Proposal/Discussion Allow Themes

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I've only looked a bit at the Dragon themes. Didn't recall power swaps, but that's cool. Haven't seen the Neverwinter themes yet.
The Neverwinter, DDI, and DS themes are now all in the Character Builder (only the powers are in the Compendium).

twilsemail

First Post
True, but most of the ones that are imbalanced are underpowered instead of over-powered. Do any, in particular, stand out as over-powered to you? I tend to avoid CharOp so I've not seen what's on the top of the charts at the moment.

I'd be more than willing to, on my own or as part of a group, work on a number of themes for L4W if it would open the option to the community. I like more options in combat (though I don't think the new feats provide those as much) and I like more support for a concept.

Perhaps something like the following?:

Proposal: Allow themes as presented in Dragon 399 when at least 5 custom themes have been accepted by the L4W judges.

renau1g

First Post
From what I've seen the most common themes chosen are the Noble Adept from DSCS. I believe the Order Adept from Dragon seemed like it could grant a free wizard daily to a non-wizard , unless they cleaned up the wording of the theme.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
New opinion. At the end of the day, the two extra abilities that the new dragon styled themes offer are relatively minor. I prefer the old Dark Sun Style themes but obviously Wizards of the Coast disagrees with me. I think as long as there are some viable options for non DDI players we should allow all themes. If we see one or two options that will melt our face, we can ban them individually.

It's easy to optimize without themes, and themes are becoming a major source of new, flavorful content, that allows hybrid-like, complex character without potentially poor mechanics. Especially in play by post, where players have time to really consider there actions and can "memorize" all their teamates options, themes will not be the thing that breaks the game. In addition, since its PbP, DMs have even more time to respond and "improvise" should something need to become more challenging.

I know in a previous discussion I offered to write some themes specific to L4W, and I will have to table that offer at the moment, as I am currently writing a book (I was not doing this before).

Luinnar

First Post
As I said before I would be happy to think of some themes either on my own or as part of the group :)

Here are two I thought of:
Hanged Man Tavern Patron:
Level 1
A Trick I picked Up
Encounter *No Action*
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: You roll damage for an attack you make, but dislike the result.
Effect: Re-roll one dice, you must take the second result, even if it is lower.

Level 5:
Know How To Stay Out Of Trouble
+1/tier healing surge value, +2 to perception.

Level 10:
I've Drank Worse
+1 to death saving throws, +2 to endurance.
Samurai of The Kingdom of Jade:
Level 1
An Oath to Protect
Encounter *Minor Action*
Burst 5
One conscious ally in the burst.
Effect: You swear an oath to protect the target with your life. This lasts until the end of the encounter or until the Oath Sworn target dies (whichever happens first). You can use the following ability once per encounter:

Bodyguard
Encounter *Immediate Interrupt*
Burst 1
Trigger:Your Oath Sworn ally takes damage from an attack that does not include you.
Effect: The ally takes half damage from the attack, you take the other half the ally would have taken. This damage cannot be reduced by any means.

Level 5:
Honor Bound to Serve
You get +4 to heal checks to grant a second wind, stabilize dying or to grant a saving throw to your Oath Sworn target.

Level 10:
In Honor We Stand
You and your Oath Sworn target gains +1 to defenses when you are adjacent to each other.

Last edited:

twilsemail

First Post
Level 5:
Know How To Stay Out Of Trouble
+1/tier healing surge value, +2 to perception.

I think this might be better represented with either a bonus to initiative or a +1 bonus to all defenses in the first round of combat.

A bonus to surges mostly means you'll survive a fight, not avoid it.

Other than that, these look alright to me. I might make the Samurai level 10 feature a power bonus, though.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
I agree that there should be a theme for people without DDI subscriptions, and I guess it would be nice if there were a choice of themes for them as well. However, I don't think that official themes and custom themes should be in the same proposal, because it is really going to slow things down.

It doesn't make sense to have official themes be delayed while we attempt to create and balance a number of custom themes. Should all themes ever be held up because I think the level 1 power on CaBaNa's Ex-Guard theme is a little too good, or because there's disagreement whether Know How To Stay Out Of Trouble should give a bonus to initiative or perception? No. That's a little silly. What we should do is approve (or disapprove) themes in general now, and then look at more custom themes as people submit them.

So yes to Luinnar's proposal here, which allows non-DS themes and twilsemail's Adventurer theme.

renau1g

First Post
I agree that there should be a theme for people without DDI subscriptions, and I guess it would be nice if there were a choice of themes for them as well. However, I don't think that official themes and custom themes should be in the same proposal, because it is really going to slow things down.

It doesn't make sense to have official themes be delayed while we attempt to create and balance a number of custom themes. Should all themes ever be held up because I think the level 1 power on CaBaNa's Ex-Guard theme is a little too good, or because there's disagreement whether Know How To Stay Out Of Trouble should give a bonus to initiative or perception? No. That's a little silly. What we should do is approve (or disapprove) themes in general now, and then look at more custom themes as people submit them.

So yes to Luinnar's proposal here, which allows non-DS themes and twilsemail's Adventurer theme.

I concur. YES to the linked Luinnar proposal

Remove ads