[LPF] The Mightiest Weapon

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Upon further observation, Quioan identifies the residue as not simple dye, but ink used in writing. He also mentions this to his employers.

"Well, if there is someone you want to meet for your dye and ink needs, it would be fellow Merchant's Guild member Bren Stillwell. He owns The Scribe's Helper and may be able to tell who made it and for what purpose."

"Yes, but if you need an artist's opinion, I would visit the Geese Farm owned by the wealthy Feador family. They distribute the finest quills for writing in the region. Writing depends almost entirely upon quill pens and they are experts on such devices and on ink."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
DM's Note: You have pretty much done all you can here. Finding the two major clues; Krif Card and the ink. Each of these clues were worthy of a CR 1 encounter. The party receives 800 XP for it, or 200 XP for each of the 4 characters. Additionally, Quioan receives a bonus of 50 XP for identifying the residue as ink, and Daylily receives 50 XP for figuring out that Krif Card was an anagram of Frickard.

Qik

First Post
"Hmm...well, is one of these places significantly closer? Since we are of limited time until we have to make our report on the matter, perhaps we should let convenience be the deciding factor. All things being equal, I would vote to start with a visit to The Scribe's Helper, with a possible follow-up visit to Geese Farm, depending on what we learn, but I admit that my opinion is based on little more than a gut feeling."

As the group discusses it over, Quioan attempts to judge the two men in an effort to tell if one of these options is clearly superior to the other.

Systole

First Post
The barbarian's eyes gleam. "Geeses? Is food birds, yes?"

OOC: Ha! I have a theory as to whodunnit! I don't want to give it away, so I'm cleverly encoding my theory as JGzLzG, which I'll decode after all is said and done. At the end, I'll we'll see if I got it right.

P.S. Daylily's desire to go to the farm has nothing to with whodunnit.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Daylily Falshenaya

-Normal-
AC: 16 (16 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 26/26
CMB: +6 CMD: 18
Fort: +4 Reflex: +2 Will: +0

-Raging-
AC: 14 (14 flat-footed, 10 touch)
HP: 30/30
CMB: +8 CMD: 20
Fort: +6 Reflex: +2 Will: +2

Perception: +7
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Earthbreaker
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Rage Remaining: 7
[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Quioan is unable to sense any other motive then the men giving information on that which they are familiar.

OOC: Decodes Systole's code... what? The butler?!

jbear

First Post
"I prefer to ask Bren Stillwell first and then the...wealthy... Feador Family. The longer we keep Daylilly hungry the better, it sharpens his mind it seems. But as Master Scorchsong says we will need to speak to both I believe. ... I have a creeping feeling that a quill is involved. A mighty weapon, a quill in the right hands. And is seems someone with a Knife thought so too and let Frickard know that a knife is not a bad weapon either ..."

Dusting himself off Relic snatches up his staff and stamps it impatiently.

"Lead the way gentlemen"

OOC: Lol, it's funny that you play a barbarian yet youre obviously a super sleuth in real life :) I have my suspicions but far from feeling like I've wrapped up the case. Okay ... going to add my prediction code: FrIaPctFFQBtpLMstKh ... hehehe

Edit: changed object in question to quill; Relic when using the other word (perhaps incorrectly?) was certainly referring to quill as he knows no other kind of writing instrument. His puppetmaster (me) may have incorrectly believed you could pen something with a quill back when there were only quills and so you could call quills 'pens'. I think Relic with the information at hand can say what he said with the information he has and having INT 18 (way more than me), his remark about a quill being a mighty weapon ... is ... coincidental? ;P

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
OOC: Daylily is my Tyler Durden. He has the ability to let that which does not matter ... truly slide.

The title is a clue, my dear Watson, but I don't think you've gotten ALL of the clue yet. Besides, working off the title is meta-gaming. The motive itself is there in the in-game stuff and a bit of real world historical knowledge. The question now is who had that motive, and I see two good general possibilities, but there may be others depending on LPF technology and politics.

P.S. If I'm right, it's a f#$^ing awesome title, DT. It's a dead giveaway, but only after you figure everything else out. Well done.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: I need a DM poker face smiley.

IC: After a short detour to drop off the three thugs, Gadral led the party to The Scribe's Helper, which was really two residential conjoined residential buildings that had been gutted and converted into a dye factory. The smaller building served as a chaotic combination of shipping area, order and finance office, and customer service area. As Bren Stillwell was a member of the Merchant's Guild, Gadral was able to convince the clerks at the front desk to let the group in.

The heady smells wafting in the second building assaulted the nose upon entrance, despite the effort of extra ventilation being built and an extraordinarily high ceiling. Small vats bubbled along walls, while ink-stained workers with smocks worked at various benches mixing various liquids into colorful combinations. One of the older workers stepped down from a workstation on a raised platform, wiped off wet ink onto a stained rag, and came up to greet Gadral. He was a gnome with rough hands, spectacles, and a short but friendly manner.

"Master Gadral, it is good to see you. I'm surprised by the company you keep nowadays, however. Is that Craftsman Mimfred? I don't know what brings a Craftsman and a member of the Merchant's Guild together, but I applaud it regardless." Mimfred returns the gnome's respectful nod.

Gadral answered, "I wish I could say that the reason was more pleasant. We and these adventurers have been asked to work together in order to solve the murder of Callery Frickard. We found some clues and wanted to ask you some questions." Gadral introduces the gnome as Bren Stillwell, and goes about introducing the party members in turn.

The gnome looks each of the heroes in the eye and gives them a firm handshake in return. "I will of course help in any way. Mr. Frickard was a good man and a great talent. I would be happy to do whatever is in my power to find his killer. No matter who it may be."

Qik

First Post
"Well, to that end, you can start with this," said Quioan as he carefully pulled a few stray pieces of glass from his pocket. "We found this in Mr. Frickard's fireplace; it seems to be coated with scribing ink of the highest quality. Is there anything you can tell us of ink of this quality? I imagine it's not something one comes by often. We think someone was trying to destroy it, though the question is, why?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Mr. Stillwell takes the glass with the ink residue and motions all of you to follow him to his bench where he can apply his tools. "And what makes you think that it is ink," he asks in curiosity as he sits and starts to use a magnifying glass.

Remove ads