Animal Companion Leveling

Talonblaze

First Post
Vegepygmy said:
This has nothing to do with training dumb animals; you're just talking about interacting with "people" (which, in a fantasy world, may include all kinds of "people" it normally wouldn't, like dragons and pegasi).

I'll admit it: I'm completely lost. I have no idea what point you're trying to make here, or what question you're really asking me. Parrots (in real life) don't actually speak; they just mimic sounds. If there are stats for parrots in D&D somewhere, point me to them and maybe I'll learn something.

Mostly the point of, if dragons and other beasts were 'people' why are you unable to use Handle Animal on humanoids or such? Why are those kinds an exception? They are smart beings are they not? Handle Animal should be useless in any way shape or form just like it would be trying to use it on a Commoner.
Although parrots* 'mimic' so do humans. We just mimic what we are taught. It wouldn't be unlikely that if a parrot wanted food they could be trained to vocalize such just like a dog showing it needs out by sitting near the door. (*If I find the stats, you'll be the first to know.)

Vegepygmy said:
Those are all good questions, and I have no idea what the DMG authors were thinking, so I can't answer them.

Well this unfortunately poses a problem for both of us. They used to have the Q&A section of the site but its no longer available to be used for 3.5 stuff if I recall. Which sadly this point could be the key factor for either side.

Vegepygmy said:
Its type, however, does change to magical beast.

Which does what exactly? Just change a type? Because as far as I read, the stats for a magical beast are tied in with the type. Which greatly improve the creature. I highly doubt a +1 stat point would change that. Surprised the issue hasn't come up for companions before, with such an issue it would be pretty notable for any animal companion character. (Also begs me to wonder what happened if you cast Tongues on an animal, what would happen?)

-------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Upon browsing Wizard's older archives, most notably their FAQ section of the rules I found this:
WotC Sage said:
Can an animal increase its Intelligence when it gains an ability score increase at every 4 Hit Dice? If its Int increases beyond 2, does it become a magical beast?
The Sage recommends that the DM not allow an animal (or any nonintelligent creature) to increase its Intelligence via HD advancement except as a very special case. Even the biggest
18-HD viper in the jungle shouldn’t be able to have an Intelligence of 4.
Regardless, an animal’s type doesn’t change simply due to an Intelligence increase

Last edited:

Remove ads