Designing a City for Supers - is my sandbox big enough?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Definitely looks like you've put a lot of thought into this. Do you play video games? Check out a game like GTA or Saints Row. You can explore the map at your leisure.

I haven't played video games since the early days of Atari (Space Invaders and Asteroids - LOL!) but I'm going to check if my nephew has those games and take a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Here's the last draft of the Grimm City Overview Map. I will be posting a final (and larger image) version on my blog later tonight. Now comes the fun part - filling in the details and building a full street level map! B-)
[sblock]
grimmcity00004b.png

[/sblock]
Edit: The larger poster size map is now up on my blog: Just Add Heroes: Grimm City Overview Map

Last edited:

Without reading all the above posts I am thinking a key element in this is- What powers / power level?

Thinking along the lines of specific characters in current comics-

Superman Nope

Batman Yup

Flash funny

Captain America doesn't stay in one area

Hulk make more maps... each story will destroy the current one

Spider-man possibly

Dare devil very much so

So.... what kind of characters? What kind of plots? What kind of adventures / missions?

Villian types?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Without reading all the above posts I am thinking a key element in this is- What powers / power level?

Right now, I'm envisioning Grimm City as a Silver Age setting, but with hints of something darker. I want Batman, Superman and Spider-Man -type characters to all feel equally comfortable living here. And equally a home for teams of PC heroes like JLA, X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four - all of that could be possible too.

In retrospect, I'm not sure "sandbox" was the best term for me to use here originally. I'm leaning more towards "city as megadungeon" now. A setting that can serve as a home base, but not limiting as to where adventures can take place across the multiverse. Janx started a great thread about this a couple of weeks ago where I explain myself more.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Now that the overview map is done, I've been working on the detailed street level map of Grimm City. I've completed the city grid and next up will be the less "planned" streets in the older areas of the city that had their paths determined by the local geography and necessity, mostly along the river's edge and coastline. And I haven't touched the areas north of the Triton River yet.

[sblock]
grimmtest00005.png

[/sblock]

And here's a close up to see the detail:
[sblock]
grimmcitydetailsample2.png

[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases