Alphas premier

fba827

Adventurer
Just wondering if anyone caught the new SyFy show Alphas ....

For those that haven't heard of it, it's sort of like XMen in that there are normal people who have an extraordinary talent, but it comes with drawbacks. And they work together as a team on assignments to stop crimes that are beyond the commoners...

parts/aspects that you liked/didn't like?

I put it in my hulu queue to watch later when i have time (and i'm sure it will repeat on syfy through the week/weekend), but figured i'd toss this out there to start a discussion for me to come back to when i have the time to watch it later in the week ...

Kzach

Banned
Banned
It's... meh.

By the numbers plot, caricatures instead of characters, nothing actually original or particularly compelling about it, and there's a massive disparity in powers that cross the boundary of the believable and into the supernatural and magical. Now, there's nothing wrong with crossing that boundary, but the entire show is supposedly based on normal human beings with extraordinary powers, not super-heroes. Two of the characters fill this role nicely (strength dude and hand-eye dude), but the rest cross over into the supernatural and magical areas which really spoils the whole sensibility of the milieu.

What's more is that it's using the McGuffin of 'a war that has already been fought' that rises again to prominence so you're left feeling completely out of the loop as if you've been thrown into the middle of the plot, which gives you no sense of association and therefore empathy with the characters or the situation.

I'm a bit disappointed in this one as I was looking forward to it.

I'd go a level above 'meh' to 'okay.' It's a pilot, so I lower my expectations, but it had better improve.

Then again, I watched Stargate Universe, and it took a whole season to get good.

Janx

Hero
I thought it was alright. I'm not familiar with the series of books.

I'd take Kzach's opinion with a grain of salt. His arguments seem sound, but he never likes anything (though he must've liked True Blood since he quoted it in his sig).

It looked better than Warehouse 13. I usually give most SciFi channel shows a chance, since there's not much else out there. WH13 turned me off with it's never-ending artifact of the week plots and annoying "dumb guy" protagonists.

I would rather watch more Alphas than more Warehouse 13. Which was still better than Tremors the series.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I have watched the first half of the first episode. I still have the second half waiting for me, but my interest in it is sorta meh. I like the fact that they all seem to have side-effects of their powers, but otherwise, the show doesn't really do much for me. Didn't really draw me in and the characters just sorta annoy me more than anything.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases