Magic The Gathering World in Fantasy RPG

triqui

Adventurer
Hi.
I was talking to a friend the other day about doing a campaign in MTG world. Probably using a D20 variation of some sort.

However, after starting to read the VAST lore in MTG multiverse... it seems to be DAMN big. Too much for a real campaign. Plus there are not only huge and vast lands (even planes), but also huge timeshifts. From Antiquities to Invasion, there are thousands of years.

So I guess the option might be to make the campaign based on *one* single expansion pack. The question is... which one? The Dark, Ice Age, Mirage, Legends... all of them sound nice. The skyship Weatherlight is probably nice too, but it might suffer from the "Luke gets all the spotlight" syndrome that Star Wars allways had for me.

So... which one would you use... and why?

Pentius

First Post
I'd use either Kamigawa, Lorwyn, or Ravnica because I enjoy the thematic conflicts of each(and also everything about Ravnica). But narrowing it down to one expansion is the right idea, IMO.

Zendikar (together with the Worldwake and Rise of the Eldrazi expansions for an epic campaign). It fits D&D like a glove, and it's got awesome environments and artwork. It's basically a giant sandbox for dungeon crawls with unsolved mysteries all over the place. Also, the plane itself is trying to kill you. :D

Take a look.

triqui

Adventurer
Lorwyn sounds interesting, but no humans is a drawback :/. Some players "need" to be human, for some reason beyond me.

Zendikar is also cool too, but probably players would feel a stronger appeal for Dominaria, most of our players haven't played MTG for a lot of time, but things like "Llanowar" and "Shivan Dragon" are a staple in our collective conscious :). Problem is that Dominaria is still too big, and time lapse is to deep too.

Ahhh decisions :(

Last edited:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Back under 2nd edition I ran a AD&D campaign set on Dominaria, just a few years before the Phyrexian invasion. It helped that an issue of Dragon at the time had rules and spells for dealing with machines.

I recommend that you pick an era in the planes' history that you like and run it there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases