D&D 4E 4e DM Cheat Sheet

Quickleaf

Legend
Where do you draw that line?

Would traps/hazards be on the fly? Monster math? Encounter templates? What about skill challenges?

Rune

Once A Fool
Where do you draw that line?

Would traps/hazards be on the fly? Monster math? Encounter templates? What about skill challenges?

Ideally, if I'm running a session on the fly, I don't have to have any books. So, yes, I'd need some baseline stats for monsters-by-role. Not so much traps (they're a lot easier to fake). Encounter templates? Nah, That can be pretty easily concocted, also.

TheClone

First Post
This is great stuff. Thank you! Always though about doing it myself. One thing which would make me hit the print button this second would be to have it fit for this screen: Strange Magic: New DIY DM Screen Maybe someone has the time before I have.

I'd also love a compact summary of the conditions and skill DCs as found in the skill descriptions. I'd put that on a second page, I think. The first page is perfect as it is. Call it "improvising page", the second one would be "for the forgetful". And since it especially the conditions are also a player thing, it would be a good fit for the player side of a DM screen. Unfortunately the rules compendium has a rather non-compact way of writing the conditions, so one can't use that.

Quickleaf

Legend
FWIW I'm taking a stab at page 2 but don't have my RC with me, just a PDF of the PHB. Enough acronyms for you?

Have there been manor changes to built in skill DCs (not generic DCs) since the PHB?

What about conditions?

TheClone

First Post
FWIW I'm taking a stab at page 2 but don't have my RC with me, just a PDF of the PHB. Enough acronyms for you?

Have there been manor changes to built in skill DCs (not generic DCs) since the PHB?

What about conditions?

Dominated has changed. It's a little more simplified. While dominated you can do at-wills and only a standard action. I think before you were able to do more. I think more actions.

Alphastream

Adventurer
For me, writing adventures, it would be the XP of monsters and encounter by level. After that, it would be a list of all skills and associated monster knowledges.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have modified the cheat sheet a little and printed it fitting into a two jewel case DM screen. Here's the link: http://www.herzliches-rollenspiel.de/herzlich_data/JewelCaseDMScreen.pdf

Have to find something for the side parts and the empty space yet. Candidates are conditions (also for the player side), exploration speed, light sources, monster origin/skill table and languages until now. Have to see what fits, though. Any further ideas?
Neat! I am working on additional pages including "Rules at a Glance" and "Encounter Building" plus a little surprise. Should have those up over this weekend.

If you're shooting for a real DM screen then conditions, skill DCs, action economy, breaking things, fall severity, grab rules, environmental dangers... I personally like the exploration/overland travel tables but not everyone might agree.

For me, writing adventures, it would be the XP of monsters and encounter by level. After that, it would be a list of all skills and associated monster knowledges.
I'm incorporating this into the "Encounter Buildling" page along with sample monsters and powers by level, plus some really cool encounter templates.

Speaking of which there was this great thread on "homebrew" encounter templates but I'm havin difficulty tracking it down.

Quickleaf

Legend
May I ask how you did the formatting to make it so closely match the actual printed books?
Welcome to ENWorld, Lexeme.

I just eyeballed it in Word with the stylized tables, imbedded in text boxes to get the layout right. Specifically, the colors I use are Dark Red RGB (128, 0, 0) for the column headings, the darker olive/gray rows are RGB (198, 218, 154), and the lighter rows are RGB (236, 241, 223). The font is Calibri.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases