+ Log in or register to post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by DM Magic View Post
    @Quickleaf, I'd love to use your sheet for making terrain powers. However, though I've read the article by Mark Monack, I'm not sure I understand how to use your sheet to do it on the fly.

Can you come up with two or three examples, maybe at various levels, of how you'd do it using your sheet? Maybe then my brain will get to working and I'll see how to do it on my own.

Sure. It's more about feel than some 100% accurate system.

Heroic tier. Let's say there are floating magic lanterns at night as the PCs fight off a nasty lurker who has them pinned in a dead-end alley. Wizard says "Can I magnify their light output and move them around?" So the terrain power is doing 2 things: effectively eliminating concealment (like -2 defenses, standard action) and moving the light sources around (minor action); however it deals no damage. You might rule it's a standard action Arcana check with the DC reached determining how many lanterns the wizard can move / how far he can move them.

Paragon tier. Fighter is down to a handful of hit points against an archfey who affected him with massive punishment if he attacks her. He has been the only one who can hit her very high AC. However, the archfey draws power from magic mirrors in the chamber. He asks if he can shatter one of the mirrors to reduce her Will defense in preparation for a Will targeting uber-debuff an ally is about to cast. Since he's 12th level the -2 defense requires a move action (instead of standard action in heroic tier). But the fighter wants to deal damage too; since it's a single target attack that could conceivably be repeated (there are other mirrors) it would deal normal medium damage. DM comes up with this: choose a mirror & Make a standard action attack vs. Mirror, and if it destroys mirror's HP, the archfey suffers -2 Will until the end of her next turn and takes 1d8+5 psychic damage. However if the fighter chooses the right mirror the Will penalty is -3 and damage is 2d6+5.

Epic tier. Rogue is holding off onslaught of exploding minions who are hard to hit because of a 50% displacement type power. She wants to use some magic dust to impose -2 AC (actually -10% miss chance) to a pack of them; at epic tier it would be a minor action - except she wants to effect a close blast 3 instead of one creature. No damage. The DM rules it's a move action attack vs. Reflex that bypasses displacement.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    A quick post so that everyone can find this thread.

I'll be posting another update over the winter holiday, so if you'd like to see any changes let me know.

So far I'm planning to:
    * correct prone condition to include defense bonus vs ranged
    * revise monster knowledge check DCs to be in line with Rules Compendium
    * on the "Updating Old Monsters" table include under artillery monsters "Increase accuracy by 1 or 2 for ranged or area attacks."
    * replace the outdated treasure table with....something
    Last edited by Quickleaf; Tuesday, 20th December, 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore cattar
    Really great stuff. I really appreciate the effort put in to this. I don't think there is room to add this in, but one possible addition could be something like random dungeon generation tables (room types, exits, occupied or not).

Maybe swap out the treasure table with the total value of items and gold each character should have by level? If you did an additional column of how this would translate under intrinsic bonus rules, I'd be super happy!

Ferghis - I don't think you need a table for that. A character should have a magic item of their level, one +1 and one -1, plus gold of one item of their level.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferghis View Post
    Maybe swap out the treasure table with the total value of items and gold each character should have by level? If you did an additional column of how this would translate under intrinsic bonus rules, I'd be super happy!
    I'm not sure I see where you think you're trying to come from.

The intrinsic bonuses look like this:
    +1 attack and damage @ Levels 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27
    +1 AC, Fortitude, Reflex, Will @ Levels 4, 9, 14, 19, 29

Do you mean that at level 7, for example, a PC would be expected to have a +2 weapon/implement and a +1 neck slot item?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore op1983
    Any chance we can get a landscape version?

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by op1983 View Post
    Any chance we can get a landscape version?
    Yeah I can do that over the holidays. Are you planning on using it as a DM screen insert?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore op1983
    My wife is getting me the worlds greatest dm screen landscape for christmas. I have the official screens, but they just don't work for me. This will definitely do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickleaf View Post
    Do you mean that at level 7, for example, a PC would be expected to have a +2 weapon/implement and a +1 neck slot item?
    No. I'm not talking about the actual intrinsic bonuses rule, but how it affects the amount of treasure that PCs should get. If you're getting the bonuses for free, the DM has a different level of obligation, in terms of treasure and monetary rewards.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast