D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 core 3 tripper build help optimization

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
So for wereape feats.
For my 2 level one if I went ranger, improed trip and combat expertise (or reflexes, I always get them mixed up), and then toughness for ape feat. then at level 8, HD 6, gain the other combat feat? Or just go fighter and then get chain at 8. Which would be better?

The two starting feats are Expertise and Imp. Trip.

At level 8, I would dip Fighter for 1 level. Then because it's your 6th HD and Fighter 1, youd get two feats, so you could immediately pick up both Combat Reflexes and Spiked Chain proficiency. Then go into Barbarian. Splash back into Fighter for a 2nd level at any point you want after starting in Barbarian if you need another feat right away. Not essential, but I strongly recommend Power Attack at some point, so you have something devastating to use against stuff you can't trip. Or even when you can trip. The +4 to hit prone is like +8 free damage with power attack.

Genesist

First Post
Okay, that all makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for explaining this to me, I've never made a tripper, much less a lycanthrope. Do you think that a lycanthrope with guisarme etc. is worth it? The whole being huge thing could be quite fun.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think it's better purely for tripping than the spellcasting options. If you want the most powerful character you can get, though, spellcasting of any sort will always be the best thing you can possibly do. Of the two you listed, I like the lycanthrope more and it is the better tripper by far. But the DD can use wands and scrolls and has WAAAAAY more variety and options than you can imagine.

I like the polymorph wizard idea most of all, however. Its only weakness is low hp and crappy touch AC, but otherwise it can be a real beast.

Genesist

First Post
One thing to remember is that the ranger1/LA 2/Ape4/Fighter2 etc. will have a track and scent, which allows tracking by scent, which could have some interesting non-combat uses. I've calculated the two melee builds, I'll start looking more into the wizy now. Although considering I wasn't going for damage, the were ape isn't so bad. That's a 23.5 average damage with a spiked chain. Why is it that a polymorphed treant could not use a weapon. I don't see anything against that in the entry?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Does it have human-like hands? I don't have the book, so I can't see the picture, and the monster entry is inconclusive. It only mentions legs. If it has hands with thumbs, it should be able to use a weapon just fine.

EDIT: Google searched for a pic, it probably could, just check with your DM to be sure.

Genesist

First Post
It clearly has hands, 29 strength which is awesome as well as huge size, 21 con, but only 8 dex. Still a wizard poly morphing into that thing wielding a spiked chain could be pretty sweet. If only it could be enlarged to colossal :p. I'd also gain animate trees according to polymorph text. I'm liking the wizard build more now. What's your reccomendation for wizy progression if I am going for tripping treant... I feel like he should have a vine colored chain.

Genesist

First Post
So with school specialization and 18 int I'd have 3 uses of polymorph at level 7. I would then go fighter 1 and into eldritch knight. this seems somwhat limiting and I wouldn't increase in what HD monster I can turn into until level 10. Or am I missing something? earlier you said I could cast polymorph as a 6th level wiz.

Genesist

First Post
I've calculated all builds out, main some minor changes to the other 2.

Dwarf ranger 1/fighter 2/barb 1/sorc 1/dragon disciple 2:
Average HP: 83
Strength: 24
BAB: 5
Trip bonus: 15
Ranged: 20
Feats: combat reflexes, combat expertise, chain prof, improved trip, improved disarm, track (from ranger)
Damage: 2d6+10 (assuming no up close use of claws/bite)
Speed: 30
Hit bonus: 11
Size: large
AC: 15
Other things: favored enemy undead, level 1 spells, familiar, claw and bite, ability to rage 1/day (applied).

Human wereape hybrid afflicted:
Average HP: 48
Strength: 28
BAB: 4
Trip bonus: 21
Ranged: 30
Feats: combat expertise, improved trip, iron will, alertness, toughness (will get combat reflexes and chain prof at level 8)
Damage: 3d6+13 (assuming no up close use of claws/bite)
Hit bonus: 11
Size: huge
AC: 16
Other things: scent, can combined with track, DR 5/silver, low-light vision, potential to lose control of form, 2 wisdom, favored enemy: undead. USES GUISRME AT LEVEL 7 WITH SPIKED GAUNTLET.

Wizard polymorphed treant (dwarf):
Average HP: 47
Strength: 29
BAB: 3
Feats: undetermined wizard feat, combat expertise, improved trip, chain prof. DUE TO DEX OF 8 FROM TREANT COMBAT REFLEXES IS USELESS
Hit bonus: 110
AC: 25
Other things: trample, can cast 4th level spells. CAN ONLY POLYMORPH 3 TIME PER DAY

So thoughts everyone? These appear to be the three builds.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It clearly has hands, 29 strength which is awesome as well as huge size, 21 con, but only 8 dex. Still a wizard poly morphing into that thing wielding a spiked chain could be pretty sweet. If only it could be enlarged to colossal :p. I'd also gain animate trees according to polymorph text. I'm liking the wizard build more now. What's your reccomendation for wizy progression if I am going for tripping treant... I feel like he should have a vine colored chain.

You would not gain Animate Trees, you only get Ex special attacks, not Su or Sp. The only Wizard progression you can do if you want to start with Polymorph is Wizard 7. From there, it's up to you. Wiz 8 advances BAB, and you need Fighter, Barb, or Ranger 1 (or Paladin, but why would you? :) ) to enter Eldritch Knight, which will cost you a 2nd CL, but ultimately will provide full BAB and casting progresion with a d6 HD, which makes it worth it for a melee-focused wizard. I said do melee class 1 / EK 1 immediately so you could get the other feats you want right away and move on with the build. Feel free to go to Wizard 8 first if you want. I would not go past Wizard 8.

So with school specialization and 18 int I'd have 3 uses of polymorph at level 7. I would then go fighter 1 and into eldritch knight. this seems somwhat limiting and I wouldn't increase in what HD monster I can turn into until level 10.

It would set you back on finding better monsters for a bit, yes. But you use your own BAB, hit points, etc... so it's not like it's making you much worse off. When you're looking for monsters that can use weapons, even the 15 HD options aren't that much of an improvement from what you can get at level 7. Polymorph 3/day is limiting, Wiz 8 would make it 4/day. But you're thinking of Rage builds that would only be 1/day for shorter duration, so it's not that bad.

On a side note, just noticed Wyvern is 7 HD and absolutely amazing for any situation where you can't trip anyway but still want to tear things up.

earlier you said I could cast polymorph as a 6th level wiz.

I never said that.

Wizard polymorphed treant (dwarf):
Average HP: 54
Strength: 29
BAB: 3
Feats: undetermined wizard feat, combat expertise, improved trip, chain prof. DUE TO DEX OF 8 FROM TREANT COMBAT REFLEXES IS USELESS
Hit bonus: 12
AC: 8
Other things: trample, can cast 4th level spells. CAN ONLY POLYMORPH 3 TIME PER DAY, very low AC.

So thoughts everyone? These appear to be the three builds.

HP would be 28 from con +4 1st HD maxed + 2.5*6 = 47 on average, not 54.

Dex bonus magic items would still add to the creature's base dex if it's below 13 for Combat Reflexes, and no one is forcing you to use a Treant. If you're facing lots of weak enemies and want to use the feat, take a large sized form and lose a little str and reach. You can be a little flexible to the situation with this build.

I think you forgot to subtract 2 from the attack bonus for Huge size, unless weapon enhancement or something is making up for it.

You forgot to add the creature's natural armor bonus to your AC. You WILL also have Mage Armor up, so that's +13 natural for a treant and +4 armor. Your AC is 25, but your touch AC is craptastic, as I alluded to earlier.

The stat blocks also don't do justice to the buffing and versatility this option offers. With scroll making you can provide the party with cheap buff effects easily, and you can give yourself and/or them Haste, Fly, etc... when needed. A spell like Displacement or Blur for a miss chance helps with your cruddy touch AC, and so forth.

Genesist

First Post
I thought that nat AC didn't apply when polymorphed, that's what I didn't add it. As to the rest I believe that you are correct. So do you and others things that wiz is the best route? I will now edit the builds with corrected numbers.

Remove ads