Getting Started

spiderchimp

First Post
Well met,

Me and a couple of my friends are interested in D&D. I've been trying to find the best "trailhead" but it's more than a bit daunting.

Some background info: We're all in our 30's but somehow completely missed the D&D train growing up. None of us have played D&D at all, although we have played some board games (A&A, Risk, etc). I've read almost all of the Dragonlance extended series as well as other fantasy and sci-fi. I also played EQ for years and later WoW and am very familiar with the underlying mechanics.

What materials (books, dice, other stuff) should we buy to get us going on our own? Budget isn't an issue. Are we foolish for trying to dive right in to D&D without anyone to guide us? Should we start with something else?

I sincerely appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Ferghis

First Post
I recommend starting with the Red Box: Walmart.com: Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game: An Essential D&d Starter [With Dice and Cards and Map], Wizards RPG Team: Home, Hobbies & Garden

It's the simplest and easiest way to get into the game. Once you've played through that, re-evaluate if you're all still interested in the game, because it can be an expensive one. If you find that you want to keep going, my suggestion is to buy
- the Rules Compendium: Amazon.com: Rules Compendium: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Compendium (4th Edition D&D) (9780786956210): James Wyatt, Andy Collins, Rob Heinsoo: Books

- any one of the Essentials handbooks: Amazon.com: Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Supplement (4th Edition D&D) (9780786956197): Mike Mearls, Rodney Thompson, Bill Slavicsek: Books or Amazon.com: Heroes of the Fallen Lands: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Supplement (4th Edition D&D) (9780786956203): Mike Mearls, Rodney Thompson, Bill Slavicsek: Books

- The DM's Kit: Dungeon Masters Kit Box Dungeons and Dragons Essentials
EDIT: I've spoken to a friend that recommended against this product, recommending instead the DMG2: http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Masters-Guide-Core-Rulebook/dp/078695244X

If you find yourself gaming regularly, it will also be very useful if one of you gets a subscription to D&Di: Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Tools, since it contains a lot of useful tools.

Last edited:

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'd suggest seeing if you have a nearby store that runs a program called D&D Encounters on Wednesday evenings. It's very new-player friendly with no commitment; you can drop in once, learn to play the game, spend less than two hours there and never come back if you don't like it. And if you do like it, you can keep coming back for more!

The Red Box is an okay introduction, in that it has everything you need to start playing... but if you get at all into the game, you'll find it very limiting very quickly. I'd recommending buying Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the Rules Compendium after the Red Box.

The DM Kit is fine for a new DM, and it comes with a really good adventure called Reavers of Harkenwold (my review of which is here).

Have fun - and feel free to ask questions as they come up!

Dannager

First Post
If budget is no issue and you want to have the best D&D experience available, but the Red Box, both Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, the Monster Vault and Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale, the DM's Kit, and a Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription. This will give you material to run D&D games for pretty much the rest of your life, and comes out to maybe $150 and $6-10 per month.

spiderchimp

First Post
Wow, lots of great advice. Thank you very much!

Is there any difference between the two Heroes books besides the story? The description on Amazon makes it sound like each book only has 5 class choices. Am I off base with that assumption?

GameDoc

Explorer
Wow, lots of great advice. Thank you very much!

Is there any difference between the two Heroes books besides the story? The description on Amazon makes it sound like each book only has 5 class choices. Am I off base with that assumption?

Heroes of the Fallen Lands is your "basic" book. It details the 5 core classes - fighters (2 kinds), clerics, wizards, and theives, and your "classic" fantasy races - dwarves, halflings, humans, and elves (2 kinds). So you can use it to make any class-race combination. It also includes equipment and magic items.

Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms details 5 different classes and 5 different races (as well as including humans again). The classes are ranger (2 kinds), paladin, warlock, and druid. The races are drow (dark elves) tiefling, dragonborn, half-elf, and half-orc. It includes a few more options for characters not included in Fallen Lands as well as some different magic items.

Bascially, you only need one of them to create a well balanced party of 4-6 characters. However you will need both if you want to create a class from one book that is of a race listed in the other (such as a dwarf paladin or a half-orc thief).

If money is no option, I would suggest the group have a couple of copies of each book. I have found it speeds up game-play if each player has a copy of the book in which his or her class is described (the stuff you need to know about your race, can be jotted down on a slip of paper if it doesn't appear in the same book).

wlmartin

Explorer
Well met,

Me and a couple of my friends are interested in D&D. I've been trying to find the best "trailhead" but it's more than a bit daunting.

Some background info: We're all in our 30's but somehow completely missed the D&D train growing up. None of us have played D&D at all, although we have played some board games (A&A, Risk, etc). I've read almost all of the Dragonlance extended series as well as other fantasy and sci-fi. I also played EQ for years and later WoW and am very familiar with the underlying mechanics.

What materials (books, dice, other stuff) should we buy to get us going on our own? Budget isn't an issue. Are we foolish for trying to dive right in to D&D without anyone to guide us? Should we start with something else?

I sincerely appreciate any advice. Thank you!

As a new player you may indeed wish to try and find a group to join. It is a lot harder at first to start a game (not impossible) and it can be easier to sit in on some games to see how they play.

If you want to try this, here are some tips
1 : Search for local gamers using the Gamers Seeking Gamers link above
2 : Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup - Find a local D&D group near you
3 : Visit a local Gaming shop (anything that sells TCG cards, Warhammer and possibly comics may also deal in D&D)
4 : Search on WotC website, there is a FIND LOCAL EVENT search that shows what locations nearby to you play D&D
5 : If you can find a local store, some of them run Encounter sessions - this is basically D&D for 1-2 hours where every game store running the Encounter session does so everywhere across the world, same adventure for all. It can be a good way to learn the game or at worst ask if you can lurk and watch the action

Another tip would be to search on Youtube for D&D. There are a lot of Video casts (mostly by DM to the stars, Chris "The man" Perkins) that whilst lengthy, will give you an idea of how a D&D session plays.

If joining a group is not for you, then here is what I would recommend to create your own group

You will need a DM. This is basically the Organizer, Referee & Storyteller for the game. The DM does not play with the players, nor does he play against them... he sets the scene, like the Director of a movie --- oh and he also controls the monsters.

The DM does not have to be one person each time, you can rotate the role--- although it is best to do so per adventure as swapping over mid adventure will result in a lot of confusion.

The DM does not have to be the most knowledgeable player at the table. As a DM you are given so many tools and help to get the game going and if you make mistakes (some of the best DMs still do) it is only a game and is never a big deal.

Once you have decided on who the DM is, the group (or that person) should invest in the DM Guide (Dungeon Masters Guide) which is a how-to on running a D&D game.

Each player (or if budgets are tight, just one for the group) should buy the Players Handbook 1 (not 2 or 3) which will give you the skinny on exactly what it takes to play D&D, the rules, the options for your characters.

Next you need a place to play. It doesn't matter if it is a floor or a cramped desk in a small room, but my recommendation is to find an area that can seat your group comfortably. Hours (and HOURS) can go by and it is much easier to play when you arent crammed into a small space.

The next thing is Dice. Typically you need at least 2 sets of Dice. 1 for the DM and 1 for the players. If players want to buy their own dice, they arent that expensive and can be picked up for a few ££ or $$ on eBay.

The dice you need (usually come in a set) are
D4
D6
D8
D10
D12
D20

(and although a D10 doubles as it, it comes in most sets) - the D100

So... those are your essentials

DM Guide x 1
Players Handbook x 1 (or more if you want)
Place to play
Set of Dice x2 (or more if you want)

(NOTE : Some people may argue the PHB and DM guide are not essential, and to some regular players they aren't but not having them will rely on using online articles and guides to figure things out - the guides are better)

Here are some things that are useful but not essential.
Snacks
: Simple enough, just keep your players well fed
Minis : Minis or Minatures are the tokens that you use in your game to determine where a player stands and where monsters stand. You don't need to buy expensive Minis if you don't want - pennies, buttons, pieces of paper - - - they all work just as well
Game Surface : This is where the action takes place. This can vary from paper, card, wipeable mats, whiteboards etc. Ideally you need something that you can either a) draw onto and wipe off with markers b) something you can swap out with a fresh blank copy since you will need to draw on it.
Adventure(s) : The DM guide comes with a starter adventure, more are available online for Free, some you can pay for. If you subscribe to DDI, the Magazines on there have Adventures in them. Adventurers are basically scripts the DM follows to dictate the action of the game.
Other Corebooks : Here is a list of Popular Corebooks... this is not a 100% extensive list but does include some of the most popular ones

Monster Manual 1 : A book packed with stats for lots of monsters
Monster Manual 2 : as MM1 but more monsters
Monster Manual 3 : as MM1 & MM1 but more monsters
Campaign Guide to Forgotten Realms : Since the majority of Campaigns are run in the FR world, this can be a very handy guide
Players Handbook 2 : More classes and races to play with
Players Handbook 3 : As PHB 2 but more classes and races
Martial Power 1 : Additional options for Martial Classes
Martial Power 2 : as MP 1 but more options
Divine Power : as MP except for Divine classes
Primal Power : : as MP/DP but for Primal classes
Psionic Power : as MP/DP/PP but for Psionic classes
DM Guide 2 : More options and tips for being a DM
Adventurers Vault : Magic Items... shed loads of them
Adventurers Vault 2 : As AV1 but more magic items
(and others)

High Tech Tools : Laptops, Computers, Projectors, A stereo with interesting music, sound effects... you can get Programs to help you track monster and player damage as well as other things tied into Computers that can help

Scenery & Dungeon Tiles : You can use simple Dungeon Tiles (things made from craft or home made items) or you can buy premade ones from WotC stockists that you can lay down instead of drawing things with maps. You can also get custom made Scenery and Dungeon Walls -- These can cost a bit of money but depending on your commitment, can be well worth it.

D&D Insider : This is a paid subscription service from WotC, you pay a monthly fee and get access to a Character Builder that AUTOMATICALY produces a PDF character sheet that gives you printable Power Cards, where all the abilities for your character are included (What you need to roll, what it is against, what benefits it has etc). D&D Insider also includes D&D Magazines (with new adventures and class modifications) as well as the Rules Compendium, which is an update for any rule that exists... This is useful if a question about a certain power arises, stick it into DDI and it pumps out information on it.

All of this may sound very daunting and this is why I strongly recommend you either join or lurk in a group before having you and your friends start your own one up. I wouldn't want you to go out there and buy every Corebook there is just for the sake of it... however there is something to be said for being prepared so I wouldn't want you to all be sitting around a table with a few dice and a PHB but have no idea what to do next.

Like I said, finding a local group or visiting a local Wednesday Encounter session at a game store is a good start.

Failing that, try some of the suggestions above or from other posters on how to get started... if you have ANY questions you only need to come back here and ask.

Most importantly.... HAVE FUN.
Knowing all the rules is never what D&D is about. You will make mistakes but as long as you grasp the basic rules, the rest will come with time.

Good luck
Welcome to the forum and the game... and trust me, I have been playing D&D for half my life on and off... and I still don't know it all and probably never will! ;)

P.S. I am fairly sure that if I have missed anything in the above, someone can point it out or it will already be covered by others... The D&D community is one of the most helpful and friendly communities in gaming.

Remove ads