the final drafts are polished. The individal books will be on Kindle for $4.99 each. Following character creation will be the rules system, then the setting details, and finally the referee reference.

I will post back here when its up on Kindle UK and Germany. It will be released in the USA a bit later.

See you on Morterth!

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've changed the tag, because this is not published by EN Publishing. Unless I'm suffering from schizohrenia, which I don't think I am...

Update on Release Time

The final draft of the Morterth character creation book is mostly assembled and being crafted pretty seamlessly thanks to the year and four months of drafting the whole game so far. It might be done before August, but I'm wagering it will be next month before I can place it on Kindle UK and Germany.

The character creation system involves a process of determining your life prior to becoming an adventurer through card draws and sometimes dice rolls which give both the element of random determinations of one's environment and choices with each card or dice result. This method helps very much with illustrating the highly detailed setting by taking you through an interesting path of choices and events. The basic elements are yours to mold into a story in this very role-play aligned and entertaining system, and the modular nature of the table results make the five hundred or so paths of adventure one can travel along on during gameplay much easier to understand and assimilate.

I'm enthusiastically awaiting the day it is done, and I can place it proudly on Kindle. Just a few more sections and I'm done at last with the first of the four books!

September for Sure

Well, I had a bit of a hectic period with personal affairs that interfered with my production speed, but I came up with some cool improvements, as the interruption occurred after I made an early usable version of the tables that construct your character. Over the time I was unable to devote full focus to game design, I mulled over the characters I had made with the assembled character creation tables, and came up with some inspired concepts. I'm pretty sure the path is now clear, so I should have the first book ready around early or mid September.

The characters were cool, but they led to me streamlining my path/archetype/hero-class/motivation/background/knowledges system so that every character is very individualistic. I can no longer say there are over 500 paths however, as the six aforementioned elements are what define your character (in addition to species of course).

I also pumped up my combat system's armor vs. weapons and damage system, so action is faster thanks to easier number crunching, and more dramatic due to more range with damage integers.

You'll see it on Kindle UK and Germany soon, followed by the US intro. Hope you like it enough to buy a copy! Help a poor artist out willya? I'm wagering you won't regret it!

Hexsiege Boardgame on Kindle

The character creation book is still getting there. I've learned you can't pinpoint the ending of the drafting process. However, I've solidified all of the six components that make a character 'class' and the core defining one, called your character's 'path' has come to and end list of 208 in number, most of them very variable in their flavor, with different motivations, backgrounds, and knowledges; as well as being accentuated by their archetype-class and possible hero-class bonuses. Each character can end up with three 'levels': a 'path' level which is the number of paths wandered down; an archetype-class level, which is the number of paths in the archetype one's current traveled path is on; and a hero-class level, which is determined by the least number of paths in all the archetypes one possesses (though you need to have more than one archetype in your past experiences to be hero-class). There is a great deal of setting flavor, and the method of character generation shows you a view of the setting each time you make a character, as a starting adventurer is generated through the environment set by fate and the choices they have. There are berzerkers and swashbucklers; martial-arts style monks and dervish bladedancers; arcanist wizards and wild uncontrolled mages; magics of the blue moon and the darkness as well as the purity of positive action and the light of the absolute. Alien species live alongside humans and descendents of our culture before the great flood/bhagadaveda cataclysm of 10,000 B.C, when Harrapan had bronze and iron, Atlantis was split in twain, and Mu and Lemuria were real.

Until the first book on character creation is done, you can check out a small do-it-yourself two player strategic board game I put up for $2.99 called Hexsiege, which has some elements of my setting. It would help me lots as a struggling artist!​

Remove ads