+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf

4e DM Cheat Sheet

I just put together a cheat sheet for our DM (and my future games). The idea behind it is, theoretically, you could run a game by the seat of your pants with just this sheet.

Enjoy! And I'd appreciate any feedback you have too.

LATEST UPDATE: 9/27/12
    * Added save bonuses to elites and solos
    * Added CA (combat advantage) notation to dying, petrified, and unconscious conditions

EDIT LOG

1/25/12
    * Fixed some niggling errors
    * Uploaded a landscape version

9/17/11
    Finally got around to adding some things I'd been meaning to:

* Improv: minion base damage is 4 + 1 per two levels (as near as I can tell)
    * DM Prep: abbreviated basic terrain types from DMG
    * Rules: rough hireling guidelines (~potion gp /day)
    * Plot: added cool benefits for skill challenges or for boosting milestones

7/25/11
    Big update! I added three extra "cheat sheets" to complement the improvisation one I originally posted. They're *almost* finished.

* DM Prep: overland travel, monster XP, treasure, magic item gp
    * Rules: skill DCs, prices, conditions
    * Plot: a bunch of stuff I find useful

6/28/11:
    * Added complications to the skill challenge section
    * Listed sources for information

To give credit where credit is due:

The "DC by level" table and the "Skill Challenge" table are wholesale from the Rules Compendium, with a couple additional advantages I wrote up.

The "Monster" table is based on the awesome MM3 on a business card over at SlyFlourish. The table on "updating pre-MM3 monsters" is just what I use for my own games based on the changes I observed in monster design.

The "Traps/Hazards" table is the skin and bones advice from Matthew Sernett's Trapped article in Dragon #366 .

The "Improvised Actions / Terrain Powers" table draws on DMG page 42 as well as Mark Monack's Tutorial: Terrain Powers article on the Wotc website.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Quickleaf; Saturday, 16th August, 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore SabreCat
    This looks nice! Can you provide links to the articles needed to use this? I don't really grasp the lower-leftmost table with the improvised action effects, for instance ('20' skill?).

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Alphastream
    Very cool! I like how you added the various bits like Advantages for skill challenges or Terrain by roles.

One thought is that DC by level for Skill challenges could shrink in size, providing more space for other information.
    Last edited by Alphastream; Tuesday, 28th June, 2011 at 04:16 AM.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Colmarr
    I'm a bit lost with some of the information.

What is the Terrain by type (eg. the entries for Twisty, Dense etc under Soldier and Brute) information meant to represent? Is it the sort of terrain these monsters favour, or is it a suggestion that you can use this type of terrain instead of a monster of that type?

As for the improvised actions, am I reading it correctly that (for example) at levels 1-9, it is appropriate to allow someone to cause a monster grant combat advantage as a standard action?

What about the 'shift' entry in the 'minor' column? Does that mean an improvised attack against a defence of level +3 as a minor action would allow the PC to shift at any level?
    I became a silver subscriber for . See why here.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreCat View Post
    This looks nice! Can you provide links to the articles needed to use this? I don't really grasp the lower-leftmost table with the improvised action effects, for instance ('20' skill?).
    Monack's article is over here: Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Tutorial: Terrain Powers)

'20' skill means take 20 on a skill.

The different colors are meant to represent how various effects require different action types according to tier (it's in the article). E.x. You could blind or weaken an enemy as a standard action at paragon tier; a similar effect is only a move action at epic tier. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphastream View Post
    Very cool! I like how you added the various bits like Advantages for skill challenges or Terrain by roles.
    Yeah, I was thinking of adding a more involved monster section (a reverse side?) which would have monster role synergies & example power effects by level. That'll take me a little more time, and I'd need some other stuff to put there.

One thought is that DC by level for Skill challenges could shrink in size, providing more space for other information.
    Yeah, you're right.

I was thinking this could be a double-sided sheet, but I wasn't sure what I'd put on the reverse side... maybe encounter XP budgets by level?
    Last edited by Quickleaf; Sunday, 25th November, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmarr View Post
    I'm a bit lost with some of the information.
    Heh. I guess I can be a little obscure sometimes.

What is the Terrain by type (eg. the entries for Twisty, Dense etc under Soldier and Brute) information meant to represent? Is it the sort of terrain these monsters favour, or is it a suggestion that you can use this type of terrain instead of a monster of that type?
    It's terrain that complements these monsters, based on DMG page 62 "Terrain and Roles." It's an often overlooked section.

As for the improvised actions, am I reading it correctly that (for example) at levels 1-9, it is appropriate to allow someone to cause a monster grant combat advantage as a standard action?
    That's right. Of course, that's not *all* the terrain power would do, probably some damage or another effect.

What about the 'shift' entry in the 'minor' column? Does that mean an improvised attack against a defence of level +3 as a minor action would allow the PC to shift at any level?
    Yeah, though at paragon and epic I'd expect to see more effects than just shift 1 (making terrain powers is still more art than science). For example, a PC might be fighting in a flooding chamber, and as a piece of debris floats by the PC hydroplanes on it. DM says it's a melee attack vs. Reflex, if it succeeds the PC shifts 2 squares, but if it fails the PC falls prone.

Also if anyone has ideas on what information the reverse side might have I'd like to hear it.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Kzach
    I think you could get rid of the 'updating pre-MM3' monsters table altogether as a sheet like this is for when you're improvising, not when you've got tools at the table to draw on. Plus it would make room to add in the initiative modifiers for the various monster types.

I'm also a bit confused by the 'Damage' column on the Monsters table. Isn't damage what the terrain powers table is for (which also needs relabelling)?

Other than that, it's quite nice and saves me from doing it. Thanks.

As for a second page, it'd be nice to have price lists for things.
    Last edited by Kzach; Wednesday, 29th June, 2011 at 02:59 PM.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    I think you could get rid of the 'updating pre-MM3' monsters table altogether as a sheet like this is for when you're improvising, not when you've got tools at the table to draw on. Plus it would make room to add in the initiative modifiers for the various monster types.
    Ah thanks, I knew I was forgetting something.

I'm also a bit confused by the 'Damage' column on the Monsters table. Isn't damage what the terrain powers table is for (which also needs relabelling)?
    Not exactly. With the new monster math, monster damage has increased.

The "damage" column is average damage a monster of that level should deal on an at-will attack. So a 13th level monster should deal 20 damage on average with an at-will. Ex. A Meazel Strangler (13 controller) from MM3 deals 17 average damage with it's short sword, and a Derro Warrior (13 artillery) also from MM3 deals an average of 23 damage with its dagger and CA.

Compare this to the pg. 42 table Medium Normal Damage: 2d8+6 (an average of 15. If it were Limited Damage I would lean toward the High numbers, or Medium if it had other cool effects.

As for the relabeling bit, what's wrong with the name of the chart?

Other than that, it's quite nice and saves me from doing it. Thanks.
    Glad you'll get some use out of it!

As for a second page, it'd be nice to have price lists for things.
    Do you mean normal equipment like plate armor, thieves tools, inn rooms, warhorses, etc?

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Kzach
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickleaf View Post
    Compare this to the pg. 42 table Medium Normal Damage: 2d8+6 (an average of 15. If it were Limited Damage I would lean toward the High numbers, or Medium if it had other cool effects.
    Err... then I'm confused as to what purpose the improvised actions/terrain powers table serves? I thought this table was a catch-all for monsters, traps, etc. if it's outdated, shouldn't it be updated to the MM3 math? In which case, what purpose would the Damage entry serve in Monsters table?

As for the relabeling bit, what's wrong with the name of the chart?
    Well, I had thought it was a catch-all damage matrix, which would mean it's not just improvised actions/terrain powers and so should be labelled to reflect it's purpose. Then again, if it doesn't serve that purpose, it doesn't need to be relabelled.

Do you mean normal equipment like plate armor, thieves tools, inn rooms, warhorses, etc?
    Yeah, and magic item math, masterwork items, treasure parcel math, etc.

I see using a sheet like this to improvise the running of a game so I'm considering everything from the point of view of what I need at a glance to do that.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    @Kzach
    Well I haven't seen enough "new math" traps and such, but it does appear that monster damage (based on MM3 and MV) starts off close to average Normal Medium damage, but quickly gets higher as monsters level. Hence my 13th level example. So it seems that monster at-will attacks deal more damage than ongoing traps /improvised actions/terrain powers.

By the way, thanks for your input! I'll plan on putting in item costs, treasure parcels, and such on the reverse side.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast