D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 core 3 tripper build help optimization

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Polymorph :: d20srd.org

"This spell functions like alter self, except..."

So unless something in Polymorph contradicts the rules for Alter Self, the rules for alter self apply...

Alter Self :: d20srd.org

"You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal."

Genesist

First Post
And again, you are correct :). So it looks like wizard is more limited in that it is only a viable fighter 3/day, but less limited in that it has all of the other spells, and can polymorph into many things.

Genesist

First Post
"Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack" is this the reason that I cannot enlarge myself after polymorphing?

Very true dandu. Dandu, which of the three builds do you think is most viable?

Dandu

First Post
"Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack" is this the reason that I cannot enlarge myself after polymorphing?

Very true dandu. Dandu, which of the three builds do you think is most viable?
The wizard, in that if you figure that tripping things just isn't working, you can retool to take over a different role in 8 hours.

Genesist

First Post
Okay, my DM has disallowed werewolves due to some sort of xenephobia that is universal due to plot... sounds like something to avoid. I will choose which build based on what the composition of the party ends up being. Most likely wizard, unless our party is super squishy. Any last suggestions for optimization?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Pick your banned schools if you're going to do wizard. How open is your DM to necromancy? Some balk at it even if you "just" use it for fear effects, str depleting, negative levels, etc... and never touch any of the undead stuff. Like I said, Evocation, Necro, and Enchantment are the best picks to ban, but which two is your preference. Look at the spells for each and decide. Just remember: anything you could use a mind-affecting will save enchantment spell on you could also probably be tripping, and direct damage isn't needed (so look at the other evocation spells, like Shatter, Gust of Wind, Wind Wall, Contingency if you actually expect to get high enough level to use it...).

Max the knowledge skills related to the creature types you want to change into, in case your DM tries to limit you to things you "know about." So...Nature (overlaps with Druid's expertise, though), Arcana, and Dungeoneering mostly.

Genesist

First Post
I said werewolf earlier, but meant were anything is not allowed just to be clear. I highly doubt that my DM would pull the knowledge thing, but I will be careful. It'd be funny if I could turn into a vamp (I know it's a template) when we're fighting them. I cleared treant with chain with him. I'm gonna browse through the MM again and see if I missed some goodies.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases