Pathfinder 1E Paizo Announcement and Prognostication

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I was pretty spot on, (. . .)

Now hold on there just one minute . . .

"Uh, very successful, (. . .) They will sell very successfully as long as the consumers buy it.

So the real question is how big will the 3E market be, and how long will it stay big enough?

That will be how long PAIZO stays with 3E.

PAIZO is not led by business idiots. They will ride the 3E wave as long as it keeps them afloat. If the wave dies out too much they will just jump to the 4E wave.

Simple. Smart. Keeps them viable."

You've saying that they will sell stuff as long as people buy stuff. And you're counting that as a successful prediction? :D

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Absolutely, D&D is still "D&D".

As I have mentioned before . . . It used to be that only people outside the hobby would call non-D&D brand stuff "D&D" or sometimes someone who was playing a similar game and was using "D&D" as shorthand while discussing gaming with a non-gamer. Nowadays, many people refer to all sorts of Fantasy gaming as "D&D" even in the company of other gamers, and those other gamers seem to accept that they might not actually mean something under the D&D brand, and that seems to be okay with everyone. I'm not saying the brand is tissue-thin, but it sure seems more like Kleenex than in the past.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I still wish Paizo was supporting 4e. Don't get me wrong, I love what they have with Paizo's AP line and support that but damn if 4e isn't in dire need of some of the specialities that Paizo has under their belt.... here's my original: glad to see I hit the nail on the head on the Tome of Horrors, but alas, not full color.

"It'll be interesting to see what level of support they'll give 4e once the license, you know, actually becomes available.

I think WoTC simply waited too long for this and with no excuse. I know some will leap up and claim that 4e is the priority. But once again, it's not like this was something that snuck up one night and bit them in the ass. It's been an 800 lb gorillia in the room and their refusal to acknowledge it way ahead of time may have further repercussions if they don't do something "Soon."

On the other hand, I hope that part of the deal with Paizo being a publishing partner for Necromancer is that we get a 3.75 full color Tome of Horrors as well as a 4e Tome of Horrors.

Those predicting doom and gloom should realize that Paizo doesn't have to beat WoTC. They just have to do enough to have their own niche. As there are numerous games out there that have nothing to do with D20 like GURPS, Rolemaster, and Warhammer, as well as those OGL versions like True 20 and Conan, the market can support more than one game system."

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am lad Paizo did well, but boy do they have a lot of fans who love patting themselves on the back.

I am still waiting to see Paizo design their own game from the ground up. I would be very curious to see what they could do with that.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I am lad Paizo did well, but boy do they have a lot of fans who love patting themselves on the back.

I am still waiting to see Paizo design their own game from the ground up. I would be very curious to see what they could do with that.

Actually the fans like patting PAIZO on the back for a job well done, and proving that there is a company they can trust after WOTC lost that trust.

There is no need for Paizo to create a game from the ground up, as they made D&D 3rd edition THEIRS, with its own legs. Considering most of the people at PAIZO contributed to creating D&D 3rd edition at WOTC, I find the point moot. MOst of those developers already proved what they can create with a game from the ground up when they worked developing 3rd edition.

PAIZO deserves the pat on the back, and the fans deserve one as well, showing they are a MAJOR portion of the marketplace.

Simply I am proud of PAIZO.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I am now about halway through that old thread, and the suspence is nearly killing me:
Did ThatDarnedBob ever end up eating that stinky sock? :eek:

The Auld Grump

Dice4Hire

First Post
Actually the fans like patting PAIZO on the back for a job well done, and proving that there is a company they can trust after WOTC lost that trust.

There is no need for Paizo to create a game from the ground up, as they made D&D 3rd edition THEIRS, with its own legs.

So you do not want to see what their creativity could do? Fine, but seems like we all could be missing something good.

I'll agree with those dissapointed by Necromancer not producing product for 4e.

That was a major dissapointment for me. They're in my top three favorite 3pps (Necro, Paizo-when they were 3pp rather 1pp, Open Design in no particular order), and to see them fizzle rather than produce for either edition was a bummer.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'll agree with those dissapointed by Necromancer not producing product for 4e.

That was a major dissapointment for me. They're in my top three favorite 3pps (Necro, Paizo-when they were 3pp rather 1pp, Open Design in no particular order), and to see them fizzle rather than produce for either edition was a bummer.

I'm good with what Frog God Games is doing. It's pretty much exactly what I would have wanted from Necromancer, so I'm quite happy at the moment. :)

Remove ads