Legacy of Death Part II: Graves of Lesser Immortals

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
tcambridge.jpg

You have spent weeks at Watercross College, one of the great collection of scholars and their sometimes barely tolerable students on the North continent. Your base is the old house of both Nar-Heru and Bart, Melkar House, which seems to cater to those less in the main-stream of things.

You all enjoy time spent not getting stabbed, burned, poisoned, forcefully teleported, or falling, starving, freezing or having your soul sucked out. Long term injuries, pushed over with incredible levels of adrenaline (or “will power”), slowly heal, new power and techniques are researched and tentatively practiced, and great quantities of ale, wine, rare brandies, and various pipe weeds (depending…) are all consumed.

Bart’s Head, and who may have taken it (and wider implications?): You make contact with professor Douven Stoul, who Bart helped rescue about 9 months ago. He and others aren't exactly sure who the killer were, or to be more accurate, they have too many ideas in terms of motive and race, but little to link back to actual events. Vengefull cultists of Orcus or Vecna could be somehow connected... (there are also Barts letters, below, and Buckthorn’s memories of Paldemar).

[sblock=Bart Letters]
Bart said:
Dear Buckthorn,
I hope this finds you well.

Again, I must apologize for my absence in the Well of Demons. I allowed myself to be consumed by a distraction that drove me to the edge of my mind and has now consumed much of my personnel fortune.

However, I know believe that this was not all in vein. I hope you can trust me enough to embark on another adventure, one that will take you across much of the known lands and bring us to one of the most infamous sites in them.

I can add little more know. One must be careful with these things. But great wealth and fortune await, as does the defeat of an old evil that may not be as bound as some thought.

It is my hope that Forge at least and perhaps Lucian can still be found in Thunderspire. It would also be nice to find another healer. So hard to keep a good healer. If you can gather them, please take them to Northall. At the Hare and Cap, on the Street of Scribes, I will make further contact.

Fear note, brave Halfling! All that is asked is a trip to a near city and a chance to reunite with old friends.

With Sincerity
Bart

Bart said:
Dear Buckthorn
If my most expensive divinations are correct, you have gathered our companions and are wondering what this is all about.

I have taken the initiative, and will be on my way to Borovostok. I encourage you to meet me there. For in the nearby wildlands is one of the great ruins that has challenged treasure seekers and lore hunters for centuries. I believe I know where it is, and more importantly that we can survive the adventure!

And I have grown concerned that something stirs, something in the dark and shadow. It has haunted me

But enough of that. You must act in most trust of what I say, clearly a daunting proposal. However, we did have fine adventures and saved one another many times. I hope that is enough to undertake what I ask.

To start, find a ship heading to Borovostok. It will be much faster then overland travel.

With Sincerity
Bart
[/sblock]

[sblock=Paldemar]

Buckthorn said:
Regarding Paldemar, Buckthorn will explain to Nar-Heru and Ghen about the party's adventures in the Thunderspire and Seven-Pillared Hall - and will recap briefly how he, Rafa, Bart, Forge, and Zhuva (he pauses for a moment as he mentions his fallen friends) had braved the labyrinths of the Thunderspire fighting Druegar, Gnolls, skeletal minotaurs, and other nasty beasties in an effort to find and free slaves (including Buckthorn's kin) who had been taken prisoner. He will explain how the party found and defeated Kalerel Krand in the Chamber of Eyes. He will also tell the party of Paldemar's treachery and how Oronator, the Masked Mage of Saruun of the Seven-Pillared Hall, had given the party a reward for tracking down and bringing Paldemar, the Mage to justice.

He will explain how Paldemar was behind the mischief in the Seven-Pillared hall and had apparently been engaged in some horrible ritual which Zhuva believed was an attempt to reconstitute the Well of Demons and the Temple to Bhahamet and how Paldemar had tried to kill the party when we started to thwart his heinous plans.

Buckthorn will recount how the party tracked Paldemar to the shrine of Vecna and how they slew him there in a brutal battle that left two of their comrades dead. Buckthorn will mention that the vision of the skull that he saw in a crystal orb, which turned out to be somewhat of a premonition of the disembodied skull of the demi-lich, had appeared when Buckthorn touched a crystal orb in the study of an evil mage named Paldemar.
[/sblock]

After some time, personal possibilities…rivals, former lovers, etc, are ruled out. Those that Bart harmed in past adventures were harmed so well that they are also seen as unlikely (though some link cannot be ruled out per se). Bart’s own ramblings and fears seem to point to the tome now being studied by Nar-Heru (as noted below). And Douven is confident that the book is key, at least as motive.

Douvan, summarizes (and responds on Buckthorn’s revelations on Paldemar)

'Whatever dark magic and lore the book contains' (looks at Nar)

'Possibly including strange means to access the Shadow parts of the Aether' (looks at Lucian)

'Could be a great draw for those that knew of it and its possessor'
(he then looks at both tiefling and elf...)

Ahhm.

'But your description of strange beings, and the nature of the decapitation, both narrows but also obscures possible suspects'

'These beings could be a little known race
(looks at Ghen through the window to the courtyard)'

'Or even have extra-thraeyan origins' (back at Lucian).

'I am afraid that without more facts, there may be little more to learn here'. (looks at Buckthorn balancing on the edge of Forges sheild, as the dwarf holds it over his head, for no particular reason).

He picks up his glass of tea, then looks back at the halfling, now walking on his hands as Forge and others clap.

'Now this vision in Paldemar scrying device that may be linked back to Acererak...that is something'

'And, I vaguely remember, Bart thought Paldemar knew of the book. Possible by various means, or just paranio'
(last look at Nar)

'Ah, a bit cold' (and he takes his leave).

The Reward: The 400 gp, for salvaging the Siren, owned by Adolphus Brandt, captained by Tellard, that sailed from Northall to Borivostok and stopped in Dussleburg. One option is finding a portal to Borivostok, but that, if at all possible, may be expensive, and do you really want to go back? Short of that, (or just sailing back) it may be possible to send a message by courier or herald (or other means). The Brandt’s may also have a trading network, with agents in various cities. It should be noted however that those (of you) most able to follow up on these possible leads have shown limited interest in doing so. Of course, as your gold slowly runs down…who knows.

Forge: Alvrax (is that his real name?) the Artificer relieves you of both the cursed gem and the original magic of your waraxe, but leaves you with a Waraxe of Terror in turn. Your exotic weapon and willingness to talk at great length about your exploits leads you further to Krondos, a dwarven sage and master of arms at Old Kings. Krondos is a keen student of battle, and hence worthy of respect, but the other dwarves here, especially in Creator House…up tight and not in a good way.

From Krondos you learn of the enigmatically named Kulkor style (they like to use big words like enigmatic here and debate about were names like Kulkor come from). The Kulkors may very well have been a nasty, close fighting band of dwarves, though their style is now popular with wandering war bands of various types. If only you could get Lucian to practice it with you more, rather then skulking and sulking about. In any case, between the profs, the students, and your own general tendencies you manage to burn through a good amount of gold in your weeks here.

Buckthorn: You dutifully follow up on the reward, what may have happened to Bart, and ways of improving your archery. You realize that a new bow may be costly even given your new treasures, but there is room for you to improve your own focus and expertise with the weapon. In any case, you find yourself missing the open road and your kin, and prepare to journey in time for the holy days that will end this year and start the next. You carefully set aside some gold for the journey, use some buying drinks to learn more of merchant houses, and ‘lend’ more to Forge for the copious drinks of his own.

Ghen-Uia Nis: You learn of the unique nature of the mace of disruption, and that even, say, Alvrax the Artificer, can not change or transfer its properties. But perhaps powerful divine magic can. There are certainly priests here, including those associated with Varun and other gods of good, (here being Watercross, not Melkar house, who’s “chaplain” seems to become less open once he learns of your dislike of the undead) but they and their ways are a bit different then yours. It is up to you to pursue the matter further.

As a member of a rare race with exotic shamanistic powers, manifested in a personal manner, you realize that others are, in good ways and bad, quite curious about you. This may become tiring. The Halfling seems to be planning on leaving. It also seems expensive here, especially with all the money being “lent” to Forge.

Lucian: ah yes, the many rare and expensive ways to leave this world and possibly travel to others. (see the attachment here for more on those other “worlds”). The easiest is through the Shadow and Fey energies of the Aether (or Faery as it is prosaically known). As interesting as that might be, it seems another good way to get lost. There is also “astral projection” to the Sea beyond the Stars. Expensive, rare, and another good way to not get were you want to go. More intriguing are ships and other vehicles that can sale that distant sea. Just need the ship and navigator that knows where to go.

Opening a planar portal may be the trick. But it takes a great deal of rare and expensive kit (components), a right powerful wizard or rare and expensive scroll, and, again, you have got to have some idea of where to go (the sigils or keys for the distant portal). You are short pretty much across the board here.

Finally, there are the legendary and of rumored links to other worlds where your own two feet can take you. And it is the City of Doors, right…(make a streetwise check for bonus information).

Otherwise it’s a most fruitful exploration of your own shadow powers—accelerated perhaps by the contact with the dire demi-lich and augmented by all the chit chat one can pick up here just hanging about (though the nethermancer and Melkar house chaplain can even seem a bit creepy to you); and a frustrating search for info on Bart’s decapitator (as noted above). Gold is spent as needed, but certainly not given to any inebriated dwarves.

Nar-Heru (and the Tome): You spend some time on things noted above and learn some new rituals (see email). But you spend a great deal of your time delving further into the book. Its dark secrets seem to have little bounds, and you believe now there is far more contained within then you originally suspected. Much of it is of course written in ciphers, runes, and forgotten tongues, so it is slow going. And, as you suspected before, the book itself seems to have some control on what you “find” in it and what you don’t.

To review: Taken by Bart from Kalarel, an evil high preist of Orcus trying to open a shadow rift into the realm of the Dead, the book was originally found in the Tomb of Horrors, and probably used by Acererak. Clearly cobbled together from various books and manuscripts—not an unknown practice by itself—it has the journals of Simon Amber who took it from the Tomb and just escaped with his life. Something must have happened between when Amber had it and Kalarel got it.

The notes from Amber were used in the Tomb, and you now see others, in the margins and here and there…

'I am lucky to be alive, and to have the means to return through magic. It seems amazing that I have retrieved this book, but it will be my memento and evidence that I survived the Tomb.

'It is clear that Acererak was in fact “demi-lich”, destroyed in body, but free in its corrupted spirit, and capable of finding much dire lore.

'There is much strange planar lore here! Long debated theories confirmed, and more revealed.'

And of course, there are the powers and rituals you know have access to from it. You also happen to spend a fare amount of gold, but hardly notice. You do feel a very gentle nudge to apply the dark lore you are amassing, but its still pretty weak.

Last edited:

dyermaker001

Explorer
Happy to be back in the civilized world of Watercross, while enjoying the many benefits of a warm bed and ample wine, Nar-Heru continues to study the book for writings of Simon Amber after he left the tomb and before he lost the book, and will also begin to read some of the strange planar lore. Once he masters the comprehend language ritual he will use it when necessary to help decipher the book, as well as his history and arcana training.

Buckthorn

First Post
Buckthorn will spend some time back in his village and will visit his nephew Noldo and the other halflings and check to see how they are getting on after their release from slavery.

After feasting well with his friends and family and regalling them with tales of the Tomb of Horrors and the... well... horrors there, which need no embellishment, Buckthorn will return to Watercross and seek out his friends Forge, Ghen, and Nar-Heru.

On his way back to Watercross, he will think about any other connections or facts he could share with Professor Douvan or the party that may link Paldemar to Bart's death.

Right now he can't think of any... other than the fact that Paldemar had hired Tieflings to kill the party in the Seven Pillared Hall and that the party had found a note on the bodies of the Tieflings instructing them "I don't care how you do it... take care of the adventurers and bring the bodies to the gnolls." - signed "P" which the party later learned was Paldemar. So certainly Paldemar had been capable of hiring assassins and had tried to kill the party in the past. Maybe Paldemar had hired other assassins before we finished off Paldemar... but Buckthorn doesn't think that likely.

He is particularly interested to learn if Nar-Heru has learned anything from the book that Bart left and he is determined to find Bart' killer or killers and bring them to justice.

Flaming Bob

First Post
'Possibly including strange means to access the Shadow parts of the Aether' (looks at Lucian)

'Could be a great draw for those that knew of it and its possessor'
(he then looks at both tiefling and elf...)

After conferring with the Arch-wizard, Lucien approaches Nar: "you see anything in that tome about a City of Doors, a Cage, or a passage using 'sigil' as though it were a proper place, let a blood know, eh?"

The Reward: The 400 gp, for salvaging the Siren, owned by Adolphus Brandt, captained by Tellard, that sailed from Northall to Borivostok and stopped in Dussleburg. One option is finding a portal to Borivostok, but that, if at all possible, may be expensive, and do you really want to go back? Short of that, (or just sailing back) it may be possible to send a message by courier or herald (or other means). The Brandt’s may also have a trading network, with agents in various cities. It should be noted however that those (of you) most able to follow up on these possible leads have shown limited interest in doing so. Of course, as your gold slowly runs down…who knows.

As the intrepid Dwarf and ranger seem eager to bankrupt us while we're in town, the thief begins putting out feelers both on and off campus for local agents that Brandt's shipping service may have nearby. If there are, an attempt will be made to contact them and arrange payment.

Lucian: ah yes, the many rare and expensive ways...the easiest is through the Shadow and Fey...There is also “astral projection”...More intriguing are ships and other vehicles that can sale that distant sea.

At this news, Lucien slowly slumps to the floor. "No, no, no, no...none of that works! Pike me, I'm never gettin' off this sodding rock."

Opening a planar portal may be the trick. But it takes a great deal of rare and expensive kit (components), a right powerful wizard or rare and expensive scroll, and, again, you have got to have some idea of where to go (the sigils or keys for the distant portal). You are short pretty much across the board here.

At this point, there's a slight perk to his otherwise dreary mood, "Yes, possible. Probably have to rob half the..."

Finally, there are the legendary and of rumored links to other worlds where your own two feet can take you. And it is the City of Doors, right…(make a streetwise check for bonus information).

Lucien suddenly gets VERY QUIET at this little revelation.

After the mage takes his leave, Lucien makes a line for the door into town. As it appears we may be here for a bit while research is made, there should be trouble worth getting into and new shady friends to be made. A concerted effort will be put into finding local gangs and criminal groups moving through the city. If one can make contact with the higher ups in said group...

Much is asked of the researchers on campus regarding planar travel, with leading questions regarding the "City of Doors" mentioned.

this is, of course before Buckthorn leaves.

"Little Brother, before you head out, what happened with the device that gave you your vision. We give that back to the wizards, or is it still down there?"

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ghen-Uia Nis: (from an email exchange) Motivated by your angelic calling (and whither is that call coming?), you brave the Watercross Theology crowd. There are many chapels and some impressive temples, with cunning arches and buttresses, fine statuary, cleverly illustrated and closely guarded holy books, and elaborate stained glass windows. You also find that there are many here that have religious knowledge, but little divine power. Your instincts tell you very clearly that many look down on your limited book learning, even as you have great power they do not. (Again, there is the Melkar House chaplain, and he can certainly do somethings, but you are not really sure if they are divine in nature and you two just sort of avoid each other, with a polite “well-met” as he carries bags of bones in his purple ichored hands.)

But then, someone comes to you (prayers answered?). A priest, and retired cleric, Jameson Walkright, a chaplain at Wanderer House (which, probably do to its normality, is despised in Melkar House) and appropriately cleric of Pathar. A talkative human from the Westfen highlands (wherever that that might be), he tries to get as much your story out as he can…assuming you share some…in all his time he has never seen another one of “your kind”, though he jokes about werewolves (you have gotten use to this sort of thing, and he seems good natured about it). Klag was a passing acquaintance—“you never forget a cleric like that!”—and the talk reminds you that Klag himself had mentioned the Shadow Coast, in which you had just adventured, and its lost dwarven holds and that it is a sad and dangerous place. He shows visible concern when you start going on about giants, much more so then when you talk about “we”.

Destroying the undead and the mighty mace of disruption return his good spirits. He is intrigued by transference to the sword, even though the mace of disruption has always been a mace…but a divine calling should supersede that, even if mere arcane magic cannot. And of course, a greatsword of disruption would be a unique and impressive thing, a near relic and approaching pricelessness. He does some research, and feels that a ritual may be devised. It will take two things, beyond the ritual itself and the clerics (you two) to perform it:

1) A true heart, to use the new weapon in a right way

2) 1440 gp worth of components.

Buckthorn: You are still in Watercross. But you hope for those things. Your village, as you know, is across the Rift of Retribution, in the Nearblight on a road to Auldshyre that your wandering ancestors eventually stopped going down. As the holidays near, there are groups of students heading home, you can probably join one, at least most of the way to Northall (about 150 miles though easy terrain, then another 60 or so through much rougher country after that, but not a great challenge for you).

Lucian: Your “luck” continues, at least the skill is there…

Looking for trouble, Melkar house seems to be it. Oh, there are some cut-purses among the “townies” as they are called, but that’s not very interesting. Of course, everything worth anything here is hidden by an illusion wrapped in an enchantment guarded by a deadly rune. (And the truth is, the nightmares of falling in spiked pits, sliding down a slide into an inferno, and a floating deadly skull haven’t gone away..you aren’t ready again for real trouble quite yet.) (EDIT: on first read, I didn't get that he was looking for a capo...given your roll, the answer here and below doesn't change much)

The Brandt’s aren’t too active here, but in a ranting by some pub goer on this topic “ye need a real city, like Queenseat or Northall or…” you realize the obvious. By the standards of this rock, Northall is a major city--with which you are familiar, even knowing some portals a wizard can link to--and it is where you hired the ship. And its on Buckthorns way. And they way to the seven-pillared hall, where the mages probably have the cracked orb.

On the City of Doors, Nar is vaguely familiar, though, again, taking a shadow path there would be a long and strange trip. In terms of a more direct route, you again confirm the obvious. Any such portal, leading to a place with so many other portals, would be of incalculable value and guarded like nothing else. And one with the convenience of Watercross, all the more so. Just as in Northall, you know they are around…you just know it…you just have little hope of finding one.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
(OoC: see end of next post!)

Ghen and Jameson perform the ritual on the holy day of Varun, creating the first greatsword of disruption.

Then, perhaps realizing that little more was to be achieved in Watercross, but still very much recuperating from the travel and terror of previous months, a portal is opened to a basement in an obscure tavern in Northall.

With Lucian and Forge, perhaps still recovering from their own special celebration of the feast of Varun, unusually quite, Buckthorn takes the lead in searching for an agent of the Brandt’s, starting with the Kraken, the dive were the Siren was hired. Soon enough they stand before another halfling, Mr. Woolseye, and agent of said family. Things seem to go well, but Mr. Woolseye will need to do the proper paperwork for them to claim the reward.

The, both nominally “good”, cleric and wizard have none of this, and proceed to call spirit and fire to terrify the Halfling. So, in a terrified, sputtering, he still confirms the proper paperwork needs to be done.

All take their leave, and in the meantime, at Buckthorn’s invitation, travel through the Nearblight to Buckthorn’s home village, Splintertoe Hollow. Greated as heroes for freeing villagers from duergar slavers and gnoll cultists in Thunderspire Labyrinth, a fine time is had by all, or at least Buckthorn, maybe Lucian and Nar. And Forge, who has never really experienced a true, raucous solstice, and its celebrations of the birth of the of moon and sun goddesses, and gifts and libations, of course St Festivus, and the dark, Final Night of the year, most raccous of all, the torch and bonfire filled feastnight of the goddess of change and chaos. (Dwarves save their “celebrating” for the First Day of the new year, “feast” day of the lawful creator god, were they grimly contemplate how they will do more work then the last year). Furry Ghen does draw much attention from the adorable halfling children, but for some reason seems not to appreciate it fully. Joy or no joy, it is now year 545 of the current age.

Seven-PillaredHallView.jpg

On the way back to Northall, a stop is made in the Seven Pillared Hall deep inside Thunderspire. The mages, still appreciative of the help received in unmasking Paldemar, dutifully allow the party to examine the strange orb that Buckthorn glimpsed through sometime back. There is one difference: no skull is seen. And everyone now seems hung-over, and can’t see much in general through it. The mages haven’t the slightest what killed Bart, but rule out the usual suspects in their underworld.

Back with Mr. Woolseye, the reward is handed out (80 gp to each party member), but he notes, somewhat unsteadily, that there was an odd message, and could the band just wait a bit more to receive another message or messager? They wait. Weeks pass. Ghen and Buckthorn enjoy the Cathedral of Good, Temple of Law and other sights about the impressive High Temple. Forge and Lucian conduct “business research” of one kind or another around the aptly named Low Temple, which has its (in)famous and revealing Temple of Lueshatar and Yavara…and other things that the two may find of interest. Nar, the extent to which he leaves the book at all, finds the Street of Scribes and the smallish Northall College.

Eventually, Mr. Felix arrives. And he has an offer. Caravans have been disappearing along a major trade route, a well maintained and cobbled road built in the time of the old Illumarian Empire. The Great Forest, which lies to its north, is suspected. But this is a strange extensive disruption with few credible survivors. Only with great effort does the Brandt and other families learn that a Fey graveyard is involved. Assuming there could be such a thing.

With some hard bargaining, a reward of 2000 gp is agreed (10% paid upfront, 50 each) and the band eventually sets out: portal to Melkar House, then overland by Phantom Stead from Westland to le pays au nord duVaerdun, and specifically Calvaedee, known for its white wine. As the 5 magically ride into this land, they notice many going the other way. A herald stops them “Pardon messieurs” and informs them of another reward, for the head of a great burrowing beast that is terrorizing the land. From the fleeing peasants, they hear “shark de la terre”

GoL_Bulette.jpg

The first bullette that burst among them was the size of a horse. The second and third closer to large elephants. They made deep furrows, had a vicious bite, and could leap, but Forge and the rest of the party limited these capabilities, and slay two before the third escaped. The smaller one was portalled back to Melkar House with a note. The great head of the third was carried back to the Marquis du Calveadee. The half-elf aristocrat gave a reward of 1000 gp (200 each) and a feast in their honor.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
(See OoC at end of post!)

On the 7th day of the 3rd month of 545, they arrive in the forrest. It lives up to its name. Clear light and sharp contrast followed by eery mists. Deep woods and vegatation that can barely be seen through by meadows and widely spaced trees towering far into the sky. A sense of both age and youthful vigor somehow coexist.

They look for signs, and Ghen sees the first, out of place ribonlike cloth, one after another…

The sounds ofthe forest begin to shift around you, subtly at first but then with increasing intensity. You can almost hear words in the songs ofthe birds and whispers in the rustling leaves ofthe trees. Ahead of you, a number of trees wow together in a sing1e clump, as though shunning the company ofthe rest of theforest. Their branches cross and meld overhead, forming a perfect arch, wide enoughfor two horses side by side.

There's magie here; you can sense it. The arch of branches sways gently as though touched by a breeze, but no wind blows past you. Theforest is clear, but when you
peer through the arch, the trees are faintly obscured by a thin yet pervasive mist. Surely, what lies through the arch of branches is another location-perhaps even another world.

Lucian goes first.

You feel a sudden lurch, as though you were falling, but the feeling passes even as you find yourself tensing up. You're standing on a narrow trail, which runs through thick grass.

The air is redolent with the scent of greenery. Trees loom over you, with vines and heavy foliage strung between them. Everything seems abnormally clear: Colors are
brighter, sounds are sharper, and objects-for lack of any better way of thinking about it-are more real.

They have passed deeper into the Aether.

The party advances. After some hours, they see three elf maidens lying. Somewhat oddly, on the ground in a clearing, arranged around a big rock. The rock draws a great deal of suspicion. But it’s the harpies that deserve it, especially when they swoop down to attack. The maiden’s then rise up, and join the attack, their sudden great woody claws revealing a druidic nature. Still not exactly an expected enemy. One dryad-elf wields a powerful bow, and the harpies occasionally command with their call, or make a powerful thunder blast, but mostly just claw, and not very effectively. They are even less effective after Nar-Heru starts to put some of them to sleep.

When they do die, the harpies and dryads somehow reanimate and become sickly grey mist oozing undead, fighting on for a bit longer. Of course, some don’t die, they just flee instead.

Forge—Forge?!—takes the initiative to capture one. She confirms she is of the forest, lies badly, finally reverts to druid form, and then says something about ivy…and that there is no hope. Even Ghen attacking a tree does not get more out of her. She is left tied to that rock.

Buckthorn takes the bow.

That night, a head appears in the campfire of the party. It looks incredulously about, and begins an introduction in fits and starts, perhaps surprised by who he sees. Ghen and Lucian, and mostly Ghen, are having none of it, insisting the head get on with whatever it has to say. This not appreciated, and it vanishes.

treant.jpg

The next day, Ghen feels like he is being followed…but he can’t really tell by what. Lucian hangs back. A big gnarly tree walks by him. The twisted somewhat undead treant begins slamming into Ghen. Is it coincidence? In any case, it is soon the fire wielding elf that draws the great tree’s ire as he does it the most harm. And the treant pursues the elf, running after him at one point, and bringing him to the edge of death. The treant also knocks out Ghen for good measure. Buckthorn revises Ghen and the elf, and in turn Ghen dismisses to tree to a deeper part of the Aether. Lucian (?!?) is the one who takes position next to the Treant (though he does have his cape to help him escape the grasping roots of the tree). This allows them to save the elf, again, and make their escape. This time.

That night, the head reappears. The Gray Elf Paelias is more careful with his wording and gets right to the point, congratulating them in surviving the treant, noting he is from somewhere called the Quit Hall, and offering them a reward for cleaning the fey burial ground of its corruption.

Now they just need to get to it. Ghen calls forth a raven, a veritable paragon of its species, and as the bird appears, Ghen knows to say to it “Garden of Graves”. About 50 miles from the Faery crossing, they are led to it.

High on an enormous ridge dark stone, the path winds to a dark tunnel. The rush of running water can be heard.

As you approach the tunnel into the ridge, something is chiseled into the stone and bits of broken stone lying about. Nar translates from the Elven, revealing a poem in common…

Count you the shadows, watch the sun,
The wise know where they stand;
While knowing not the time to shun,
The fools must find themselves undone.

Like lusiful swain or panicked child
Who beg another's gentle hand,
The fool delves heedless through the wild.
The wise are not so soon beguiled.

When darkness falls and dreams portend
The rising of a fearsome foe,
The fool, swift-striking, meets his end,
The wise know foe from friend.

Let art and image point the way,
Abandon all you think you know,
For common sense leads fool astray.
The key is simply this: Obey.

The wise must ever strategize;
They never play, unless to win.
They see the harm in comfort's lies,
And seek to open weary eyes.

You've fought your way, you've risked demise,
To view the ivy heart within.
Now as the soul within you dies,
This knowledge is your only prize:
You'd never have come, were you truly wise.

beggers_of_stone.jpg

The tunnel brings you into a cave with three statues. It doesn’t take Lucian long to trigger the crone, as the statue steps forth and starts inflicting great wounds. Eventually it is destroyed, and suddenly reappears were it was before. But the rogues idea of giving coins is not a bad one. When placed in the crone’s hand, the statues step aside. (EDIT) Of course, the crone also aged the tiefling several decades. Permanently. Fortunately the party had the right scroll to take care of it.

As you emerge from the passage, you see two paths stretching away from you; each is surrounded by high grass and thick trees. You hear the sound of rushing water somewhere to the east, but trees block sight of it. A clifface, composed of the same stone as the ridge you passed through, rises to the north. From here, you cannot see what lies atop it.

One path leads north, and one path east.

(OoC:

*during your months of recovery and preparation in Watercross, Northall, and Splintertoe Hollow, you spend 250 gp. Please note!

*you get 2600 xp for the session.

*when you post, please let me know how many hit points your character has left, and if they have used any surges or dailies.

*Now that Buckthorn has the bow, he can probably share out the potions
)

Last edited:

ecayford

First Post
Forge will look and listen carefully for any signs of movement or other dangers.

OOC - No dailies or HS used I don't think but I'll confirm later.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The rustling of the leaves and the distant sound of falling water contrast nicely with the horrors you know must lie beyond.

But you cannot really note any difference between either path.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases