Escape DCs

the Jester

Legend
Is there an official word on how Escape DCs are set now? It's an element of monster creation that seems to have received "stealth errata" unless I have missed something.

Thanks!

Shroomy

Adventurer
I believe its normally a moderate DC for its level, though many grabby monsters have a built in bonus so the DC falls somewhere between the moderate and high DC for its level.

Ferghis

First Post
To escape a grab, you roll either an acrobatics against the monster's fortitude or an athletics against the monster's reflex, IIRC.

EDIT: Other way around: Acrobatics vs Reflex and Athletics vs Fort.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
To escape a grab, you roll either an acrobatics against the monster's fortitude or an athletics against the monster's reflex, IIRC.
That's the general rule, but WotC's been moving towards using Easy, Moderate, or Hard DCs of the monster's level, since those are already balanced properly for skill checks.

Checks against Defenses are kinda brokey.

-O

Ferghis

First Post
That's the general rule, but WotC's been moving towards using Easy, Moderate, or Hard DCs of the monster's level, since those are already balanced properly for skill checks.
Wow. I think that would be terrible for brawler fighters, who boost their Fort specifically to avoid escapes.

Checks against Defenses are kinda brokey.
Really? I hadn't noticed it in gameplay. Was some kind of number analysis done about this?

Spatula

Explorer
Wow. I think that would be terrible for brawler fighters, who boost their Fort specifically to avoid escapes.
It's a feature of newer monsters, not a change to how the normal grab rules work.

Really? I hadn't noticed it in gameplay. Was some kind of number analysis done about this?
It's the same problem as attack bonuses or Fort/Reflex/Will defenses not scaling as well as monster attacks & defenses do. Consider that a level 30 monster should have a Fort/Reflex of around 42. Your average level 30 wizard will have an escape bonus of +16, making the check impossible.

Ferghis

First Post
It's the same problem as attack bonuses or Fort/Reflex/Will defenses not scaling as well as monster attacks & defenses do. Consider that a level 30 monster should have a Fort/Reflex of around 42. Your average level 30 wizard will have an escape bonus of +16, making the check impossible.

Ah, I see. Still, I'm kinda okay with that, given the number of forced movement, daze, and stun powers available at that level.

Obryn

Hero
Well, it's the general progression of skill bonuses as opposed to every other bonus. :) The general skill DCs have been calculated specifically against skill bonuses.

-O

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm glad someone has asked about this. I've been a little confused when I've seen newer monsters that have attacks that read, "... and the target is grabbed (escape DC 15)," and the like. I understand how it works, but I don't remember seeing anything written by WotC that explains, "Hey guys, we're changing the way escaping from grabs works with certain newer monsters." I understand that it's monster-specific, but it's still a change that I would expect to be mentioned (maybe it has been and I just missed it).

[MENTION=40483]Ferghis[/MENTION]: And since this is just specific to certain monsters, it won't affect PCs. If you grab something the DC for an Athletics escape is your Fortitude and the DC for Acrobatics is your Reflex.

Remove ads