Dual Shield Ranger build help

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yeah, it's hard to justify staying in past 6. Bashing Finish is alright...but you can acquire it on your own merits at level 11 on your own if you want to anyway. I'm not sure what the best multiclass is, though. Probably either Fighter, Vivivisectionist Alchemist (trades bombs for sneak attack so you have a bonus damage source for your TWF; I think it's better for the build than rogue would be), Cleric (domains are powerful!), Inquisitor (it'd be the most similar thing to multi into and has wisdom synergy), or Oracle (certain mysteries can be handy).

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Actually, depending on campaign*, I think I like the idea of doing Guide (archetype from APG) Ranger 6 into Horizon Walker. Guide doesn't trample on your combat feats and gives you useful abilities to replace the animal companion and favored enemy that would be crippled by your low ranger level. And meshes eerily perfectly with HW, which you conveniently need exactly 6 levels to qualify for. HW can give you some unique abilities uncommon for melee characters, and if you fight in pretty much the same terrain most of the game (like a giant dungeon crawl or a module set on the Abyss, etc...) you can potentially end up with something like +18 attack/damage against every enemy from that terrain by HW 10.

*Despite how it appears, HW's usefulness is actually directly proportional to how little the DM varies his landscapes. If you're always fighting in a totally different locale week after week, HW actually really sucks.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Update: Brawler archetype from UC gives an awesome +1 attack / +3 damage with all close weapons at level 3, and +1 bull rush and a few other maneuvers at 2. It's perfect for this build! Sample level 9 optimized build with 25 point buy:

[sblock]Oread Guide Ranger 6 / Brawler Fighter 3
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 5 (25 point buy)
Str 20 (22), Dex 16 (18), Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 5 (final)
HP: (9d10 +18 +6 favored class)
AC: 28 (10 +8 armor +3 dex +4 shield +1 deflect +1 natural +1 insight)
Saves: Fortitude +11, Reflex +11, Will +6
BAB +9/+4; CMB +15 (+20 bull rush), CMD 31 (36 bull rush)

Full Attack
Shield +21/+16 (2d6 +13, 20/x2, P) and Shield +21/+16 (2d6 +10, 20/x2, P)
Special: Bull rush on each hit, using attack roll +5 for the maneuver check

Feats:
1 Imp Shield Bash
2 Shield Slam
3 TWF
5 Weapon Focus (Heavy Shield)
6 Shield Master
7 Improved TWF
7 Power Attack [Fighter]
8 Improved Bull Rush
9 Greater Bull Rush

Gear (46000 gp):
+2 Bashing spiked heavy shield
+2 Bashing spiked heavy shield
+2 Breastplate or Kikko Armor
Gloves of Dueling
Strength +2
Dexterity +2
Ring of Protect +1
Natural Armor +1
Dusty Rose Iuon Stone
Cloak of Resistance +1[/sblock]

Ideal final armor would be mithral full plate, O-Yoroi, or Tatami-do, just too expensive at level 9 to be practical, IMO. Note that it can use Guide Ranger's Focus ability 2/day for +4 attack and damage, also.

I rather like this concept, shame there's no decent PF feat to apply shield bonus to touch AC or lend an ally your shield's AC bonus yet.

EDIT: Forgot Shield Master completely negates the TWF penalties.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Also, I think this video is relevant to the thread.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OydCKdKlbM&feature=relmfu]Dorkly Bits: Link Didn't Get Sword - YouTube[/ame]

Just think how deadly TWO smashing boards can be! :D

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
That's actually how my level 9 sample build operates. It's a build that "evolves." At level 1, he either does the typical sword and board w/o TWF, or more likely two hands a single heavy shield and people scoff at him for being mad. Then level 2 hits and suddenly hes hitting and running, hurting and smashing back people, and all of a sudden his fighting style doesn't seem so crazy anymore. 3rd level, he's mastered his shield-fu enough to use two at once. And so forth.

You could definitely build this to just two-hand a single shield, might even be better since TWF is such an underpowered fighting style. But the shield master feat's no penalties benefit kinda goes to waste then, a lot of good shield feats seem to require TWF feat anyway (granted, you're getting the two best ones w/o pre-reqs), and ultimately...I just wanted MOAR bull rushing. :) Build's more for pushing people around than sheer damage potential.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Apparently a RL martial art that uses dual shields!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9uILn0iCUs]Hasayfu Hung Kuen - Double Tiger-Head Steel Shields Sample - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: And some feats of interest:

Spiked Destroyer: Swift action armor spike attack when you bull rush someone. Nice with Brawler's close weapons bonuses.

Merciless Rush: Have to worship some CE deity and it basically just lets you move through the foe's square instead of moving him. Since you can move with him already, seems of limited use. But, you need it for...

Squash Flat: Trade 5 ft of bull rush movement for making the victim prone. Good trade!

Last edited:

Loonook

First Post
Apparently a RL martial art that uses dual shields!

. . .

EDIT: And some feats of interest:

Spiked Destroyer: Swift action armor spike attack when you bull rush someone. Nice with Brawler's close weapons bonuses.

Merciless Rush: Have to worship some CE deity and it basically just lets you move through the foe's square instead of moving him. Since you can move with him already, seems of limited use. But, you need it for...

Squash Flat: Trade 5 ft of bull rush movement for making the victim prone. Good trade!

I have to laugh because I was about to post that same youtube video :).

This is actually a fantastic idea for a brawler-in-armor sort of fighter, and the idea of heavy shields is great. I just see a knight in full armor with what appear to be Hulk Hand shields :).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Tayne

First Post
He should DEFINITELY refer to his shields as "smashing boards." I like the idea of NPC's reacting to him with confusion or laughter before getting smash-boarded.

He might also be considered unarmed in situations where people insist on leaving weapons at the door and don't know any better.

Remove ads