City of Seven Sins - Repository

Dr Simon

Explorer
I was reading Gene Wolf's Book of the New Sun when I first came up with the idea for the game, so that informs it a bit, but Vance's Dying Earth, definitely. Warhammer 40K, I can see a touch of that, also maybe Dune. Although I've not read any of his works, it sounds a little like what I've heard of China Mieville's stuff too. Maybe a touch of Final Fantasy with "magic-tech" details. It's still in a very undeveloped stage yet, though, so as DrZombie says you can move it in a different direction.

It may be that your characters haven't interacted with anyone yet, but if you still aren't happy it's not a problem to change them.

WD - any particular objection to removing level limits for powers? I don't mind changing it to the RAW if you think it will be a tremendous problem as it was just a thought whilst I was coming to grips with the rules.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It could be, but I think it's more that I just don't care for the dynamic, nor do I want to do more 'fantasy' characters in a modern-esque system. I think I want to play someone fairly 'normal' for this one, but given that I'm not familiar with the source material (I haven't been able to watch Dune all the way through *ever* but I did enjoy the RTS computer game), it's making a new character design just as daunting.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Well, as such, there is no source material, merely some of the more evident influences. So really, it's a case of playing something that you'd like to play. Maybe Rudiger and Smoltt are (near-) human after all. There's nothing to say that a "goblin" in this setting means the same as standard fantasy, nor that you weren't just being metaphorical and he's really Steve Buscemi.

Walking Dad

First Post

WD - any particular objection to removing level limits for powers? I don't mind changing it to the RAW if you think it will be a tremendous problem as it was just a thought whilst I was coming to grips with the rules.

Some of the higher tier power are much more use-and powerful than the lower tier ones... but let's try it out your way :)

DrZombie

First Post
[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION] : no worries 'bout the delay, the ogre could have seen the Kinslayer charge and hold his fire out of fear for friendly fire.
Do you need help with the char creation crunch?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
OOC: [MENTION=15640]DrZombie[/MENTION]: I need to take some time to actually sit and learn the dang rules. Plus, I'm still not happy with the duo... I plotted to kill them both and have the "real" character snap into focus at the end of the round, once I decide what that is. I'm not at all familiar with any of the source material/influence, so I'm kinda plumb out of ideas.

Insight

Adventurer
[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION] I haven't read ANY of the novels and other sources the others have referenced and it hasn't affected me one bit. This is a collaborative effort and it doesn't matter what sources you know and don't know. The way I see it is that we are all contributing to the setting, using whatever inspiration we have. The only real guideline is that you don't destroy or step on the toes of someone else's creation. Make use of what other people have created and add your own flavor.

If you're not sure what to play, maybe take something from another player's background. There's no reason we can't know each other (in fact, it might help!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases