Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder outselling D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Mistress

First Post
I will just say this thread use to be interesting a number of pages ago. But sadly like all to many discussions it has turned into a edition war.

I will say one thing as it is a point that seems to be getting lost or forgotten. At no point did Lisa say Pathfinder was doing better, or as a game outselling 4e. All she said was that in the book distribution system that Pathfinder was doing better. Which doesn't take into account the DDI, direct sales by either company, or PDF's.

I personally find it very sad, that people have to snipe, belittle, and try and prove others wrong over a hobby in theory all of us love.

...As for everyone else, let the attacks continue.
I would appreciate it if you could respond to my post; I'll XP you in appreciation regardless of your position. You made me realise how eerily similar the phonics/whole reading debate was/is to the 3e/4e and perhaps in this may have found a parallel that could light a path to ending the whole mess that was the 3e to 4e transition. I am still completely confused over what the "problem" was in your initial post. Could you please illuminate?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

bouncyhead

Explorer
I am comparing book sales to DDI. Or rather discussing the fact that one can't. It's a line of conversation I'm interested in. You are welcome to pursue that line of conversation with me or not. I personally feel it's interesting.

This new landscape is very interesting. I'm not sure that anyone can be certain about what represents the future of gaming - either in terms of game design or approach to market - but it's clear that WotC feel that the book-light, digi-heavy subscriber model is the way to go.

My questions is: Can WotC recruit new players through a digital-only offering? Or will they always have to maintain some physical product in stores (mass and hobby) to act as an 'in' for the game?

This new landscape is very interesting. I'm not sure that anyone can be certain about what represents the future of gaming - either in terms of game design or approach to market - but it's clear that WotC feel that the book-light, digi-heavy subscriber model is the way to go.

My questions is: Can WotC recruit new players through a digital-only offering? Or will they always have to maintain some physical product in stores (mass and hobby) to act as an 'in' for the game?

My guess is a combination of the two would work best for them. Rpgs are a little different from other books. Printed copies are still important at most gaming tables i see. They kind of serve as communal reference guides. Sure you can do that with a pdf or online tool but its tied to a very expensive piece of equipment (something i am hesitant to pass around or take to a rowdy game at a local store). Right now i am trying to make the switch myself to doing all gaming on my laptop. One issue i am concerned about is reliability. Something like a hard drive failure, computer virus or os issue could really make me regret this decision.

Mrgrenadine: i agree, that is why i have a triple redundancy backup system. But it can still be a headache when things fail. My biggest worry, more than data loss, is failure while i am running a game ( or right before).

Imaro

Legend
My guess is a combination of the two would work best for them. Rpgs are a little different from other books. Printed copies are still important at most gaming tables i see. They kind of serve as communal reference guides. Sure you can do that with a pdf or online tool but its tied to a very expensive piece of equipment (something i am hesitant to pass around or take to a rowdy game at a local store). Right now i am trying to make the switch myself to doing all gaming on my laptop. One issue i am concerned about is reliability. Something like a hard drive failure, computer virus or os issue could really make me regret this decision.

Emphasis mine, I definitely agree with this, and much as I may come off anti-WotC at times... I was a DDI subscriber for quite awhile because I thought it would be great support for my game when I was running 4e... and it was. That said... DDI has, as most here have agreed, become the main avenue for content as opposed to support for the game that compliments and enhances the books and I don't think I'm ready to give my books up just yet for pure digital content.

As an example... I've given my 4e books to my little brother so he can run a 4e game for his friends (as well as myself when I have time to join in), he doesn't make enough money now to reliably keep up a DDI subscription but with me giving him the books he has all he needs to run the 4e game for a long time and hopefully when he is making the money where he could afford to contribute to the industry on a regular basis, because of my gift he will be more likely to pick up the latest itteration of D&D, Pathfinder or whatever floats his boat as opposed to the newest PS4 game. If D&D 4e was pure digital media through the DDI... I don't think I would've been able to do that. Another example is that I will be buying the Pathfinder Beginner Box for my son my niece and my 2 nephews this october. I know I wouldn't be buying them each a lifetime subscription to DDI if that was the only option.

So maybe I'm an outlier, or not a "forerunner" in the hobby... but I'm not so sure that road is as great as some think it is.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
You've missed the point, twice. It's not about credentials, it's an example. I'm writing about what I know. At no point did I say, "I'm a teacher, therefore listen to me," and I challenge you to find where I did.
Then why did you mention it? It otherwise had no bearing. As an example it did not illuminate the content.
It was to set the reader up for the example I was using, as I've already stated at length, twice. If I wanted to actually try to get on a high horse about design, I would have listed my numerous design credits, all for 3.x. Which I do in a post below to refute some other guy who has made assumptions about me. If I wanted to appeal to authority, I probably would have raised that point, don't you think?
If your intent was to set up your example then you failed. Mentioning your design credits would have been more to the point, unless your own experience could have been used against your argument. It was germane, and should have been used rather than the irrelevant status of educator. I also have design credits, largely outdated since I was working for a small press RPG company in the 1980s (The Companions, operating out of Bath, Maine, now out of business for twenty odd years). More recently was a limited amount of material for 3.X. It is entirely possible that your credentials in that regard would have added more weight than mine own.

So, if I write a detailed response in paragraph form, I'm committing a fallacy? That's not what we are teaching in the classroom, btw. Detailed responses are what we are hoping for. You were so incredibly off base with your attack of me personally in a post that contained no reference to the actual topic of the thread I felt the need to explain at length. I'm always verbose, I even write articles for the University of Pheonix. Oops, I guess I just fallacied again (like that's even a verb.) That's not an appeal to authority folks, just that I find it easy to vomit out words in quantity. With that clarifying statement said, in no way does verbosity give my opinion any more weight than yours.
Again, then why did you bother? Both of us would benefit from the adage 'brevity is the soul of wit'. I believe that you were using a cloud of verbiage to obfuscate rather than reveal. I in turn use words more as weapon, to hold forth so that things may be seen rather than hidden.

Again, agreed. If you read my posts in total you may begin to understand this as well.
I have read them, I merely disagree with them. To quote Homer Simpson 'Just because I don't care doesn't mean that I don't understand'. Or, in this case, my understanding in no way indicates my agreement.

You see, that "English is a separate subject" idea has got to go. I had a middle school teacher argue that she had sole province over teaching English and that she was the only qualified person to teach it when I suggested a summer school plan that included English curriculum for all classes. She teaches English for all students in her grade level, and her scores are not terrific. That's the problem in education right there, as long as an admin allows that idea to continue, we are unlikely to raise those scores much. When kids are reading instructions for the games they play in gym, writing reports on composers in music class, and writing essays in history using the exact same rubric they do in English we will be getting somewhere.
Again, this in no way informs your own opinion. Nor, in fact, do I agree that English should not be taught as a separate subject. Understanding the use of language by means other than context increases both the accuracy and flexibility of the language. If anything I believe that increased focus on language and upon critical thinking would do America some good. An informed populace is less subject to manipulation.

That's a problem today too. 4e is a change in how RPGs run, one that makes the game more open to new players which we absolutely need to continue our hobby. Just like teachers do (I guess I fallacied again) so many have closed ranks and desperately tried to stick to what they know. On that note, I'd like a comparison of red box sales to the PF beginner's box.
As the Pathfinder Beginner's Box is not yet out the only information that I have is for the Red Box, and is both local, and for you anecdotal. Locally, the Red Box flopped big time. This was not what I expected, and if you look around these boards you will find posts where I confidently predicted that the Red Box would do well. I was wrong.

But I assumed a decent product, and much of what I have heard on the subject indicates that it was instead a rather poor one. :( This does not make me happy, because one thing that we do agree on is that the hobby needs to grow. Right now 'innovative' 4e is stagnating while the older style of Pathfinder is growing. If this is the case then how can 4e be deemed superior? If the older system is proving more resilient then it is the newer system that is inferior.

Agreed. Although even if 4e goes teats up, I believe it has already blazed the trail of RPGs in the future, but that's another post.
There are a few lessons to be learned from engineering, first is an adage: Don't reinvent the wheel. The other is that 90% of innovation fails - either as unnecessary or inferior to what already exists. And for my own purposes 4e falls into that 90%. It does not appeal to me, and that lack of appeal is in no way from a lack of understanding. I understand it, and I do not like it.

Contrary to some opinion, most change, both in biology and in human invention, fail. Much of the rest has no real effect. The kink in a cat's tail or a new means of applying paint make little difference to the survival of either the cat or the car.

Trumpeting that change is the future is all well and good, but there is no guarantee that any particular change is going to be that future. There may well be a new gaming system that revolutionizes the hobby, but I very much doubt that 4e is in fact that system. It may prove to be the bubble memory of RPGs.
Agreed. WotC has actually made very few products that appeal to me lately. I fully expected to be purchasing my next PHB, DMG, and MM by this point. Instead, there are lots of essentials products of which I've only picked up the Rules Compendium. I hope to get a second hand copy of the Monster Vault, because I don't really want the pogs (you want to hear me bash 4e, get me started on the pogs!). I don't want or need a red box. WotC, give me something to buy, I don't even buy tiles anymore because I make more own terrain now (shout out to Vince of showcaseterrain.com, that dungeon set rocks hardcore). I stopped buying the minis when the price went up, it's cheaper and more fun to buy metal and paint them. Lots of books have been aimed at players, which I appreciate. However, DMs spend considerably more than players do (5x or something, according to research I heard at a WotC seminar back in 2000) I am thankful for the redistribution of wealth, but maybe some more DM products are called for. I did pick up both board games, (so I could paint the minis mostly) and I don't know if those count as D&D sales. It's entirely possible that I, an "evangelical" 4e player, has had little opportunity to buy 4e products lately.
I agree in regard to metal minis. I disliked the randomness of the packaging of the plastics, and also perceived a loss of detail inherent in the material, most noticeable on humanoid sized miniatures.

That lack of appeal for DMs is a problem with WotC, and the part that I hope they will eventually overcome. It is interesting that Paizo, using an older model, is attaining success with products that WotC ignored - adventures and setting material, those very DM products of which you write. I have also heard between 4X and 5X bandied about in regards to GMs purchasing habits. I know that it is true in my case.

Change is not always for the better, regardless of game system I believe that WotC's current business model is flawed, perhaps fatally. Rather than cornering their market they glutted it.

I will also note that there have been 4e advocates denying the existence of evangelical 4e players. At the least you are honest in that regard.

I have no problem with folks spreading the good word about their system of belief gaming, but I do have a problem when there is an assumption that others preferences are guided by ignorance. It is annoying, and has no place in rational debate.

I love the Smother's Brothers too. Again, we agree.

Well, unless I miss my mark you're halfway through composing your rebuttal in your head, which will be a fine opportunity for you to explore the Last Word Fallacy. Go ahead, I'm done explaining the same thing three times over.
There are no last words, merely a pause in the conversation.
As for everyone else, let the attacks continue.
Attacks? You proclaim yourself victim while belittling others' opinions, a passive aggressive defense that is in and of itself an attack, so stop hiding behind your claims of being victim. It is the manner in which you forward your points that diminishes their impact.

I am fairly certain that you knew that you were employing logical fallacies, and that you deliberately chose to defend your first fallacy with a second. That it was neither accident nor mere coincident, but rather deliberate instigation.

You claim to be an educator, I do not doubt this, and as such I find it difficult to believe that you are either ignorant of logical fallacies or that you do not understand the proper use of rhetoric. That you employed those fallacies regardless of that knowledge does not cast you in a good light.

Leave out the defensiveness, stand straight, and do not hide behind your words, your claimed authority, or your apparently flaunted victimhood. You wish to speak the gospel of 4e? Then go ahead, I will not gainsay your right to do so - but do not assume that the reason I have no love of 4e is due to some form of ignorance. Mine is an informed dislike.

You do not like Pathfinder? Then I will assume that you have a reason for doing so, though I may disagree with that reason. I have no reason to suspect that you have less than an informed dislike.

If you are going to fight then fight fair. It takes less time and encourages civilized discourse.

The Auld Grump, yes, my education was by Jesuits, and it shows... as does my current lack of sleep. Fatigue always makes me verbose, and perhaps more aggressive than needed....

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
So in the early days of modern roleplaying history, there was Cowboys & Indians.

It had simple rules and classes. Your classes were "Cowboy" and "Indian". As a cowboy, you generally ran around, holding your hand out with your index finger pointing out, the thumb pointing up, and the other three fingers curled into one's palm. You would make an attack by shouting "Bang!". The "Indian", if not behind cover, would fall down dead. The "Indian" class would generally mime a bow and attack by yelling "Twang!". If the two classes entered melee combat range, they would go into pantomiming slow motion hatchet chops (a hand with with all the digits sticking straight out in a parallel plane relative to the rest of the hand, moving in a somewhat vertical descending motion) and slow motion punches for the cowboys.

This system worked pretty well for several years, but it had it's problems.

A second edition was released that added subclasses such as chiefs, engines, scouts, while the cowboy side got sheriffs, army rangers, and frontiersmen. Newer rules were introduced so that combat was resolved with shouting matches of "I got you" and "No you didn't!". The person that convinced the most other players of thier side's opinion of the combat action won, tho there was often concessions, such as "ok, you got me, but I shot you in the leg and you can't walk anymore".

During both these editions, there were many classic adventures such as the "Expidition to the Barrier Couch" and "Fort Ravenwood". During the 80s, there was a backlash of parental acceptance of the game after a player was inadvertantly suffocated in an old refrigerator in a junkyard. The game was blamed instead and demonized, instead of parents using thier own judgement and telling their kids not to hide in refrigerators or play in junk yards.

Some time later, the original company was bought out and a new version of the game was released. This 3rd version significantly updated the rules. Some complained about the inclusion of popcap guns that made the game too simulationist. That the rules for aiming down the plastic sights of your pistol took away from the roleplaying of banking a shot off a cactus. Players of the indians generally complained that cowboys had unlimited pistol range while thier plastic bows with suction cup arrows were limited by physics and the desire not to break mom's glass vase. The system was given a new skill system to model such things as cat rustlin' and smoke signalling and horse riding. To resolve combats, the Rock-Paper-Scissors system was introduced. It was a radical departure from the second edition, but was much easier and quicker to resolve a combat action.

During this time, the new company also released a Modern Age version of thier ruleset called "Cops & Robbers". This was a little bit more streamlined version of the game in which both sides had pistols.

Towards the end of this edition, using a popular sci-fi franchise, the company experimented with some newer rule concepts in a game called "Space Marines & Xenomorphs". Fans of the game and the sci-fi series both lauded how it was represented and the direction the rules were going.

That company went on to make a fourth edition of the "Cowboys & Indians" game that pushed rules concepts even farther.

However, not everyone was pleased with that move, having liked the edition they currently played. One company came up with an homage game called Trailblazer, based on some of the adventures it had wrote. Trailblazer attempted to fix some of the issues of the 3rd edition of "Cowboys & Indians", the biggest change being a math fix to Rock-Paper-Scissors resolution. With only 3 possible outcomes, there was not enough randomization in the outcome. Thus, they introduced the replacement: Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock. This math fix solved serveral issues, but some felt not enough was done to warrant going back to a 3rd edition style of gameplay.

Recently, one of the publishers of some good adventures modeled after older Cowboys & Indians modules (the adventures grouped under the moniker Wild West Classics), Awesomedude Games, decided to launch a new system called "Cowboys & Aliens". This system is designed to use modern system conventions, yet have the feel of first and second edition train robberies and wagon circling...

Can this thread get back on track or please die now?

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases