[Savage Worlds] ¡Los Californios! (OOC)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
[Savage Worlds] ¡Los Californios! (OOC)

¡Los Californios!*
A Revisionist-Spaghetti-Weird-Western

Muchachos y muchachas, gather around and rejoice! On this, the 20st day of February of the year 1845, Governor Manuel Micheltorena, that villain, and his criminal army, has been crushed by the combined forces of Alta California! The almighty father has blessed our nation for none of our brothers and sisters were slain by those fiends!

It is now time to celebrate for we are now free from the yoke of the Mexican dictator López de Santa Ana, may he burn in hell. Viva la República de Alta California! Viva el Presidente Pio Jesus de Pico! May god protect his soul and may the sacred virgin watch over our land!

* "Los Californios" is the regional historical Spanglish term for anyone born in California before 1848 while the proper spanish term "Los Californianos" describes anyone/everyone born in California.

* * * * *​

I am looking for 4 or 5 would be folk-heroes (or anti-heroes) for a Revisionist Spaghetti-Weird-Western campaign will be a that takes in Alta California during the days following the Battle de la Providencia. This game's story will be character driven and will be filled with morally grey hombres, historical figures, machismo, the supernatural, and plenty of violence.

Your characters, will know each other or have heard of each other's deeds. I will allow you to play almost any human character archetype as long as the character currently resides (even temporarily) in the Pueblo of Los Angeles, its vicinity, at one of the near by ranchos, or routinely does business in the pueblo from one of the near-by settlements or missions.

CHARACTER CREATION RULES:
-- Novice with 10xp (2 advances).
-- Humans only.
-- $250.00, Deadland's Equipment (see handouts)

Books Allowed:
-- Required (one of the following)
---- Savage World Deluxe/Explorer's Edition (No default Miracles instead use Blessed)
---- Savage World Explorer's Edition (No default Miracles, instead use Blessed)
---- Savage Worlds: Test Drive v6 (For El Cheapo Players :D)
--- Suggested (optional)
----Deadlands: Reloaded (No Harrowed. No Mad Scientists instead use Wierd Scientist)
---- Edges, Hindrances, Backgrounds, Powers/Trappings from other books will be approved on case by case basis.

Handouts
-- Deadlands Equipment List
-- Deadlands: Arcane Power List
-- Dead Lands: Reloaded 2nd Edition Additions (contains info for dynamite and Shaman characters)

Links
-- Game related.
---- Random.org (Use bare bones text output for drawing cards)
---- Game Thread
---- Rogues Gallery
--Misc.
---- A tidbit on Californian History: 1831 - 1848 (What really happened)
---- California Map (Circa 1846)

HOUSE RULES[sblock=House Rules]
Fate Chips
The game will use the Fate Chip rules from Dead Lands: Reloaded instead of bennies.

White Chips: These are used as standard bennies.
Red Chips: Acts as an Ace, allowing you to add 1d6 to a roll at the cost of allowing the GM to recieve an additional Fate Chip OR can be used as a White chip without giving the GM an additional Fate chip.
Blue Chips: Acts as a Red Chip but does not give the GM and additional Fate Chips.

Blood and Guts
Fate Chips can be used on damage rolls.

Guts:
As per Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition, the guts skill is subsumed into Spirit.

Grit:
Player characters receive one point of Grit per experience rank. Grit is added to Spirit Rolls to overcome fear.

Joker’s Wild
When a character draws a joker during combat they receive his normal +2 bonus Trait and damage rolls and an additional Fate Chip.

Saddle Sores
Characters make Riding (-2) roll each week of travel by horse back. Failure results in one level of fatigue. Recovery requires 1d4 days of rest to remove all fatigue levels.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Weapons]
The following weapons will be available in this game. Not included in this list is dynamite which can be found in one of the handouts.

Carbines
Sharps ’55 (.57): Range: 20/40/80; 2d8; RoF: 1; Cost: $18; Wt. 8; Shots: 1; AP 2; reload 2

Derringers & PepperBoxes
Derringer (.41): Range: 5/10/20; 2d6; RoF: 1; Cost: $8; Wt. 0.5; Shots: 2; AP 1
English 1840 Pepperbox (.36): Range: 5/10/20; 2d6; RoF: 1; Cost: $5; Wt. 1; Shots: 8; AP 1; reload 2
Dagger-Pistol (.41): Range 5/10/20; 2d6; RoF: 1; Cost: $5; Wt. 1; Shots: 8; AP 1; see notes

Revolvers (Single Action)
Colt Dragoon (.44): Range: 12/24/48; 2d6+1; RoF: 1; Cost: $11; Wt. 4; Shots: 6; AP 1
Colt Navy (.36): Range: 12/24/48; 2d6; RoF: 1; Cost: $10; Wt. 3; Shots: 6; AP 1
Lemat Grapeshot Pistol (.40): Range: 12/24/48; 2d6; RoF: 1; Cost: $25; Wt. 4; Shots: 9; AP 1; see notes

Rifles
British Land Pattern Musket (.75): Range: 10/20/40; 2d8; RoF: 1; Cost: $8; Wt. 15; Shots: 1; Min str. d6; AP 2; reload 2
Colt-Paterson Model ‘36 (.69): Range: 24/48/96; 2d10; RoF: 1; Cost: $25; Wt. 12; Shots: 7; Min str. d8; AP 2; reload 2
Colt Revolving Rifle (.56): Range: 24/48/96; 2d8; RoF: 1; Cost: $24; Wt. 11; Shots: 5; Min str. d6; AP 2; reload 2
Enfield Musket (.58): Range: 24/48/96; 2d8; RoF: 1; Cost: $25; Wt. 9; Shots: 1; AP 2; reload 2
Sharp’s Big 50 (.50): Range: 24/48/96; 2d10; RoF: 1; Cost: $20; Wt. 10; Shots: 1; Min str. d8; AP 2
Sharp’s Rifle (.44): Range: 24/48/96; 2d8; RoF: 1; Cost: $20; Wt. 9; Shots: 1; AP 2
Springfield Musket (.58): Range: 24/48/96; 2d10; RoF: 1; Cost: $8; Wt. 9; Shots: 1; Min str. d6; AP 2; reload 2

Other Ranged Weapons
Bolas: Range: 4/8/16; str+1; RoF: 1; Cost: $3; Wt. 0.5; Shots: 1; see notes
Bow: Range: 12/24/48; 2d6; RoF: 1; Cost: $3; Wt. 2; Shots: 1
Nitro (8oz. bottle): Range: 4/8/16; 3d6; RoF: 1; Cost: $1.25; Wt. 0.5; Shots: 1; LBT; see notes

Melee Weapons
Brass Knuckles: Str+d4; Wt. 1; Cost: $1
Club: Str+d4; Wt. 1
Club, War: Str+d6; Wt. 3; Cost: $3
Club, War (Bladed): Str+d8; Wt. 6; $8; AP 2; Parry –1; Requires 2 hands
Knife: Str+d4; Wt. 1; Cost: $2
Knife, Bowie: Str+d4+1; Wt. 2; Cost: $4; AP 1
Lariat: Wt. 3; Cost: $4; Parry –1; Reach +2; see notes
Rapier: Str+d4; Wt. 3; Cost: $10; Parry +1
Saber: Str+d6; Wt. 4; Cost: $15
Spear: Str+d6; Wt. 5; Cost: $3; Parry +1; Reach 1; requires 2 hands
Tomahawk: Str+d6; Wt. 4; Cost: $3
Whip: Str+d4; Wt. 2; Cost: $10; Parry –1; Reach +2; see notes

Ammunition
Arrow: 20; Wt.1/5; $2
Pistol (.22-.38): 50; Wt. 3/50; $2
Pistol (.40-.50): 50; Wt. 5/50; $3
Rifle (.38-.52): 50; wt. 6/50; $4
Rifle (.56+): 50; Wt. 8/50; $5
Powder & shot: 20; Wt. 4/20; $1
Percussion caps: 60; Wt. 1/60; $.50

Weapon Notes
Cap and ball weapons get their name from the way they are fired. The bullet (ball) and gunpowder are loaded by hand into the weapon’s chamber, requiring more time to reload than modern cartridge ammunition. These weapons have Reload 2 (all Reload 2 weapons listed are Cap & Ball weapons).
Be careful if you go for one of these old pieces, amigo. They load a mite slow.

Stick with one of these weapons and you’ll learn the hard way: they’ll get you into trouble but they won’t get you out.

Bolas/Lariat: These weapons can be used to perform an Agility Trick using the wielder’s Fighting (for lariats) or Throwing (for bolas) skill. Success means the opponent suffers –2 Parry until his next action. With a raise the opponent falls prone, suffers –2 Parry, and is Shaken.

Dagger-Pistol: A knife blade juts out from between this weapon’s multiple barrels, which inflicts Str+d4 damage.

LeMat Carbine/Revolver: These unusual weapons mount a 16-gauge scattergun barrel under the pistol (or rifle) barrel. A switch moves the hammer between the two, so the weapon can be fired either way each action round without penalty.

Whip: If the wielder scores a raise on his attack roll, the attack does not inflict an additional d6 damage. Instead, the victim suffers a –2 to his Parry until his next action.
[/sblock]

* * * * *​

[Sblock=Sample Character]
♣ Miguel "Dirty" Sanchez
Miquel Sanchez is an ill-mannered 18 year old vaquero from the pueblo of San Diego.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d8
SKILLS: Fighting d6, Knowledge (Rancher) d6, Notice d6, Ride d6, Shooting d8, Taunt d4
Charisma -4 (-2); Grit: 1; Pace 6”; Parry 5; Toughness 6
HINDERANCES: Ugly (Minor)
EDGES: Quick Draw
GEAR: El Cheapo Horse (Stubborn, Small), Saddle, Saddle Bags, El Cheapo Cloths (Hat, Chaps, Shirt, Breaches, Gunbelt, Boots),

WEAPONS:
Colt Navy .38 (12/24/48; 2d6; RoF 1; Shots: 6; AP 1)
Saber (Str + d6)

FATE CHIPS: 3
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Californios_Map_1.png

[sblock=Detailed Map: Los angeles and its surrounding Ranchos]
Californios_Map_2a.png

[/sblock]

[sblock=Pot o' Fate (Current)]
White
White
White
White
White
White
White
White
White
White
White
White
Red
Red
Red
Red
Red
Red
Blue
Blue
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Deadlands! :D

I'm interested. :)

One question, though... how will you handle card drawing?

Always liked the Huckster archetype... :)

Bye
Thanee

P.S. I do not have the Deluxe Edition of SW, yet, but I do have Explorer's Edition and Deadlands: Reloaded (even the new two-books revision).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
One question, though... how will you handle card drawing?

Even though it's a pain, we will be using Lists on Random.org. So let me demonstrate how with Gambling roll...

Let's say Dirty Sanchez was gambling against your character.

In the GM post:
1. I deal the initial cards to each player from the action deck, and you receive a 5 of ♦. (Dirty Sanchez's card will be written on a post it note. :p)
2. I deal will deal 3 of the 5 "Luck o' the Draw" cards.
2. I post the remainder of the deck in an sblock.*

In your post:
3. You post your gambling roll results (1 success)
- You then copy the remaining cards from the previous post into a list on random.org to randomize it.**
4. You post the top card on the list in the following manor: My Card:
J of ♣
5. You state if you fold or not.
6. You post the remaining cards in the deck in an sblock.

After every player posts, I'll make a GM post...
(7). Dirty Sanchez makes his gambling roll... his results are shone.
- I then draw Dirty Sanchez's remaining cards (if any).
(8) I post dirt sanchez's cards
(9). I post if Dirty Sanchez folds or not.
(10). I deal and post the last 2 Luck o' the Draw Cards.
(11). I post the results of the gambling. (Each person's best hand, who won the game and how much everyone wins or looses)
(12). I then post the remainder of the action deck in an sblock.

* I'm assuming everyone count's cards and are not overt in their cheating. :D
** If the action deck runs dry, a fresh deck will be posted in post number 2 of this thread.

It looks like I need to do a modified write up of the process for duels also. :D

P.S. I do not have the Deluxe Edition of SW, yet, but I do have Explorer's Edition and Deadlands: Reloaded (even the new two-books revision).
Having Exporer's edition is fine. From what I read there is not much difference between editions beyond the inclusion of new rules, and a reorganization of the book.

Thanee

First Post

Not bad. That looks useful enough. :)

Are the results saved, as on Invisible Castle?

I just tried one simple randomized list, and got a timestamp "2011-07-28 21:27:18 UTC". I just didn't see how to look it up now, or how to tag it with a "name" (again, as on Invisible Castle).

Bye
Thanee

P.S. I thought Gambling was done in a more simple manner usually (roll Gambling, compare results, win/lose difference in results times Stake)?

Walking Dad

First Post
Very interested :)

Will you allow anahuac or santeria flavor for shaman/blessed?
scratch that, my Spanish isn't nearly good enough...
Maybe just a huckster, but they need to draw much cards... maybe a blessed from the old countries.

For initiative, could you just draw for us and post the results after each round?

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Not bad. That looks useful enough. :)

Are the results saved, as on Invisible Castle?

Unfortunately no. Which, in itself, is the big flaw of that website. If I manage to find a list randomizer that does save the results I'll give you all a heads up.

However, until then, I trust that you all will not to cheat.

P.S. I thought Gambling was done in a more simple manner usually (roll Gambling, compare results, win/lose difference in results times Stake)?
Deadlands: Reloaded 2nd Edition uses the rules I posted (as a mini game?). If I actually use those rules in the campaign it would be only if the results of the card game is especially important. Like if you were gambling on the lives of everyone within a ranchero ;) .

For most situations I will default to standard Gambling skill rolls.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Very interested :)

Will you allow anahuac or santeria flavor for shaman/blessed?
scratch that, my Spanish isn't nearly good enough...
Yes. :)
Maybe just a huckster, but they need to draw much cards... maybe a blessed from the old countries.
Alright.

It should be noted that according to one source in 1836:
The Mexican government takes the first official census of Los Angeles. The population is fixed at 2,228. This includes 603 men, 421 women, 651 children and 553 "domesticated Indians." Among Los Angeles residents are 29 Americans, 4 Britons, 3 Portuguese, 2 Africans, and a Canadian, Irishman, Italian, German, Scot, Norwegian, and Curacao."
Census figures for 1845 indicates that the population is between 1,200 - 1,500. However that number doesn't seem to include "domesticated indians" or children.

For sake of simplicity, if a character that speak anynative californian language , they will have:

Knowledge (Indio)

For initiative, could you just draw for us and post the results after each round?

I was planning on doing it that way.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Alright. Will do either a blessed or a mad/weird scientist relative fresh from Germany (that language I do know), still marveling that his prayers/machines actually have such a big effect in the New World :)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Just popping in because as you know I'm Argentinian, so I speak spanish. If you want to say "The Californians" you should type "Los Californianos" and not "Los Californios". Otherwise, ignore me. If you have any doubts about spanish , feel free to ask.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases