Pathfinder 1E Paizo Copyright Issues at Obsidian Portal?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Linguistic is "of or relating to language." I meant "of or relating to linguistics." Plus, linguistical is an accepted variation of linguistic anyway. Hence, linguistically, rather than linguisticly.
No, it is still 'linguistic', but is self referencing in this instance. Linguistical is not an accepted variant.... Connotational, but not in technical use. In this instance Linguistically is an exception, as Linguistical itself is not a word but neither is Linguisticly. (Welcome to the English language.... :p )

I have to say that you are not helping your argument with your chosen examples....

Stick with Strunk & White's, you'll make fewer mistakes. You may not expand the usage of English, but neither will you confuse Who with Whom.

The Auld Grump, who's own bloudie murther ae English Grammarye baen archaic & amusing fr. hymsael.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
[sblock=While the derail continues...]Synchronicity.... Today's xkcd

strunk_and_white.png
[/sblock]

pawsplay

Hero
No, it is still 'linguistic', but is self referencing in this instance.

If I find a word inadequate, I coin a new one that suits me. However,

Linguistical is not an accepted variant....

... you are of course wrong. :)

lin·guis·tic
adj liŋ-ˈgwis-tik

Definition of LINGUISTIC

: of or relating to language or linguistics

— lin·guis·ti·cal·ly adverb

See linguistic defined for English-language learners »

See linguistic defined for kids »

Variants of LINGUISTIC

lin·guis·tic also lin·guis·ti·cal

Emphasis mine.

Connotational, but not in technical use. In this instance Linguistically is an exception, as Linguistical itself is not a word but neither is Linguisticly. (Welcome to the English language.... :p )

I have to say that you are not helping your argument with your chosen examples....

Stick with Strunk & White's, you'll make fewer mistakes. You may not expand the usage of English, but neither will you confuse Who with Whom.

The Auld Grump, who's own bloudie murther ae English Grammarye baen archaic & amusing fr. hymsael.

There are two things you should know. First, grammar is a pet subject of mine. However impressed you may be with Strunk & White's, it is decidedly a text to mature beyond.

Second, I am not the kind of person who mentions that "linguistical" is an accepted variant without looking it up to be sure. :)

carmachu

Explorer
*EDIT* All of this in the course of a single month. Any time I feel that WotC is acting crazy all I need to do is look at GW to realize just how much worse they could be.

The Auld Grump

You left off the secrecy model- White dwarf magazine subscriobers will get their magazine 1 week after it hits the street. GW will only let retailers and their own stores and others know whats teh new release 2 weeks of it hitting shelves, as they dont want folks letting things leak out.

And one more I think, but yes this is ALL within one months time. To say nothing of all the other bone headed things they decided to do. WOTC has a long way to go before it gets to GW land.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
If I find a word inadequate, I coin a new one that suits me. However,

... you are of course wrong. :)
You continue to be wrong -

lin·guis·ti·cal
   /lɪŋˈgwɪstɪkəl/ [ling-gwis-ti-kuhl]
–adjective
(not in technical use) linguistic.
(Emphasis mine.)

Merriam-Webster and Oxford both disagree with your 'word' as well. With the term 'not in use' or 'not in technical use' as part of the description. It is perhaps a word that should be, I grant, however, it is not at this time an actual word, being unnecessary as its meaning has been rolled into 'Linguistic'. It is deemed redundant, since the word 'Linguistic' can be used to refer to itself, and there is no need for a word of more constrained definition.

In case you could not notice, grammar, etymology, and philology are pets of mine as well. I was a parochial school student, with Jesuit training for English - I remember an enjoyable argument with the Jeb that 'ain't' is not in fact slang, but an archaic survival, relegated to slang status - a contraction of 'an it not'. (Arguing with a Jeb, with supporting evidence, was likely to result in a better grade....)

Now, let us drop it here, and assume that both of us are proficient enough to support our claims, but that you are choosing outliers, and will continue to do so, while I am being more conservative in my usage of the language that separates us. You may dislike S&W, but it is readily available and is generally considered to be an acceptable authority, despite your dislike.

We may enjoy the argument, but it is not the topic of this thread.

The Auld Grump, it was Professor Pullum, in the Conservatory, with the Lead Pipe.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
Now, let us drop it here, and assume that both of us are proficient enough to support our claims, but that you are choosing outliers, and will continue to do so, while I am being more conservative in my usage of the language that separates us. You may dislike S&W, but it is readily available and is generally considered to be an acceptable authority, despite your dislike.

We may enjoy the argument, but it is not the topic of this thread.

<flynn>Until next time, then.</flynn>

talinthalas

First Post
All I am going to add is that after watching TSR's initial handling of fan websites, I have no problem with how Paizo or WotC are handling their IP's on the internet.

All I am going to add is that after watching TSR's initial handling of fan websites, I have no problem with how Paizo or WotC are handling their IP's on the internet.

**shudder** I remember those days.

Personally I have no personal problem with how either company handles their IP issues. I can just see how any action at all, might turn off the fanbase (especially if it reminds them of TSR in the 90s). It does sounds like Paizo was simply sending a polite request for the person to remove IP material from the web. But these things have a tendency to grow into a He said, she said kind of situation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases