Legacy of the Silver Dragon (Swords and Wizardry Core, 4th Ed)

gambler1650

Explorer
Ok, so a quick mention about Old School, die rolls, and my style of DMing this.

I don't mind if you make die rolls for your characters based on what you think you can do, and at times I may use it.. However, Old School is not about die rolling. It's about describing what you do, and the DM judging the result. Sure, there will be dice rolled, especially in combat, or dangerous situations (maintaining balance, etc).

However, as an example (not to pick on Fred, he's just the only one to have 'rolled dice' to try to do things):

Fred recently used dice in two situations that I basically 'ignored the roll' on and made a judgement:

1. When he entered the Half and Human, he rolled dice to see if he noticed the two clerics. He put it in his description of WHY he didn't see them that he was fairly distractable and sometimes unobservant as a character. If you decide to roll dice to see if your character does or doesn't do something in a relatively low key event like that, and use it as a RP hook of sorts, that's fine. However, I didn't feel the need to have everyone roll dice to see if they see each other, because the assumption was y'all were meeting there, and so eventually would notice each other, and made the judgement that the clerics would have noticed Antares.. it didn't seem to get picked up on, so Antares seeing them worked also (but I would have reiterated that the Clerics had seen him if it went on much longer).

2. The most recent event, where Fred rolled a D20 under wisdom to see if Antares noticed Bosco's sticky fingers in the store. There was no way that I would have judged that would succeed even with a '1', because Fred had not suggested that he was also keeping an eye on the interior of the store or Bosco. This is even without Fred having suggested that Antares wasn't the most observant guy in the world. ;)

Basically, if you want your character to do something, you have to describe it. So, one of the classic examples is "I search for traps." In D&D 3.0, Pathfinder, and so on, I'd probably just roll a die against your Search skill. Here, I'd say. "Ok. So where are you searching, how are you doing it, etc?" And if you go into every room saying "Ok, I'm searching the floor, the ceiling, the walls, running my hands along the cracks, etc..." (basically doing a thorough search of every room you enter), you'll have to realize that that kind of thing takes time (just try 'searching for traps' in your bathroom for instance, see how long it likely would take), and could lead to discovery by whoever's room you're searching, or just having a lot of time run away during the day.

So the rules of thumb here are:

1. If you don't describe what you're doing, I'll assume you aren't doing it and no die roll will help you,
2. If you do describe what you're doing, and it likely is in opposition to something someone else is doing (for example, hide vs someone actively searching), or there are varying degrees of success/failure possible, then I'll likely ask for a Die Roll and use that to judge the result,
3. If you do describe what you're doing, and it doesn't qualify for the conditions in 2, then I'll simply make a judgement based on what I know of the situation, any NPCs, and your characters,
4. If you try to over describe or say that you're looking at everything, be prepared for that to take a lot of time along with whatever consequences might come from that. :)

It doesn't HURT to include a Die Roll whenever you think it might be needed, but be aware that I will decide to use, or not use, the die roll based on the above guidelines. And even if you don't include a die roll when I decide one is needed, I may just roll it myself to decide the result if it's something the result of shouldn't be immediately obvious to the player.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
2. The most recent event, where Fred rolled a D20 under wisdom to see if Antares noticed Bosco's sticky fingers in the store. There was no way that I would have judged that would succeed even with a '1', because Fred had not suggested that he was also keeping an eye on the interior of the store or Bosco. This is even without Fred having suggested that Antares wasn't the most observant guy in the world. ;)
True. ;) I figured he was facing Jorgen who came out of the store (i.e. Antares was facing the store) and so probably had Bosco in his line of sight. As a DM I would probably have rolled a Delicate Task roll for Bosco and, on a failure, used Antares' Wis roll to see if he saw, so to speak. Hence the furnished roll. I understand what you're saying though.

Binder Fred

Gambler1650 said:
1. Antares wants to check out the other stores to see if similar events have occurred (I believe you've used both Detect Magics for the day? I would go back to check, but the site is extremely slow for me).
Actually, I'm hoping he's still somewhere in the middle of his first. Each Detect Magic lasts 20 minutes game time and I figure detecting the sound of the bell, walking accross the street and then talking to Jorgen can't have consumed more than 10 of those minutes, tops. Your call, of course.

gambler1650

Explorer
Actually, I'm hoping he's still somewhere in the middle of his first. Each Detect Magic lasts 20 minutes game time and I figure detecting the sound of the bell, walking accross the street and then talking to Jorgen can't have consumed more than 10 of those minutes, tops. Your call, of course.

Right. I went back and reviewed and you're correct. Apologies for being a touch more disorganized than I usually am with keeping track of this, but I often rely on looking back at old posts - and ENworld has been horrifically slow for me of late, so I've been trying to rely on memory! Need to start writing this stuff down more frequently.

Apologies for my slow posting over the past week or so. Between the holidays, work and a nasty cold that swept through all four members of my family, I haven't been online as much as usual.

Binder Fred

Updated Antares' WISHLIST in the RG with "An official title/nickname to call himself ("Antares the...", "Antares of...").". :) Link in my sig if you need it.

Binder Fred

While I have the time: you remember the "arrows as magic missiles" power Antares has, right Gambler? Along with the need to carry an actual bow and arrows as "material components"? I was wondering if those could be made to look more like actuall material components than weapons? Say 2-inch wooden shards, each carefully carved from the core of single arrow for the missiles and a golden miniature bow, all kept in his rigid leather ingredient pouch (right hip)? Same weight and price as the regular stuff.

Disadvantage would be that he can't loan any of it to a regular archer. Only advantage that I can see is probably that people can't tell he's armed from afar (though "unarmored and wearing starry robes" is probably enough of a giveaway for most people, even without the pointy hat ;)).

What do you think?

gambler1650

Explorer
That sounds fine to me... Sorry for the delay on the reply, Real Life has really intruded heavily of late. Digging out enough to start checking in here more regularly...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases