Toasterferret's Council of Thieves

toasterferret

Explorer
Adventure Background

In 4606 ar, Aroden, god of humanity, innovation, and history, died. No city in all of Golarion was wracked more fundamentally by this catastrophic event than Westcrown. The capital of Cheliax—an entire country sworn to the god of humanity’s worship at the time—Westcrown was the expected site of Aroden’s return and had spent decades preparing for the event. A massive plaza known as the Arodennama, complete with a towering statue of the god, stood ready to receive the deity, yet after his death, it took only a few short years for the church of Aroden to fall. The Arodennama was abandoned, and the entire country found itself in the grips of a civil war with fierce diabolists.
The rise of the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune saw Westcrown’s further descent. After a brutal 30-year civil war, the diabolical House of Thrune seized control of Cheliax.

One of their first acts as the nation’s new government was to move the capital and royal court north to the city of Egorian, emptying Westcrown of much of its affluence and prestige. Those nobles who remained behind were largely old families rooted in their traditions and their pride, content to rot in their declining home. While still a vibrant and important port, the splendor that had typified Westcrown for centuries swiftly waned, and without the noble court many commoners and merchants who had previously made a living pandering to the country’s elite were forced to move on, leaving whole blocks abandoned. Westcrown faded to a pale shadow of its former glory and became a playground for vultures eager to pick the royal carcass.

toasterferret

Explorer
Introductions

It started with an urchin bumping into you in the bustling streets. When you went to check your coin purse, you found everything to be in its place. You also found a hastily scrawled note, on a small strip of parchment.

Once alone, as the watchful eyes of the hellknights are everywhere these days, you take a closer look. The parchment reads:

"We have been watching you for some time now. If we are correct in you taking any interest in Westcrown ever being free of the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune, find yourself at Vizio's tavern at fourth bell today. Tell no one. -J"

bayushiyojiro

First Post
Leonixx was nearly knocked off his feet by the urchin, and scrambled quickly to regain composure and check his belongings.

A short fellow, with vibrant red hair and piercing blue eyes, reads the note with curiousity. Whoever could this J be, and what would he want of a simple trickster travelling through the area. Leonixx determines that someone who would give him a note rather than cut his throat and snag his coin purse is far more trustworthy than the majority of citizens here.

Dusting his thick cloak off, he hurries as fast as his short legs can take him to Vizio's Tavern, he could use a drink to calm his nerves anyhow.

devious_sauce

First Post
Vigil read the note slowly two more times, looking for any clue hidden in the short message.
Finding none, he re-focused on the few facts he did know: someone had managed to sneak into his pockets, and someone wanted to meet to discuss destroying that damned house of devils.

As Vigil gave pocketed the note, he looked up for the sun. Seeing it directly above him, he made haste for Vizio's. He hated being late to the party, and the four hours he had left was barely enough time to beat whomever he was meeting to the tavern, he hoped.

Slithy

First Post
Maurea's intent

Maurea felt dirty. The kind of soul-covering filth that could only be achieved by close proximity to evil. She could smell it, taste it, feel it in her very bones.
After the little fellow bumped her, and the discovery of the note, she felt a little lighter. Was there a good presence in this rotted city? An underground current that wished to restore the positive influences of the old ways?
Excitement lit her eyes, maybe this was the call she had been waiting for. This was the first hint of her destiny after leaving her cloistered community. She was not about to pass up this intrigue.
After saying a brief word of thanks to Sarenrae she hurried out into the dusty streets again, bound for the tavern. If she could only remember which direction the inns were...

OneWingAngel88

First Post
Noa glanced out from the alleyway in which he had taken shelter to see if he could catch sight of the boy. A small pang of sorrow crossed his heart at the realization of the lost innocence of a young child dragged into such a conspiracy as this. Then suspicion quickly flooded in in its place, wondering if whoever was summoning him now had anything to do with the murders from the night before.

He took another glance around and angrily attempted to wipe off some of the mostly dried blood still staining his hands. Unable to remove thoughts of the conspiratorial summons from his mind, and with a fire burning in his soul at even the smallest chance to rend the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune from its lofty, hellish perch, Noa glanced out of the alleyway, checking to see if anyone had taken notice of him. He clenched his hands so tightly that his ragged fingernails drew blood from his calloused palms as another wave of anger and hatred washed over him.

"Well, time to get this over with," he muttered. "Let's see what it is that they know, exactly..." Noa stepped out into the street, quietly slipping a knife up each bloodstained sleeve.

Someone had some explaining to do...

Last edited:

toasterferret

Explorer
As each of you trickle into the tavern, you see a somewhat attractive woman, dressed in rather rough clothing, settling one of the tables as if for dinner. The faint clinking of chain can be heard from under her clothes as she works.

The rest of the tavern appears deserted, as if it has been closed for some time prior to this meeting. As you enter, the woman turns and says "Thank you for coming, my name is Janiven. Please have a seat and join me for some dinner. Your questions will be answered after we eat. Don't worry, we wont be here after dark by any rate."

Without waiting for a response, she sits down herself at the head of the table and begins to ladle out some thick stew from a pot into her bowl. Every few minutes you can see her eyes glance to the windows and door.

After a quiet dinner of what appears to be venison stew, Janiven addresses the group.

“Again, thank you for agreeing to meet with me here. I have chosen each of you for a singular reason—everyone here, myself included, has suffered, whether we realize it or not. I have lived in Westcrown my whole life, and although I love this city, I must admit, as must you, that despite our peace and prosperity, we continue to suffer. Fear should not be an expected part of life, and yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps. Yes, Westcrown has been safe from war and famine for nearly seventy years, and yes, our businesses has prospered—but this safety and prosperity has been bought in the coinage of fear and prayers to Hell. Other lands live free from tyranny. Other cities do not fear the night. Other governments do not cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows. Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history—she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters! With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!”
looking to each of you in turn, she continues

"Now that my statement of intent is out of the way, why don't we have some introductions?"

bayushiyojiro

First Post
Upon entering the tavern and seeing the attractive lady, Leonixx sprung to attention, and drifted towards the table without realizing how barren the tavern was otherwise. About to begin attempt a conversation with her as she interrupted and then poured the stew out into the bowls.

Leonixx munched the stew, his eyes constantly trailing back to the lady. It was better tasting than his usual meats from the underground.. voles and the like, but his taste buds still were not accostumed.

Upon Conclusion of the dinner, Leonixx quickly pipes up as soon as she asks for introductions:

"I am Leonixx Lightfeather, Son of Liandra and Thuradoun Lightfeather, of the underground hamlet of Stonehearth. I am versed in the arts of sorcery and.. yes, this handsome devil IS single." He then flashes a brilliant gnomish smile at both ladies in the room, lingering a moment longer at the hostess before taking to his seat again.

Last edited:

OneWingAngel88

First Post
Noa reached an alley across the street from the tavern and watched for a minute or two before deciding to enter. Seeing a youngish gnome walk in, seemingly oblivious to the potential dangers of the Wescrani streets did nothing to bolster his courage. Either it was some sort of a trap to lure him off of his guard, or he was not the only unfortunate to be called to this meeting. Either way, he remained as wary as he could.

Glancing quickly from side to side and moving briskly to avoid any more of the sidelong glances at his bloodstained hands and sleeves, Noa crossed the street to the tavern entrance. And, as quietly as he was able, he slipped inside.

Seeing a young woman and the gnome, and his heart emboldened by his fresh loss, he stepped forward into the room intent on getting the answers he sought. "Who is it who has called me here, and how is it that you know who I am," he angrily began. But then the woman glanced up, and with a completely disarming expression, bid him to sit down and enjoy a meal. Hardly knowing what he was doing, Noa did so, and quietly ate from a small bowl of stew...

"Aye," Noa agreed as Janiven finished. Quickly cut off by Leonixx, Noa stifled his indignation and waited his turn. Upon hearing the burrowdweller end his self aggrandizement, he rose from his seat:

"I am Noa Bradthorn, of the fallen and disgraced House of Bradthorn, once among the favored houses of Aroden. My father and mother Konor and Liiza Bradthorn, as well as my brother and sister Caleb and Aeifa were all murdered this past eve at the hands of cloaked figures in the night. It is their blood which stains my hands and clothes as a sign of shame that I was not able to help them. I know not who it was that killed them, but I do know that when I find out who has done so, then it would be wise for all others to remove themselves out of my way, for none standing in it shall be spared my vengence." At this, a knife appeared from within his sleeve nigh instantly, and slammed into the table next to his now empty bowl. Taking a breath to steady himself, he continued. "I know not who you are that has called me here, nor who the rest of you might be, but I pray to Iomedae for your sakes that you be not associated with the murderers of my family and that you all remain true in your speech and intent and do not seek to deceive me. For be that the case, I shall punish any who dishonor my family with such intent, even if it should cost my life." Ignoring any looks of anger or disapproval, Noa softened his tone slightly and continued on. "You ask who I am and I have told you. As to what it is that I can do, I am not so sure that I can sum that up quite so easily. I grew up on and off of the streets of Westcrown and under the tutelage of parents from a noble, yet poor house. While I have not trained in any particular trade or art, and have worked the Wescrani docks for years, I can certainly tell you this. While I may not be a solider, or a priest, or a shaper of spells, I can go as far as is needed to do what must be done, and from now until the end of my mission, my enemies will find naught but death at my hands." With his final statement, Noa yanked the dagger from the table and returned to his chair.

devious_sauce

First Post
Vigil's Introduction:

"Lets keep this moving along, shall we?" Vigil was starting to get impatient, and stood up maybe a little too soon after Noa had sat back town.

The hours he'd spent fruitlessly watching the empty tavern before the arrival of the other guests, combined with the silent meal, were starting to take their toll on the man, and Vigil was more of a do-er than a talker.

"The name's Vigil, and while I haven't exactly prepared a speech..." Vigil trailed off as he realized he was likely offending the bloody, talkative fellow with the dagger in his hand.

"...Ehhemm." Vigil rather poorly faked a cough and finished his sentence at double speed, "I do have a fair few talents to contribute, if the lady speaks the truth." He gestured to Janiven.

Vigil started to sit, before stopping himself and turning back to face the bloody man at the other side of the table.
"Uhhh, sorry about your family and all."

As Vigil sat back down he sighed to himself, and he scanned the rest of the table for reactions to his contribution. At least no one had tried to kill him, although Noa didn't look far off. He had to stop speaking in public.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases