101 Peasant Games

What sorts of games might peasants play that adventurers could become legendary at...

...and which might you need 4 ranks in "profession: farming" to not look like a fool?

Inspired by this post, and I'll use it as the first example:

I wanted the players to feel like they were beginning in a podunk, and the campaign began on festival, so I introduced them to a little something called "Pushcow." It is a competition to see how many feet you can bull rush a cow over three attempts. The first roll you can charge and get a bonus, the next two rolls are normal. A roll of 1 on any check means the cow turns and attacks.

It has never failed to amuse.

I can imagine the adventurer that threw the cow across the field...and in my group, the adventurer who was attacked by the cow, so he fireballed it.

Last edited:

AeroDm

First Post
The first time pushcow showed up, the half-giant barbarian rolled a 20, 18, 13 (or thereabouts) and the wannabe knight rolled a 1 on the charge. Both were pretty fun events.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
At rustic fairs all over the USA- and probably the world, just about- there are usually contests to catch a running rooster, or for more jocularity, a greased pig.

One thing becoming popular at rodeos is Bull Poker. You, along with other brave idiots...errr...souls sit in the center of an enclosure where a poker game is being played. Then they release a bull into the ring. The winner is the last man seated at the table...whether or not the table is actually still there is immaterial. This could be adapted to any "bar game" like blackjack, dominoes, or some fantasy equivalent.

Knife or Axe throwing is a popular event. And there are all kinds of logging-themed competitions: rolling, one man cutting, 2 man cutting, climbing.

Mud wrestling is famous.

Shin kicking is popular in some areas.

Chasing a wheel of cheese down a hill is popular in some locations, as is chasing a log down a moist, grassy hillside.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
7. "Pig wrassle" - Standard rope and hog-tie an animal event. Winner is the fastest to catch and tie (without killing!) the target calf, pig, etc. Event is best played in the mud.

8. "Chicken dunk" - Time event in which participants must grab chickens running amok and place them in a fixed basket. Also playable as a team sport. Add in one or two glamered cockatrices (Knowledge checks to tell the difference. In this ase, event is called "Rocky Horror Chicken Dunk".) for added hilarity. Event is best played in the mud.

9. "Bucking bull ride". Standard event in which riders of angry bulls, stallions, bullettes, etc, are timed on how long they can stay atop their mount. Event is best played in the mud.

10. "Night-light shoot". Bowman must shoot a lit lantern among a cluster of dancing lights at a distance. Mud is optional, but peasanats are more at home it it, so why not.

11. "Night-light shoot dodge". The peasant holding the lantern must dodge the arrows from the "night-light shoot" event.

12. "Scarecrow fashion show". Judged event in which the peasant ladies get to show off their apron sewing and sock-darning skills.

13. Chili cookoff.

14. Pie eating contest - A favorite of orcs.

15. "Arcane Barbeque" - In which magically skilled peasantry have 10 seconds to fully grill a live animal to tasty, smoky, golden perfection.

Last edited:

16. "The spilling bags [grandma friendly name, oh those peasants]": two sacks of animal feed are cut with shears, creating about equal holes. The contestant then runs with the heavy bags on his shoulders, trying to lose as little grain as possible, while being chased by a bevy of small animals (chickens, rabbits, squirrels, etc) who get underfoot and may trip him. The winner is the one with the fastest run or the most grain to be weighed at the finish line (regional difference).

Last edited:

RedTonic

First Post
Local fair favorite remains: climbing a pole that's greased partway up... Heh heh.

Then there's the perennial "throw gourds as far as you can," which gave rise to pumkin chunkin.

Remove ads