Adventure: Brotherhood Returned? (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: IG, Pirate 1 was already dead from Wil's attack, so I put your damage on Pirate 3.

The assassin moved up and rushed Kane. The two grappled, both attempting to push the other over the railing. Both succeeded, as Kane and the Assassin tipped over the side of the ship. The night and the Sea swallowed them quickly.

"I never liked that one," Bartleby Haff joked, "Nor your friend, truth be told. You know, under the sea, they walk on their hands. Is your friend any good at that?"

Tesla pushed himself to his feet. Catching Khemnos' eye, Telsa moved the shape-shifting muscles in his face to distract the wizard. Moving forward, he landed a deep stabbing blow on Khemnos, and in one motion the pirate withdrew his sword and threw poison on the wound. Khemnos's skin began to burn.

"Tesla," Bartleby Haff said, "You'd leave your sworn brother, just like that, against a dwarf? You know dwarves make me flatulent. This is ill of you! May the gods of the winds blow them towards you!"

The Haff tried another chain attack vs Kruk, and it locked around the dwarf's legs, keeping him in place.

The other pirate circled around to flank Kruk, but his feeble attack was hardly felt through the dwarf's heavy armor.

Porse slowly pulled himself onto the deck. "WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?" he boomed. "STOP THIS AT ONCE!"

OOC: It's been over a month since we saw R1. I think this solution makes it easiest to deal with. And once he returns, I can just as easily write him back in.

Again, sorry for the prolonged delay.

[sblock=Motion in the Ocean]
Active effects:
[sblock=I will roll these]As the boat crests/troughs the swells, the angle of the ship's deck will change dramatically between forward and Aft. Athletics or Acrobatics check, DC 22:
On a success you are not moved. On a fail, you are pushed three squares in the direction of the downward slope (forward or aft). If a push would move you to a square off deck, push over deck rules (below) apply. If you roll a nat 1, you fall prone.

The NPCs are considered to have +15 for this skill check. [/sblock]

Passive effects:
Moving to the upper side/from where the water is coming, takes X2 squares of movement. Going to the lower part of in favor of the swell, lets you move an additional square for each square you move in that direction. I will include the below stat block in my posts, which will hopefully make this effect quite clear.

Check Map Block for Current Deck Direction
[/sblock][sblock=Push over deck]The ship's railing prevents normal push/pull/shift falling rules. So, if you use a forced movement power which would normal be able to move an enemy off the ship, the enemy still rolls a save; If the save passes, movement ends at the deck railing with no other effects. If the save fails, movement ends at the deck railing and the character goes prone.

To actually get someone over the edge, you need to:
1. Grab (standard) sorry, the bad guy gets a chance to escape
2. Sustain grab (minor). Lift and Move grabbed enemy (Standard) with a STR vs. Fort. to force the enemy over the rail. The player's STRx20 must be more than the enemy's weight, which I think might preclude some of the smaller characters from attempting this.
[/sblock][sblock=Cover/Concealment]Most of the junk on the ship's deck is not that tall. Since Carolina is small, she can crouch behind the cannons and the boats to get total concealment. Everyone else at medium size would need to go prone behind the objects to achieve the same effect. Otherwise, you can get the -2 variety only. [/sblock][sblock=Dim Light]
Characters who have normal vision can’t see well in dim light: Creatures in the area have concealment (-2 to hit with melee / ranged). Characters who have low-light vision or darkvision see normally in dim light.

I have adjusted the enemy stat blocks to include any attack penalties as part of their stated stats.
[/sblock][sblock=mechanics]
Tarkanan Assassin
Move: Move to J25
Standard: Bullrush kane

Haneth "Tesla" Tsalaxa
Recharge:
Standard: Get Up
Minor: Haneth's Trick vs Khemnos
Move: to K20 to K19 to J18
AP: Short Sword
Attack: 1d20+12=25 +2 CA from Haneth's Trick = 27
Damage: 3d6+6=24
Effect: Khemnos takes 5 ongoing poison damage
Note: Disguised as a woman

Bartleby Haff
Move: NA
Standard: Chain Attack vs Kruk (AC)
Attack: 1d20+12=26 +2 CA = 28
Damage: 1d10+5=13
Effect: Kruk Immobilized TSNT-Haff

Pirate 3
Move: to H25
Standard: Cutlass vs Kruk
Attack: 1d20+12=13 Miss
Damage: 2d6+5=0

Porse
Standard: Get up on deck

[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: H18 70/70 HS 8/8 AP 1 MW 2/2
Kruk: G25 79/94 HS 12/12 AP 1, Immobilized TSNT-Haff
Carolina: K16 64/64 HS 7/7 AP 1
Charina: I10 69/69 HS 7/7 AP 1
Khemnos: I18 32/56 HS 9/9 AP 1, 5 ongoing poison
Kane: G26 88/88 HS 11/11 AP 1, Overboard

Pirate 3: H25 6/95, Bloodied
Bartleby Haff: F25 58/96,
Haneth "Tesla" Tsalaxa: J18 128/154 AP 0/1,
Porse: H23 204/204 AP 1/1,
???

Tarkanan Assassin: G24 136/152 overboard
Pirate 1: H15 -13/95, Dead
Pirate 2: I23 0/95, Dead
Dire Beast Hunter 1: K23 -14/76, dead
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
Byron4-1-04.png

The Hatch at H24:I24 is the ladder which leads below deck.

Current Deck Direction: Forward is high (uphill)
- Moving from left to right: +1 to move
- Moving from right to left: Difficult Terrain
[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Bartleby Haff
Medium natural humanoid, human
Level 9 Soldier (Leader)XP 400
HP 96; Bloodied 48 Initiative +8
AC 25, Fortitude 23, Reflex 21, Will 20 Perception+3
Speed 6
Immune fear
Insane Litany Aura 5
All allies in the aura gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +2 bonus to saving throws.
Chain (Standard, At-Will)
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +12 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage, and the target is immobilized until the start of Bartleby’s next turn.
Wrenching Chain (Standard, At-Will)
Attack: Melee 3 (one creature); +12 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage, and Bartleby pulls the target up to 2 squares. If Bartleby has combat advantage against the target, he also knocks the target prone.
Chains of Madness (Standard, Encounter)
Attack: Close blast 3 (enemies in the blast); +12 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and cannot move away from Bartleby (save ends both).
Dark Eye of Tharzidun (Minor, At-Will) 1/round
Attack: Ranged 5 (one immobilized creature); +12 vs. Will
Hit: The target goes insane (save ends). While insane, when the target starts its turn, it rolls a d6. On an even number, it acts normally. On an odd number, it becomes dominated by Bartleby until the start of its next turn.
Equipment: chain

Human Dire Beast Hunter
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +12
HP 76; Bloodied 38
AC 22; Fortitude 21, Reflex 22, Will 21
Speed 6
Spear (standard, at-will) Weapon
+14 vs AC; 2d8+5 damage.
Poisoned Crossbow (standard, at-will) Poison, Weapon
Ranged 15/30; +14 vs AC; 2d8+3 damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).
Trapping Net (standard; requires net, encounter)
Ranged 3; +14 vs Reflex; the target is restrained (save ends).
Equipment: crossbow , crossbow bolt x40 poisoned, net , spear .

Human Pirate
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +5
HP 95; Bloodied 47
AC 23; Fortitude 21, Reflex 21, Will 20
Speed 7
Cutlass (standard, at-will) Weapon
+12 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Rigging Monkey (minor; encounter)
The human pirate gains a climb speed of 7 until the end of its next turn.
Scurvy Dog's Flank
A human pirate gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls against an enemy it is flanking, and its attacks deal 2d6 extra damage to that creature.
Equipment: cutlass (short sword)

Haneth Tsalaxa

Medium natural humanoid (changeling, shapechanger)
HP 154; Bloodied 77 Initiative +12
AC 23, Fortitude 21, Reflex 22, Will 21 Perception+9
Speed 6
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
STANDARD ACTIONS
Short Sword (Poison, Weapon) At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +12 vs. AC
Hit: 3d6 + 6 damage. If the target is granting combat advantage to Haneth, it takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).
Dagger (Weapon) At-Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +10 vs. Reflex
Hit: 4d4 + 6 damage.
Slick Swordplay At-Will
Effect: Haneth uses short sword twice, making each attack against a different target. Haneth can shift 3 squares before, after, or between the attacks.
Handful of Poison (Poison) Recharge 5,6
Attack: Close blast 3 (creatures in the blast); +12 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6 + 6 poison damage, and the target is blinded (save ends).
MINOR ACTIONS
Changeling Disguise (Polymorph) At-Will
Effect: Haneth can alter his physical form to take on the appearance of any Medium humanoid, including a unique individual. Haneth retains his statistics in his new form. His clothing, armor, and other possessions do not change. To assume a specific individual’s form, Haneth must have seen that individual.
Haneth's Trick Recharge (6)
Effect: One enemy Haneth can see grants combat advantage to him until the end of his next turn.
Skills Bluff +12, Insight +9, Stealth +13
Equipment: blinding powder, dagger x2, leather armor , short sword

Porse (reskin: Royal Eyes Elite Agent)
Medium natural humanoid , human
Initiative +12 Senses Perception +13
HP 204; Bloodied 102
AC 27; Fortitude 21, Reflex 24, Will 25
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Rapier (standard, at-will) Weapon
+14 vs AC; 1d8+7 damage.
Hand Crossbow (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +13 vs AC; 2d6+8 damage.
Flamboyant Strike (standard; requires rapier, encounter) Weapon
+14 vs AC; 2d8+7 damage, the agent slides the target 1 square, and the target is dazed until the end of the agent’s next turn.
Information Is Power (minor, at-will)
Ranged 5; +11 vs Will; the target grants combat advantage to the elite agent until the end of its next turn.
Aundairian Elan (immediate reaction, when the elite agent is hit by a melee or ranged attack; at-will)
If the Royal Eyes elite agent is marked, that condition ends. In addition, the agent shifts 2 squares and makes a basic attack as a free action against the triggering target at any point during this movement.
Combat Advantage
A Royal Eyes elite agent deals 3d6 extra damage on melee and ranged attacks against any creature granting combat advantage to it.
Disguise Trick (standard; at-will) Illusion
The Royal Eyes elite agent takes on the appearance of any Medium humanoid race. Its clothing and equipment alter appearance to reflect this change. The illusion does not adjust sound or texture, so a creature listening to or touching an elite agent might detect the illusion.
Alignment Unaligned Languages Common
Skills Acrobatics +15, Bluff +16, History +12, Insight +13, Streetwise +16, Thievery +15
Equipment: crossbow bolts (20) , hand crossbow , leather armor , rapier , thieves’ tools .

[/sblock][sblock=Adventure Summary]
Motives
Everyone: Report back to Byron & decide what to do with the information about the brotherhood.
[sblock=LB3 Summary]
Summary of Events
1. Bested Pirates en route to Allaria. Traveled on the ship Wind's Will captained by Captain Levenbrech, and mated by Porse and Trig.
2. Arrived in the port, to find it besieged by Lizards from the unending mire. Defeated lizards and met/teamed up with Charina.
3. Journeyed to Geardagas and asked the locals for information with mixed results (link to the leads gathered).
4. Went to the temple of Netari, where the new priest, Father Niris, has been tending to the ill (apparently quite poorly). He led the players into the catacombs, where his zombie minions ambushed. The priest, over confident, rambled on about Hellview (background reference for players).
5. Dealing a mortal blow to the Priest, he says Master De Luccia (First time they have heard the name) cannot be stopped, and he stated that Greggor "will be... among the first... at Hellview." The priest laid dying on the floor with his fallen minions.
6. As they approach Hellview, they encounter the ghost of Sir Alistair Glasston, who begged them to enter the cave and retrieve his lost battleaxe.
7. They entered Hellview, and came across a portal, as well as some guards/workers. It seems they were using zombies to dig a new path near the portal...
8. They step through the portal into a bizarre world. A demon statue looms ahead, with a tall gate behind. The bodies of fallen adventurers, as well as a dead demon, lay about the floor. Wil Triggered the Demon statue trap, alerting the nearby demon's.
9. After a long battle, they slew all of the demons who had come through the hell gate, and they found Sir Alistair Glasston's lost battleaxe. But Greggor was still missing, and there is the question of why the demons were digging.
10. Hergunna departed the group to alert the local militia, while the others pressed ahead North, trying to find the source of the demon-aligned miners, as well as the lost silver.
11. They came upon a wall blocking the road to the mine. Mounted knight Brother Arleas leads a band of outlaws and zombies to defend the mine entrance. After slaying the Knight and half his men, the remaining wizards and archers closed the gate. The battle continued until only the fat temporal wizard, Alaria, remained alive. She pleaded for her life to be spared.
12. Alaria identified the men who hired her as being part of the Brotherhood.
13. They entered the mine and found Greggor with some other miners. Greggor shows them a path recently carved from the mine into the Hellview portal tunnels. They are using the tunnel to subvert the protection which bars them from exiting the portal into Alaria.
14. By the portal, they opened up the wall to reveal a hidden demon temple. Inside, Master De Luccia brings the demon Amendfohl (the same demon that Sir Alistair Glasston fought during the fall of Allaria) back to life. De Luccia Declared, "The time for the Brotherhood of the Bright Eon is once again at hand." The players slay the demon, and De Luccia offers them a deal where everyone just walks away. The players balk, and attack. DeLuccia drops Kruk and threatens to kill the dwarf if they don't leave, but the players press the attack, and kill the brotherhood master as well.
[/sblock]Summary of Events
1. The adventurers return to Geardagas. They meet with Count Saga, who puts them on a quest to Alert Daunton to the Brotherhood threat and request aid for Allaria. They are joined by the mage Khemnos.
2. They board the Wind's Will to return back to Daunton, but things seem off. The Captain and his second mate are missing; First Mate Porse seems to be running the ship, and he is his usual unfriendly self. Over dinner, they question Porse, and get a bad feeling about the Sailor's intentions.
3. The Sailors made a move against the adventurers at night. The sea is rough.

[/sblock]

garyh

First Post
Khemnos ignores Porse, then pulls Bartleby and the pirate back to the treasure gleaming on the deck. A blast of fire catches both of the sailors, and the pirate falls dead and smoking.

"We were attacked without provocation, and will not stand for it! If this is the control you have over your crew, we'll know better than to trust you again."

[sblock=Mechanics]Minor action - Sustain Visions of Avarice, centered on J22, burst 5.

Visions of Avarice, Bartleby, Pirate 3 (1d20+13=21, 1d20+13=26)

Hits Will 21 against Bartleby, and hits Will 26 against Pirate 3. On a hit, each enemy is pulled up to 4 squares. On hits, pull Bartleby to I21, Pirate 3 to I22.

Standard action - Scorching Burst on Bartleby and Pirate 3 (area burst 1, centered on J22). No OA due to Staff Expertise.

Scorching Burst Bartleby and Pirate 3 (1d20+13=27, 1d20+13=23, 1d6+13=17)

Hits Reflex 27 on Bartleby for 17 fire damage, and hits Reflex 23 on Pirate 3 for 19 fire damage (2 extra from Gauntlets of Blood). Both hit, and Pirate 3 is killed.[/sblock]

[sblock=Khemnos' Info]Khemnos Eversorrow- Male Tiefling Wizard (Mage: Enchanter|Pyromancer) 9
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: 15, Passive Insight: 15
AC: 23, Fort: 19, Reflex: 22, Will: 24 - Speed: 6
HP: 32/56, Bloodied: 28, Surge Value: 14, Surges left: 9/9
Action Points: 1
Resists: Fire 9, Necrotic 5, Psychic 5

Pyromancy Apprentice (Class): Attacks ignore fire resistance.
Bloodhunt (Race): +1 to hit against bloodied creatures.
Staff Expertise (Feat): Do not provoke OA's with ranged attacks, gain reach 1 with melee attacks.
Gauntlets of Blood (Item): +2 to damage rolls against bloodied creatures.
Executioner's Bracers (Item): +1d6 damage on a critical.
Skull Mask (Item): Enemies who can see you take a -2 penalty to saving throws against fear effects.

Powers:
A1:Beguiling Strands
A1:Magic Missle
A1:Scorching Burst

Eyebite
Infernal Wrath
Second Wind

E1: Burning Hands / Charm of Misplaced Wrath
E3: Blissful Ignorance / Fire Shroud
E7: Charm of the Defender / Fire Sea Travel

D1: Flaming Sphere / Sleep
D5: Stinking Cloud / Visions of Avarice
D9: Symphony of the Dark Court / Wall of Fire

U: Light
U: Mage Hand
U: Prestidigitation

U2: Glib Tongue / Shield
U6: Emerald Eye / Levitate
Amulet of Seduction +2 (Daily)
Belt of Raging Endurance (Encounter)
Ectoplasmic Leather Armor +2 (Daily)
Power Jewel (Daily)

Power Key - Prepared / Not Prepared / Used

Full character sheet[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
KANE! NooOOOOOOO! Watching a ally and a good friend go overboard into the dark swirling sea brings the dwarf into a deep seated rage. Turning to his foes YOU"LL PAY FOR THAT WITH YOUR LIVES! He turns to swing at the two flanking foes, only to see that one of them had been killed and the other is no longer near him. He tries to move but can't. To Bartelby he yells AgggGGHHHHH! I'm com'n for you. You just wait and see. It not my stench you need to worry about now, it's my axe! Then out of frustration he yells to the wizard. I can't hit them if you pull them away from me! Kruk's hafling friend and comrade for many adventures has never seen the dwarf this angry. It is quite the scary site indeed.

[sblock=actions]
immediate interrupt: Unbreakable: Kruk absorbs 8 hp damage from last attack bring his total hp up to 87/94

movement: Can't immobilized
minor: none
attack: none

Tenchuu: Can Kruk get an OA against Bardleby? If so...1d20+16+2 vs Bardelby's AC for 1d10+7 = 29 for 12 damage If he doesn't get an OA then just ignore the roll.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Kruk don't be stinky and stupid, can you move it but not lose it? Wil mocks his ally in a playful fashion. Then he shoots at the crazy fool, Bartleby.

OOC: Immediate Interrupt: Prevent 10 damage to Khemos with Chord of Dissonance
If Kruk is within 1 square of a bad guy I will use Majestic word, dimsdale.
Minor: Majestic Word on Kruk heals HS+7 and he can slide 1 to adjacent to enemy
Standard: Jinx Shot on Bartleby

Tenchuu - were we going to roll our own balance this turn?

[sblock=ministats]
Init: +7 Speed: 5 Perception:22 Insight: 20
AC: 24 F/R/W:17/19/24
HP: 70/70 Surges: 8/8 Surge Value: 17 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:14 Wis:15 Con:13 Int:10 Cha:22

Powers:
At Will - Jinx Shot, Cutting Words
Encounter - Second Wind, Fox's Cunning, Twin Strike, Grappling Spirits, Hunter's Quarry, Majestic Word (1/2), Words of Friendship, Chord of Dissonance, Rewrite the Future, Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade, Virtue of Prescience
Daily - Arrow of Ill Omen, Arrow of Warning, Bracers of Archery, Circlet of Mental Onslaught, Inevitable Shot, Saga of Vengeance, Songbow of Vanishment, Warding Arrow, Word of Life

1. Warding Arrow Trigger - Immediate Interrupt when Wil is hit by 1 or less with an attack
  2. Virtue of Prescience Trigger - Immediate Interrupt to the First Ally hit by 1 or less with an attack
  3. Fox's Cunning Trigger - Immediate Reaction to the First Enemy that attacks me in melee
Full Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: If you slide Kurk to G24, he is adjacent to Porse, who is probably an enemy.

John - I am only rolling for balance when the direction of the ship changes, and that is only occuring every other turn. So this turn there's no roll; I'll continue to roll those for the players.

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk feels his feet move with the help of Wil's strong words. He grips his battle axe tightly as he focusses on his new foe. YoooOOOO...You are the one who is behind this! He swings his axe with all of his might. The blow misses but was clearly enough to get the foe's attention.

ooc: Brash strike vs Porse's AC: 1d20+18 for 1d10+11 = miss and mark Porse.

johnmeier1

Explorer
How can an ally
become a bad guy?

The rhyme of Wil is as bad as his shot as he tries to force Porse into Kruk's blade.

OOC: dimsdale, help is here!
Immediate Interrupt: Rhyme of the Blood Seeking Blade vs Porse MISS, nevermind

industrygothica

Adventurer
Carolina bites her lip as she watches Kane go over. She fights her instinct to abandon her cover to find some way to save him. Instead she levels her crossbow at the closest enemy, who is a little too close for her comfort. She fires successfully, and retreats further into the darkness.

[sblock=Actions]
Sly Flourish vs. Tesla hits AC 28 for 17 damage (Roll Lookup) plus sneak attack damage (2d8=12) for a total of 29 points of damage.
Move: to K13
Stealth: 1d20+15=24
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=No Internet Access]I will be without the internet again, until Monday Oct 17[/sblock]

OOC: [MENTION=834]Mal Malenkirk[/MENTION] - I think I still need a post from you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases