Gears of Revolution: Notes on my campaign

Falkus

Explorer
I deviated from the module's script a little by putting menacing shapes in the water behind the PCs when they came across Burton pinned in the sea tunnel, but the added pressure worked wonders. The players seemed genuinely torn between their desire to save Burton and their duty to head into the cave as quickly as possible

Ooooh, I like that. Mind if I borrow that for my group? I just got them through Act I; and we're doing the infiltration of Axis Island in two weeks.

Colmarr

First Post
Session 5

Session Summary:

After subduing the Danoran mine foreman, Tok and Erik set about learning what he knew while Cassi guarded the passage and Thornt and Wilheim moved the injured Burton to higher ground.

The Danoran explained that he had been hiding in the mine since the Duchess' forces invaded and had fired on RT3 because he heard them whispering in Risuri. Erik called him on that lie (he and Tok hadn't spoken as they entered the sea cave) and the Danoran reluctantly revealed two large gold coins on a thong around his neck. He explained that one of them allowed him to see in the dark, and surrendered the coins to RT3.

Having hauled Burton carefully up the ladders to the mine landing itself, Thornt and Wilheim joined the conversation. When asked whether he had seen anything before the tunnel collapsed, the goblin rogue replied that he had seen everything. For a moment he had imagined himself in a strange swamp, under a blue sun, surrounded yellow frogs. Then the ceiling collapsed, killing Seven Foot Dan, Talya and Letmas.

While the investigators recovered their breath, Tok examined the Danoran's coins and another coin standing on a nearby stone pillar. Each one was covered with images, and Tok identified them as representative of Nem (the plane of shadow), Urim (the plane of earth) and Avilona (the plane of air). Tok slung the icon of Nem around his neck, and by consensus Cassi took the icon of Urim and Wilheim took the icon of Avilona. Then RT3 left Burton to guard the trussed up mine foreman. The goblin wished them well, and passed on knowledge of a weak spot in the fortress wall.

Emerging from the mine on the side of a mountain range, they journey north up and over the peaks, from which they could see Axis fortress in the distance. While travelling down the northern face, they encountered a spontaneous blast of flame that seemed to have no cause or impact point. Pressing on, they crossed paths with a huge, headless, iron golem leaking a strange oil. The construct seemed to sense Cassi and Tok in their hiding spots, but then ambled past them. After it had passed, Tok, used Thornt's empty potion vial to collect a sample of the oil. Strange white motes of light floated within it.

Finally reaching the road, RT3 made good time toward the fortress, only to suddenly find themselves in a swamp, surrounded by yellow frogs and under a setting blue sun. As quickly as it appeared, the swamp was gone and RT3 were back on the road; the only proof of what had happened being Erik's still-wet shoes.

Sneaking to the wall, Tok read aloud the inscription from the first passwall scroll. The stones opened up, revealing a small passageway, but it was not long enough to breach the fortress wall. Aware that they only had one more chance, Erik, Thornt and Wilheim moved closer and loaned Tok their (untrained) aid. This time around - attempting the ritual a second time and with his companions assisting - the changeling performed the ritual flawlessly. The wall opened before them and RT3 were in the Axis fortress.

They moved as stealthily as possible around the town within. They soon came across a guarded warehouse, but chose not to risk discovery by investigating it before their mission was complete.

Pressing on to the lighthouse next to the sea gate, Tok and Erik attempted to bluff their way past the guards stationed there. The first patrolmen let them past, but as they approached the second, a voice called out from an upper window. "He's leaving wet footprints, you idiots! Intruders!"

Tok, Cassi, Thornt and Erik moved forward against the lighthouse's defenders, and as they moved Cassi invoked the power of the Icon of Urim to summon a wall of stone behind them, blocking the path of the defenders' dockside reinforcements. At the same time, Wilheim invoked the power of the Icon of Avilona and swept into the air. Bursting through the second floor window, the deva confronted the rebel wizard there. The surprised man crumpled under a flurry of blows and kicks (one-hit kill with Wilheim's Masterful Spiral daily!), even as his pet Fey Drake disappeared from view.

As Cassi's summoned wall faded, Erik rushed into the now-undefended lighthouse building and located the Sea Gate controls. Below him, the remaining dockside defenders rushed up the ramp, eager to join the fray.

The Good:

My players are really taken with the mystery and strange happenings on Axis Island. First the fate that befell the Slate infiltrators, then the odd pillars and Icons in the sea cave. Then they encountered the mysterious gout of flame, headless golem and reality shift on their way to the fortress. All of which put together seems to have driven home the message that Axis Island is a really weird place. It's very well-done atmosphere.

If I had wanted to drive home to them how dangerous the reality fluctuations could be (or if they were too healthy), I would have had the flame burst appear around them rather than 100 feet away :devil:

I was also quite surprised that they chose not to engage the headless golem. Given how they played in our previous campaign, I was sure that at least one of them would charge it the minute it appeared. Perhaps fortunately, he's now playing an infinitely squishier monk - so maybe discretion will prove the better part of valour in future.

They really surprised me a couple of times during the adventure:

1. Using the empty potion flask to take a sample of the gloom oil. It's good thinking and shows that they're interracting with the world as a world rather than just as a series of encounters. Now I just need to figure out what to tell them when they ask about it back in Flint (glances at calendar and calculates the days until Dying Skyseer is released).
  2. When their first Passwall ritual failed, they proposed moving to the end of the created passageway and casting the second ritual from that point (ie. extending the existing tunnel rather than creating a new one). That's pretty cool thinking IMO, and it was spoiled only by the fact that Passwall takes 10 minutes to cast but only lasts for 1. As it was, some applications of Aid Another carried the day.
  3. Cassi using the Golden Icon of Urim to throw a wall up behind them, effectively neutering the Rebel Soldier and a Patrolman for most of 2 turns. It was a quick and completely unexpected use of a new item, although not as quick and unexpected as:
  4. Wilheim using the Golden Icon of Avilona to fly up to the second level of the lighthouse and assault the Rebel wizard there. I probably would have been within my rights to ask for a bull rush to force the wizard back from the window, but it was just such a cool and reckless move that I gave it the green light. I didn't expect the ensuing daily power to one-hit kill the wizard and bloody the Fey Drake. Cripes!
The Bad:

The Docks map (like the Sea Cave map) is dominated by a very narrow chokepoint; in this case the narrow corner where the sea wall meets the lighthouse.

Fortunately, the ground floor-defenders consisted only of a few minions that were swept away with steel, fusil and spell, so it didn't prove to be an issue this session. When the combat continues next session, though, I fully expect the PCs to turtle behind Cassi in that area...

The Ugly:

When Tok studied the Golden Icons after the Dupiers interrogation, I cut and pasted the item text from the PDF into Maptool chat, including the bit that says "or if the Axis Seal is opened" I didn't realise what I'd done until Tok asked Dupiers if there were any seals or portals in the mine. *Groan*

Remind me to never again DM immediately after watching the Wallabies get drubbed by the All Blacks. I've just managed to give away an exceedingly early hint to the maguffin at the centre of the whole AP!

I'm hoping that duplicity or memory can save the day. Duplicity because I said I'd make some macros for the Icons and I plan to leave that text off. Memory because I'm hoping that by the time the Axis Seal is specifically mentioned in the campaign they will have forgotten all about my little boo boo.

Next session is probably next week. It could be the last session if they avoid the Hedge Maze encounter, but more probably they'll face Ghilli Du and then Asrabey the session after.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I've just managed to give away an exceedingly early hint to the maguffin at the centre of the whole AP!

Don't beat yourself up, it's an easy mistake to have made. To be honest (mild, very mild criticism here) I think it might have been best to leave that piece of information off the items entirely, and make a note in text intended only for the DM.

I scribbled an annotation in the margin reminding me not to print the items out, just in case I forgot, having noticed the mention of the Seal when reading through the adventure first time round.

By the way, your reports are excellent Colmarr. I keep meaning to write up my own, but never seem to get the time.

Ajar

Explorer
Wilheim using the Golden Icon of Avilona to fly up to the second level of the lighthouse and assault the Rebel wizard there. I probably would have been within my rights to ask for a bull rush to force the wizard back from the window, but it was just such a cool and reckless move that I gave it the green light. I didn't expect the ensuing daily power to one-hit kill the wizard and bloody the Fey Drake. Cripes!

Awesome. :D

Colmarr

First Post
Session 6: Invasion

Session Summary:

In the lighthouse, the rebel wizard’s trained fey drake disappeared from view, only to reappear and drive poisoned fangs into Wilheim’s shoulder. Sorely wounded, and with toxin coursing through his veins, the monk leapt back out the window and landed lightly beside Erik on the steps of the tower.

Downstairs, Erik prodded and pulled at the sea gate controls until he heard gears begin to grind in the lighthouse walls. The sea gate began to slowly swing open.

Tok moved back onto the sea wall to stop a fleeing patrolman, only to be blindsided by the rebel investigator moving up the ramp from the docked ship. The rebel’s fey magic blinded the changeling. Even afflicted, Tok’s trickery emerged as he feigned a misstep. The fleeing rebel saw a non-existent opening, abandoned his run for reinforcements and turned and fired.

Erik emerged from the lighthouse to see a rebel soldier laying into Thornt with his glaive. He grunted “oh no you don’t”, levelled his pistol and fired. The solder spasmed once, then collapsed lifeless.

With the soldier down, the investigator turned and fled. His patrolmen allies soon followed. In the silence that followed, ST3 could see lights moving on the outer fort walls and hear cries from the guards there. Obviously the rebels knew the sea gate was opening. A large group of soldiers began to mass at the end of the sea wall and move toward the lighthouse. Erik seized his chance and set of the pyrotechnics scroll to alert the Risuri fleet while Cassi layed into the control panel with her hammer.

Willheim, Cassi and Tok hastily erected a daunting barricade inside the lighthouse while Thornt and Erik moved around outside setting traps for the advancing rebels.

As the first wave approached, Tok slipped out of the lighthouse to circle around them. As Erik and Thornt attacked them from above, the bard sprung from his position of concealment and blasted two attackers with his magical song.

As the second wave rushed the tower, Erik, Thornt and Tok slid from the lighthouse window on ropes to repair their barricades and traps. Again Tok’s magic proved beneficial, subduing three of the soldiers before they could advance. But then the Risuri investigators were caught by the attackers, trading blows and spell with them until the last of the attackers fell.

The third wave, larger than the others, almost breached the lighthouse itself. Only Wilheim’s and Cassi’s sterling work shifting furniture to make impromptu barricades prevented the rebels reaching the sea gate mechanism. Wilheim again leapt from the lighthouse window, smashing first one attacker and then another to the ground. Lightning and arrows rained from Thornt and Tok in the lighthouse.

Just as the last of the attackers fell, a last wave moved onto the sea wall. Simultaneously, the first of the Risuri warships sailed into Axis harbour. I’s first broadside shattered the ship docked against the sea wall. Shrapnel and cannonballs sliced through the new attackers. Another ship soon followed. The rebels retreated to the outer fort walls to prepare for the Risuri attack.

In the lighthouse, the near-exhausted members of ST3 caught their breath. Of the 5, only Cassi was still in good condition. Despite his injuries, Tok urged his companions to press on; to find Nathan Jierre. Erik disagreed, maintaining that their mission was not yet complete. Although the sea gate was open, ST3 were to stay put until relieved, and then help with the interrogation of prisoners and the duchess. Cassi nodded, ever-respectful of her sergeant. Then Thornt and Wilheim agreed, and the matter was settled.

Or so ST3 thought. While the others slumped down to rest or investigated the now-empty lighthouse, Tok slipped out the door into the now fire-lit night.

[Good, Bad and Ugly to come later - for now I'm off to bed!]

Rugult

On Call GM
Keep up the awesome updates Colmarr!

I'm actually in the process of getting my own Zeitgeist campaign started later this week, so reading things like this gives me plenty of inspiration and information for my own campaign!

Looking forward to seeing the Good/Bad/Ugly for this last update! :)

Colmarr

First Post
Session 6 (cont).

The Good

The rebel and investigator and rebel soldier both significantly outperformed their deceased wizard compatriot. The investigator landed a few good hits on Tok and the soldier landed a very good one indeed (11 points) on Thornt. Of course, he then got almost-one shotted by Erik*.

I'm not sure whether thieves are meant to be that good, but Erik's average hit is doing something like 20-25 points of damage, which is insane at level 1.

The other highpoint of the session for me was Wilheim repeating from the invisible fey drake in the tower. Despite knowing it was close to death (we play with visible hp bars), he knew that he himself was on 3 hp and taking 5 ongoing poison damage. If he failed to kill the drake and/or failed his save, then he was a long way from his companions on the ground. He chose to jump back out the window.

I was then left with the odd choice of what do with an invisible creature with 5 hp. It first ran down the stairs to the lower level expecting the PCs to open one of the doors. When no one did, I surmised that the fey drake was not able to open doors. So it returned upstairs, used its climb speed to clamber down the side of the tower, and attacked an unsuspecting Wilheim. I hit, but Tok had healed him in the meantime. The fey drake fell very shortly after :)

The Bad

Two of my players didn't quite get the abstractness of the lighthouse defence encounter, depsite me going out-of-character to explicitly explain it. They kept thinking about whether close powers would kill more enemies than melee attacks (no, I specifically said at-wills kill 1, encounters kill 2, etc) or that it would be cool to sneak around and ambush the attackers from behind (except they get a chance to act before they die and you're standing out in the open with them).

The other lowlight was that the group's defender spent almost the entire session sheltering behind walls or in the lighthouse. I think she made one attack the entire session, and spent the whole defence scenario building barricades. As a result, she was entirely ineffective in her role and absorbed no damage whatsoever. Now she is on 7 surges. Thornt is on 4. Tok is on 1 and Erik and William have 0.

The main problem appears to be that the player controlling the defender is much less aggressive than the players controlling everyone else.

I'm not sure how they're going to handle the rest of the module when so low on health. Hopefully they'll be able to circumvent Ghillie Dhu by questioning the prisoners in the brig, but they're in no condition to take on Asrabey (even the level 2 version that I've decided to use).

In a sense, that might be classified as a "Good" thing. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Erik's wife is pregnant, and I've been thinking of throwing him a curveball: that she promised the Unseen Court their firstborn in exchange for Erik's safe return from the Fourth Yerasol War. Asrabey, as a senior operative for the Court, knows that, and I intend to use it as a negotiating position during the confrontation in the keep.

If Erik and the others allow Asrabey to escape, they will have the Duchess' and/or Nathan's blood on their hands, they will have saved Erik's child, but they will have firmly entered the grey territory that Dying Skyseer makes so much of. If Nathan dies, Lya Jierre suddenly has a personal reason for joining the Obscurati, and if word of their involvement gets back to her then she has a reason to dislike the PCs.

If they refuse to let Asrabey leave (and survive the confrontation!), then Erik will need to put measures in place to protect his wife and unborn child from the impressive abilities of the Unseen Court.

Either way, the AP certainly heats up.

The Ugly

As Erik's player pointed out, the structure of the lighthouse defence encounter prejudices Essentials characters because they generally don't have encounter or daily powers.

I told him that Essentials builds generally swap nova ability for consistent long-term damage, and that the encounter as built is no worse in that regard than a normal encounter would have been.

He does have a point though, and if a similar encounter is planned later in the AP, some thought might need to be given to how (or whether) to provide for classes that don't have encounter or daily powers.

Next session is 13 November 2011, and gee if it isn't going to be a knife-edge.

*He was 5 hp from full before the hit landed.

Thanks for the commentary. I thought all the Essentials martial classes did at least have encounter powers in the form of Power Strike or Disrupting Shot or whatever. But it's a fair point, and I'll keep it in mind for future adventures.

I just recalled WotBS adventure 9, where the PCs are supposed to hold a gate against a marching column of soldiers, spellcasters on elephants, ogres, and their wyvern air support. I was trying to find a more elegant way to present such a scenario than grinding through HP for hours. Any suggestions on how to make it more engaging and easily-understood for players would help a lot.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases