Proposal/Discussion Allow Themes

modus666

First Post
i think at low levels having just a little more to do than 1 encounter power backed up by at wills would not be a bad thing. im not sure why we're getting such a lukewarm response to the whole theme thing.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I re-express my previous opinion. I think the new themes give players more than the old themes did for less. If people thought they added to the flavor and RP, great! I would so be in favor of that. I feel like people want the mechanics. I might be swayed if people proposed some locally flavored themes to accompany the generic.

Not that I have a vote.

twilsemail

First Post
I actually don't think it'd be a bad idea to make themes out of L4W's regions. It'd get us a handful of themes that people can choose from in addition to those in D399 & D400.

Luinnar

First Post
I re-express my previous opinion. I think the new themes give players more than the old themes did for less. If people thought they added to the flavor and RP, great! I would so be in favor of that. I feel like people want the mechanics. I might be swayed if people proposed some locally flavored themes to accompany the generic.
Themes can give good ideas for new players for their character. Being able to be a werewolf or a wererat (Neverwinter themes) would be loads of fun for a player at level 1 roleplaying wise. It also could be used to add flavor to old characters. I planned on having my bard be a Knight Hospitaler, complete with boyscout like merit badge. At level 5 he will have a lot of fun barging into mansions and demanding free room and board ;)

Also my fighter's backstory has not really been established. He is level 7, but how did he get his fighting skills if he is only a knight of the imaginary kingdom of Draconia? If he takes the mercenary theme, I plan on having him be part of an old mercenary group; but he refuses to talk about it because that part of his life does not fulfill his "knight in shining armor" persona he is trying to display.

I thought of a Hanged Man tavern patron theme, but since the Adventurer's Theme looked good, I did not post it. (it was 1. Encounter: re-roll one damage dice) 5. +1/tier healing surge value, +2 perception. 10. +1 to death saving throws, +2 to endurance.)

Jade Kingdom themes can be re-flavored Kara Tur Oriental themes coming in future Dragon articles.

If themes are passed we could always come up with more generic themes as well :)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I'm in it for the flavorful mechanics. ;)

I'm going to ping the other judges just so we at least have a discussion w/o this sputtering off like the last one.

(Ominous Chanting)

[MENTION=6078]garyh[/MENTION], [MENTION=57255]Lord Sessadore[/MENTION], [MENTION=79620]Ozymandias79[/MENTION], [MENTION=82251]TwoHeadsBarking[/MENTION], and @H.M. Gimlord. By the Power of Greyskull, I have the power!

garyh

First Post
I'm torn. I liked the Dark Sun power-swap styled theme structure more than the Dragon "freebie at levels 5 and 10" style.

garyh

First Post
I've only looked a bit at the Dragon themes. Didn't recall power swaps, but that's cool. Haven't seen the Neverwinter themes yet.

covaithe

Explorer
Here are some things I'd like to see before being willing to vote yes on a themes-themed proposal (seewutIdidthere...)

• A viable set of options for those of us who don't pay for DDI. There have been some promising suggestions in this thread, but it would be nice to have more than 2-3 choices...
  • a general consensus that all the options that will become legal are reasonably balanced. (Dark Sun themes fail this at the moment, IMO)
  • ? I dunno. I still have a general "meh" feeling about the whole concept. I'm probably willing to ignore that.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[MENTION=82643]CaBaNa[/MENTION] posted a few over in LEB we didn't use. Didn't look at them, so I can't comment on balance (we only have the one default over in LEB):

Sub-proposal, another theme to go with twils.

Renaissance Person

Level 1
Philosophers Lean
You realize that you just don't know, or can't reason. So you ask a friend to do it for you.
Encounter *No Action*
Close burst 5
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: You roll a d20 for an arcana, dungeoneering, history, nature, religion, diplomacy, intimidate, or bluff check and dislike the result.
Effect: One ally in the burst can reroll the check for you, using their modifier in place of yours. You must use their result.

Level 5
Renaissance Learner
Choose one: gain another language (not supernal), or +1 to a skill you are already trained in.

Level 10
Artisan Talent
Gain training in any one skill.

Grew up near The Hanged Man Hobgoblin

Level 1
Duck and Cover
Years of witnessing the carnage near the Hanged Man make you quick on your feet.
Encounter *Move Action*
Close burst 2
You or two allies in the burst.
Gain +2 to all defenses TSNT, and the next time the target shifts before TENT they gain a +1 power bonus to the distance of that shift.

Level 5
The Hanged Man Story Hour
Gain +1 to diplomacy, bluff, and intimidate, once per day reroll any of the aforementioned skills.

Level 10
Heard Tell
Gain +2 to history checks, and training in one skill chosen from arcana, dungeoneering, history, nature, religion.

Ex-Guard

Level 1
Street Experience
Countless street fights taught you to make that first shot count.
Encounter *No Action*
Trigger: You hit with an at-will or basic attack
Effect: The attack weakens the target TENT, and does an extra 2/5/10 per tier.

Level 5
Every cities the same.
+2 to streetwise checks, and +1 to perception to find something specific.

Level 10
I know what you've done wrong.
+2 to insight, intimidate checks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases