DT's The Undiscovered Frontier

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Your character can believe in any god you wish. There aren't any standing churches or temples left to tell him or her that he or she is wrong. Or you can decide to worship an ideal of code of ethics instead.

GlassEye

Adventurer
At this moment I'm thinking Warlock and/or Binder because I've never done one before. That may change if I find something else. Also tempted by beguiler, dragon shaman and shadowcaster (from ToM; but only if Ari's fixes are used as well). <sigh> Too many choices.

I'm having a harder time with finding a +1 LA race that I think I might enjoy. Everything seems to be very combat-focused except maybe that odd half-orcish race from Races of Destiny. I'm looking at the Raptoran but as far as I can tell there is no LA and no ability score modifiers. What I'm really feeling is something small and rat-like. Anyone know of such a thing?

If anyone has ideas, concerns, etc. let me know, please.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm considering a boosted Gnome Beguiler...

Might also try a tiefling fighter/rogue or heck Tieflings wouldn't make bad beguilers either...

I was also looking at the Draconic template from Races of the Dragon, and considering a dragon-themed sorceror...or perhaps a dragon disciple melee class...

So many things to choose from...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
GlassEye, I personally like some of the options out of the Planar Handbook.

I like the idea of playing a mephling sorcerer of wizard, and then basing all of the magic he learns off of his elemental as described in the Dragon article called "The Color of Magic". So a water mephling's magic missile spell might look like a shard of ice, or the shield spell be a thin layer of moving water that surrounds the mephling.

Another race I really like is the shadowswyfts for a rogue.

Of course you could go with one out of the Monster Manuals, as long as you pick one that is humanoid.

Also, Shayuri had a good suggestion for the boosting traits.

Shayuri, the beguiler is my favorite character class of all time. Dragon-based sorcerers are also always very cool.

Blood and Honor

First Post
Aasimar cleric is at the top of my list as the party buffer/healer. My other consideration is the crusader or warblade since I have never really got to play one.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'm glad you brought up a cleric. Thematically, I have no use for undead in this campaign. Normally I love using undead, but in this case they just don't work.

I plan on starting off with a primitive desert wasteland followed shortly after by a hot Meso-American themed jungle. The creatures will mainly be mongrel dog-men and lizard snake people, but no undead.

I'm laying out my cards a bit early in order to discourage players from creating healers with strong turn undead abilities. You might be better off going with a divine magic spellcaster with a different kit of back-up abilities, like the Archivist from Heroes of Horror; or use an alternate rules set that replaces the cleric turn undead ability with something else equally useful. Unfortunately, I just checked the normally reliable Player's Handbook II and it failed to provide a cleric option that swaps the turn undead function with something else.

I don't want to discourage anyone from playing a cleric, however. I'm a fan of the character class and two of the first magical items I envisioned letting the party find are based on a clerical healer.

Remove ads