[RCFG] Playtest

Raven Crowking

First Post
Yes, I also really like the 4e adventurer's pack. On simple buy to get all standard equipment in one simple purchase.

I'm fairly certain that some form of gear kits long predate 4e. I know that I have seen them elsewhere. Still, a good idea is a good idea.

I'll preselect equipment & start play no later than Monday.

RC

fireinthedust

Explorer
Which of these rules is accurate?

(PG 70) Limitations: A sorcerer can cast spells in armor,
but must make a Concentration check as a Reaction to
do so (DC 10 + spell level + Armour Check Penalty). If
this check fails, the spell is lost without effect.

(PG 71) If a sorcerer is wearing armor when casting a
spell, he or she must succeed in a Concentration
skill check (DC 15 + spell level + Armour Check
Penalty) or the spell is lost without effect.

Shouldn't it be DC10 + spell level - armour check penalty? Ie: Minus rather than Plus. It being a penalty and not a bonus.

Also: I like the use of blue for the tables. I'll have to look it over some more, but it's very old school. Have you been to self-printing places like blurb.com? (and others; no plugs here, just saying). My wife made a book there, and you've got a pdf you could get turned into a hardcopy book for yourself.
I'm working on my own stuff, and will be doing that shortly.

How did you get yours together, btw.?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Shouldn't it be DC10 + spell level - armour check penalty? Ie: Minus rather than Plus. It being a penalty and not a bonus.

Also: I like the use of blue for the tables. I'll have to look it over some more, but it's very old school. Have you been to self-printing places like blurb.com? (and others; no plugs here, just saying). My wife made a book there, and you've got a pdf you could get turned into a hardcopy book for yourself.
I'm working on my own stuff, and will be doing that shortly.

How did you get yours together, btw.?

Yes. The base is 10, then add modifiers.

I used Microsoft Publisher to create the pdf, with Adobe Acrobat Professional.

And a lot of hard work, mostly done during lunches. :cool:

RC

Redbadge

Explorer
[MENTION=18280]Raven Crowking[/MENTION]

Are hit points maximized at first level? If so, do I have 9 hit points due to my familiar?

Also, Summon Horror I requires 100 XP, of which I have 0 currently. But I did notice that I can sacrifice a sentient creature to apply 100XP to the casting of a spell. Is this accurate?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Are hit points maximized at first level? If so, do I have 9 hit points due to my familiar?

I actually rolled in this case.

I've been running the game both ways in playtests, seeing if max hp at first level are actually necessary. If you are uncomfortable with that, you may certainly have 9 hp.

Also, Summon Horror I requires 100 XP, of which I have 0 currently. But I did notice that I can sacrifice a sentient creature to apply 100XP to the casting of a spell. Is this accurate?

You certainly can!

Sharing XP Costs

The XP cost of any spell with an XP cost can be shared in one of two ways.

1. If the caster is in contact with a willing donor, that donor can pay half the XP cost. The caster can share the XP cost evenly with up to three other beings. If there is a remainder after the cost is divided, the caster must pay that cost.

2. If the caster sacrifices another creature as part of the spellcasting, the XP cost is reduced by 25 XP per HD for a non-sentient creature, or 100 XP per HD for a sentient creature. There is no limit to the number of creatures that can be sacrificed as part of a spell’s casting, but each creature increases the casting time by 1 round.

In some cases, a creature might be worth more than its normal value per HD. For example, an evil spell might grant double the XP cost reduction for the sacrifice of an innocent maiden, a child, or a unicorn. These special cases are at the GM’s discretion.​

Note also: "This loss does not make the caster lose a level, even if the XP loss would put him below his current level threshold. However, until the caster has regained enough XP to reach the level threshold of his current level, he cannot cast spells with an XP cost."

Finally, don't forget that you can squander treasure found for XP. That means that if you found a 100 gp gem, you could effectively use it as a component, burning up the gem as XP which then fuel the spell.

RC

EDIT: Btw, the regular playtest group thought it was monstrous of me to give you the Eldritch Horror spell source, but I thought it might be fun. If the character survives, and you take the Mathematical spell source next, you can greatly modify (or even eliminate) the chance of your horrors turning on you....Meaning that you can have all sorts of Lovecraftian fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases