Legacy of the Silver Dragon (Swords and Wizardry Core, 4th Ed)

gambler1650

Explorer
This is a new PbP based on the Swords and Wizardy Core (4th edition) ruleset. I aim to get started between next weekend (August 20th) and the end of the month, depending on how things flow.

Here you can find both the free PDF, and the print edition of the 4th edition rules (if you decide to order the print edition from another vendor, be careful as there are multiple editions still available):

http://stores.lulu.com/mythmere

Below is a quick description of the campaign, more will be provided soon.

CAMPAIGN BRIEF

The backdrop is a small town on the outskirts of human civilization that had a protector in the form of a Silver Dragon named Eliaesel, who lived in a mountain nearby. She was effectively the ruler of the town, although she empowered a council to overrule her rulings if 3/4 of the members agreed to do so. The council was made up with equal numbers from all facets and races of society.

And then Eliaesel vanished (not sure how long ago, likely 5-10 years before the start of the campaign). The town hoped she would return, but none sent to the mountain to search for her were able to find her lair, or if they did - none that did returned. Instead they found hostile humanoids, which had left the town alone due to its protector.

Currently the town is in a state of flux. The Council attempts to hold onto its power, but without a strong leader over it, they get little done. They have called for a vote by the populace to elect such a leader, and numerous people have thrown their hat into the ring.. but the politics have grown fractious, and no matter who wins - large portions of the populace will likely be unhappy.

And, those aforementioned hostile humanoids are beginning to realize that the town is no longer as well defended as it once was... Caravans need guards, the town's threats need to be scouted, and there are rumors of items in ruins and caverns in the mountain which could be used to protect the town. Within the town itself, factions try to dig up dirt on those who wish to become the leader of the council. There are opportunities aplenty for those who would style themselves a hero... or for those who just wish to change their lot in life and level of income.

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
One thing I'm debating is starting stats and character generation:

Unlike more modern iterations, abilities really aren't as important - or at least don't appear to be at first blush. The range of modifiers and what they modify is generally less (though 4th edition S&W did add a few additional modifiers). What a high attribute is often best for is that it provides a 5% increase in XP received if your profession's prime attribute (strength for a fighter for instance) is 13+, so the character advances more quickly.

The REAL killer is hit points. If you roll a 1 for HP, your character pretty much is guaranteed to die unless you're super cautious and lucky). And unless you have a CON of 13+, you always have a chance of starting with 1 HP. I do plan to run this without fudging die rolls, though I plan to provide some help (see below) since most of us aren't used to the old school style.

I propose the following for character generation:

3D6 in order (in other words, roll the dice for each attribute).

If your character has either of the following conditions, you may reroll it:

Less than 54 TOTAL points for attributes (the average is 63 - 10.5 per attribute, 54 is if you rolled a 9 on every attribute), OR

No attribute 13 or above.

Now it's also possible to have 3-4 people who all roll up a character that would be a better fighter than anything else. To allow for party flexibility, I will permit each character to switch any two attributes.

For Hit Points: Roll the die for your class as given, divide by 2 (rounding down) and add to HALF the maximum HP you could have achieved. Then add/subtract your CON modifier.

So, let's say you're a Fighter with a CON of 14 (+1 to HP). Your hit die is 1D10. Half of your maximum HP (10) at Level 1 is 5. You roll a 3, which is halved and rounded down to 1. 5 + 1 (Die Roll) + 1 (CON Bonus) = 7

So, what I suggest is.. once you've looked at the rules, roll up a set of attributes. One way to determine the party composition would be to then post the attributes with your first and second choice of character (profession and race). Then discuss amongst yourselves who (if anyone) will switch attributes in order to make the party more diverse.

If you prefer to keep your character's attributes/class (even race) secret for some reason, then feel free to message me with the attributes/character class/race, and when I've seen the whole list, I can make suggestions as to if someone should change their classes, or do a swap of two of their attributes.

So, additional 'help' to the party. I plan to use a 'Hero Point' type system, where you can spend a Hero Point to:

1. Force one reroll (but you must take the result).
2. Cause any damage that would reduce you to 0 or less HP to leave you at 1 HP.
(Possibly others if I think of them)

Players will start with 1 Hero Point, and gain extra Hero points by, well, doing things heroically.

There's a fine line between heroic and foolhardy however. Simply charging 10 orcs as soon as you see them (think Han Solo and stormtroopers), isn't going to get a Hero Point. If somehow you do so and take out all 10, then probably you'll get a Hero Point. If you hold a doorway against 10 orcs when one of your company is down, and the other is desperately trying to find a way out of the apparently dead end you're in - you'll probably get a Hero Point, possibly even before the scene is completed (allowing you to hold out longer).

Hero Points will also be awarded for good roleplaying. If you consistently write:

"I'm swinging my sword at the nearest Orc, hoping to protect the wizard."

you'll only get Hero Points for actions described above. If however you provide more description and make your character seem to come alive through your writing, you'll likely get a Hero Point after major climaxes (the end of a particular adventure, or series of events). This doesn't mean that you have to write paragraphs of literature. But as in the example above, something like:

<Character Name> steps forward menacingly, keeping himself between the slavering orc and the fallen wizard. "You're NOT getting past me," he says, and then brings his axe smashing down towards the orc's head.

would be sufficient if that level of description is done consistently.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The backdrop is a small town on the outskirts of human civilization that had a protector in the form of a Silver Dragon named Eliaesel, who lived in a mountain nearby. She was effectively the ruler of the town, although she empowered a council to overrule her rulings if 3/4 of the members agreed to do so. The council was made up with equal numbers from all facets and races of society.

And then Eliaesel vanished (not sure how long ago, likely 5-10 years before the start of the campaign). The town hoped she would return, but none sent to the mountain to search for her were able to find her lair, or if they did - none that did returned. Instead they found hostile humanoids, which had left the town alone due to its protector.

Currently the town is in a state of flux. The Council attempts to hold onto its power, but without a strong leader over it, they get little done. They have called for a vote by the populace to elect such a leader, and numerous people have thrown their hat into the ring.. but the politics have grown fractious, and no matter who wins - large portions of the populace will likely be unhappy.

And, those aforementioned hostile humanoids are beginning to realize that the town is no longer as well defended as it once was... Caravans need guards, the town's threats need to be scouted, and there are rumors of items in ruins and caverns in the mountain which could be used to protect the town. Within the town itself, factions try to dig up dirt on those who wish to become the leader of the council. There are opportunities aplenty for those who would style themselves a hero... or for those who just wish to change their lot in life and level of income.
Two thumbs up. Classic in feel, and a good framework for future stuff.

Fenris

Adventurer
I agree, sounds like a great start. Does the town have a name?

I will get a set of stats up and see what the dice have in store for me. Oh such a sense of wonder, not knowing what I will play till I see the rolls :)

gambler1650

Explorer
Whizbang: Thanks!

Fenris: The rolls you made fall under the second category for a re-roll of the character if you want it (no attribute above 13). If you want to keep the rolls, feel free to do so.

The town is named Ascadar after the adventurer that founded it in the past (specific time line will be forthcoming sometime in the next week or so).

Looks like the person I was hoping to drag into the game is willing to do so, and I see we have a fourth person interested, so we may have the starting group of players set.

Fenris

Adventurer
Whizbang: Thanks!

Fenris: The rolls you made fall under the second category for a re-roll of the character if you want it (no attribute above 13). If you want to keep the rolls, feel free to do so.

The town is named Ascadar after the adventurer that founded it in the past (specific time line will be forthcoming sometime in the next week or so).

Looks like the person I was hoping to drag into the game is willing to do so, and I see we have a fourth person interested, so we may have the starting group of players set.

Alright, let me give it a second try!

gambler1650

Explorer
Ok, those rolls are accepted... :)

Note that if you choose a Cleric, you get 1 bonus first level spell due to a Wisdom above 15+. Otherwise, Clerics can't cast spells until 2nd level.

Remember also that you can switch any two attributes if you'd prefer NOT to play a cleric.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Alright, here I go:

STATS:
3d6=18, 3d6=5, 3d6=13, 3d6=10, 3d6=12, 3d6=13. Switching CHA for INT, that gives us:
STR 18
DEX 5
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 12
CHA 10

GOLD: 3d6=15*10= 150 gp

HP: 1d8=2, 1d4=4 = (4+(2/2) + 2+(4/2))/2 + 1 Con = 5 HP (and half a hit point in storage for the next level)

SPELLS:
Chosen: Detect Magic, Read Magic and Sleep.
Random in alphabetical order: 1d100=6, 1d100=85, 1d100=49, 1d100=32, 1d100=10, 1d100=69, 1d100=16 -> Gained Charm Person, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Shield.

Antares, the Elven Fighter/Magic User is born! ;)

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Ok, so our character list so far is:

Bosco Bracegirdle: Halfling Thief (Dextrous and Charismatic... and apparently at least somewhat wise.. the first two are classic Thief.. The last... refreshingly unusual ;) )
Antares: Elven Fighter/Magic User (Pretty nice all around... Super strong, relatively smart and socially average, but not so dextrous... :) )

(Fenris, any idea what you want to play ?)

This could be an interesting party given the background for the town. As I've written it (and I'll have a more thorough description soon), it's 51% human, 30% halfling, 12% dwarf, 7% elf. One of the dynamics of the town is that under Eliaesel, all races and levels of prosperity (poor through rich) had equal representation (so the actual racial makeup on the council is 25% for each race). Not everyone felt that was fair, but given the prosperity the town achieved - out of proportion for its location on the edge of human civilization - complaints were mostly mere grumblings. Now that Eliaesel is gone, the humans are beginning to try to assert what they see as their right of majority to rule, while other races try to hold on to their slice of the political pie. This situation is also bringing those former grumblings simmering into something a bit uglier - outright racism, especially against dwarves and elves. As is usually the case, the average human likes the other races well enough and is willing to let them live and let live. It's the vocal (often drunken) component that's the most dangerous to non-humans. Some of the human 'politicians' vying for head of the council are subtly to not so subtly playing on these themes. Generally those from the other races are playing up the theme of past prosperity that cooperation achieved.

The upshot, since there are two non-humans already, is that if you're from the town, you've seen (and heard from elders) how things have changed in a short time noticeably.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases