Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder outselling D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
Paizo has also been willing to eat some crow now and again, Green Ronin likewise. Acknowledging a mistake, fixing it, and moving on.

Eh, acknowledging, perhaps. Fixing? The standard answer has become "when we get done with our next busy period," which then turns into the next busy period, and spawns staff replies like "we have to keep selling books to stay in business."

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Actually, I've seen WotC reps say, "We screwed up, we're looking at how, and we'll try to do better," almost verbatim a few times.

So, no.

About rules foibles and minor design flubs? Sure.

About an entire edition?

Cuz that's what we're talking about here. WotC reps, in light of Pathfinder's glorious success, saying "We screwed up by releasing 4e, we're looking at how, and we'll try to do better."

Somehow, I don't envision them saying that. Even if some of them secretly believe it to be true. At the very least, they won't want to burn bridges with the people who really do like 4e (even if those people are a tiny insignificant slice of the market) by calling it a "screw up."

If you can realistically imagine them doing that in response to a truly dominant Pathfinder/lackluster other sales, you've got a stronger/more delusional imagination than me. ;)

I CAN imagine them saying, "DDI has been a great success!" or something, regardless the veracity of that statement, just because it's not exactly falsifiable, and therefore passes the marketingspeak test.

I could also imagine them saying, "4e hasn't gone exactly as planned," or something, if they were attempting to address the issues of people not buying enough 4e stuff, or the Edition Wars, or whatever.

But "We shouldn't have released 4e?"

Whatever, I was just trying to point out that no one actually knows how the hell any company is actually doing overall, period, because we're not actually privy to that actual information. All we know from this thread is that Paizo is selling more books than anyone else. That's probably good news for them. Any attempt to extrapolate that into "MY EDITION IS BELOVED BY MILLIONS AND CAN BEAT UP YOURS, WHICH IS FAILING AND SLIDING INTO OBLIVION" is a sort of weird jingoism at this point.

We will probably have both games for quite some time to come, and I think the edition warriors on both sides will need to make peace with that at some point, or just become grumpy old malcontents.

Redbadge

Explorer
Which makes EVERYTHING wishful thinking and speculation. Low book sales don't necessarily mean poor 4e income, since DDI is a pretty big pillar of that.

Certainly, I'm speculating, but just trying to join many others in this thread :). Also, my speculations are that 4e overall did not experience low book sales. A reduction in upcoming releases may indicate, however, that recent releases did not experience the overwhelming number of sales that reportedly occured early in the life of 4e (though I think I read in a WotC blog that Dark Sun did pretty well). The early successes may have been because even many people that didn't play or didn't like 4e bought the core. I suspect a similar situation occured with Pathfinder, though not to the same extent. My friends and I bought a few copies of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook (and other stuff, including recently), but we can't really justify playing the system over 4e. I suspect a similar thing will happen when D&D 5e comes out eventually; I'll probably buy at least the core no matter what it looks like -- I mean, it is D&D, and I like to keep up with the flow of the hobby, which I consider D&D to be the heart of, whether or not I actually play it.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
TheAuldGrump said:
but I also think that it needs better in store support than they are currently allocating for that model.

Better in store support? The Encounters program is in, what, it's third season now? How much more in store support can you get? Freebies, organized play, prizes and whatnot on a very regular basis.

We can complain about WOTC's customer service as far as actually talking to us goes. But complaining about WOTC's gamer outreach? That's a bit of a stretch. WOTC's done more gamer in-store outreach than I think has ever been done in D&D's history.

Never minding a pretty darn strong RPGA as well.

Redbadge

Explorer
I'd like to add one more thing; I'm specualting about the extent of overall 4e book sales, but it is not baseless speculation as far as I am concerned.

I'd imagine that WotC sets some pretty optimistic goals for themselves, and then sets sales forecasts a bit north of that number to determine print runs. Many of the pre-essentials books' print-runs were completely sold out (including all of the core).

I think I remember a quote from WotC president Greg Leeds, which I am trying to find, of him saying that some 4e books, including the core, were printed on an unprecendented level (exceeding both 3.0 and 3.5, though probably not both combined). Note above that I have reason to believe, that for some of these releases, every book printed was sold.

This is where my speculation comes from.

In fact, this may explain the new direction with Essentials. Much like 3.0 and 3.5 both saw success in sales, WotC saw that pre-essentials 4e supplement sales were waining (as they will always do later on), and wanted to release something else that would recapture large sales numbers (similar to the 3.5 replenishment). However, Essentials may not have been nearly the successful sales reboot they were hoping for, and seeing undesirable forecasts for future supplements, they cancelled some future products to focus on a known profitable quantities in DDI and board games (also to begin planning for 5e, which almost assuredly will continue the profit cycle*)

*Proven tried and true with the M:tG model.

aboyd

Explorer
I do believe (or rather guess) that 4e has been just as successful as 3.x over its (continuing) lifetime, and in fact, including the introduction of the subscription model, is likely their most successful edition of Dungeon & Dragons ever (both in sales and in player base).
To assert that it's just as decent as 3rd in regards to sales, yeah, I might grant you that simply because it's hard to say. Although some other publishers have flat-out stated that 3rd was bigger than 4th, in their blogs. But truly, it's fuzzy, so if you think that 4th was bigger, fine.

However, there is absolutely NO WAY that 4th is the biggest ever. Back in the early 80s D&D was a phenomenon that has never been reached since. Seriously, there were millions of players, everywhere. Ads were on TV in prime time, it was featured in movies, there was mass-hysteria that it was tied to Satanism, etc. The prime movers from that time have gone on record with how well it was selling (without stating actual numbers) and they've been clear that it was halcyon days the likes of which we've never seen since. So no, I would want to chime in as an old-timer to at least make sure that nobody ever thinks that what we've seen with 4th is what it was like back then. It absolutely is not. It's a flash in the pan compared to back then.

If nothing else, I've lived through it personally, and these days we're just pale shadows of then.

A recurring question, with unknown answer, is how much does it cost to keep that online model running and how much was the cost of creationg and expanding it?
We've had other developers in this thread speculate, and generally presume that it's profitable. And even though I utterly despise 4th edition, as a Web Engineer myself, I'd definitely say that 4th edition has a victory there.

I've been leading teams on building Web apps since 1994. I've built sites for Borland, Yahoo, Cadence, Actuate, and about a dozen others. With a team of 3 or 4, I can reproduce their online app. Since we know that there are 50,000+ members of the subscriber forum, and since we know that it's only a subset of the total number, we can safely assume that the monthly income has a floor of about $300,000 USD. Me & my team would cost about $50,000 a month, leaving a quarter of a million in profit. Even if we assume that there is a hardware expense and a small team for that, we still walk away with about $200,000 in cash each month. That's the floor or the bottommost projection. I would not at all be surprised to hear that it's bringing in closer to a million dollars each month. Something that brings in a yearly profit of over a million US dollars at the low end and possibly 10 or 20 million dollars at the more speculative end of the scale is nothing to sneeze at. Were I running Hasbro, this is something I would take note of and desire to perpetuate.

Of course, it's possible that since they are not really a technology company, they may have a team of 10 or 15 working on it, and working on it badly. If they aren't able to get the hot shots needed to crank this Web app out well, then yeah, they're making far less. They could even be just breaking even, though honestly, if that's the case, they're really mismanaged. Here in Silicon Valley, we do apps like this as a matter of course. I don't want to say that they're trivial, especially with heavily cross-pollinated data sets. However, I do want to say that similar things get built often, and typically with high robustness, as many Silicon Valley companies are all about Web transactions and building sites that do things with money. Since everyone is paranoid about money loss, these apps are hardened and really solid. That's what we do. So if a typical small Web team here can do it and be profitable, Hasbro ought to be experiencing the same.

Again, this assumes they are not mismanaged. Jokes about TSR mismanagement aside, I'm willing to grant this one to them: they are enjoying profit from the app. If they're not, that's really, really sad.

Last edited:

Dannager

First Post
However, there is absolutely NO WAY that 4th is the biggest ever.

He said "their" biggest edition ever, which I took to mean WotC. They didn't own D&D back in the 80s.

If nothing else, I've lived through it personally, and these days we're just pale shadows of then.

In terms of sheer numbers? Yeah, probably. In terms of the quality of the hobby, though? I think it's better than it's ever been.

darjr

I crit!
I don't know if the 56,000 counts cancelled subscriptions, but I'm fairly sure our hypothetical Bob doesn't count as two. I've subscribed and unsubscribed a few times as funds permit, and it keeps your account info. I never made a new account, just reactivated the old.

I've actually tested this. When you are no longer a DDI subscriber you are no longer a member of the group for DDI. It may no longer be true but it was at one point. Also when I reupped long ago I was again part of the group, automatically. The first time around I was not part of the group until I actually setup a forum account. And now, months after cancelling my DDI, I am still not a member of that group. Note that for a few weeks I wasn't a DDI subscriber, I asked for a refund and received a refund, but I was still technically in the DDI group and had access to DDI until my original sub time ran out.

So at one point it only counted current subscribers who were also forum account members with an account tied to their ddi account, barring those that asked for and received a refund while still having time on their sub.

er...

So I think the number of folks in that group are a good lower bound on the number of DDI subs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads